steel bending carryover to wrestling

hudsonnoah

hello guys Im wondering is there any worthwhile carryover from steel bending to submission wrestling?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

look up the Raspberry Ape who just wrote a book on the matter.. Even Beyond the Bend has some podcasts with some grapplers..there are many benefits to steel bending, it builds a lot of strength and i'm sure the stronger wrists would help some.

But dont bend to get better at submission wrestling, bend because you want to. Do wrestling because you want to.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

For wrestling I would (apart from actually wrestling) adapt your supplementary full body training to be a bit forearm focused, instead of taking a forearm focused exercise. Bending will of course improve strength in areas other than the forearms, but it is not best bang for buck when it comes to something as endurance and power based as wrestling.

If you were supplementing your wrestling with a couple of barbell/dumbbell strength workouts per week, maybe you could add thick grips. This is an easy way to improve the strength you will need to control an opponent's wrist.

Or maybe you could use a Bulgarian bag, which is notably taxing on the grip, but also accommodates a fully athletic range of power/endurance exercises.

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 1

@Londonjoseph Might be able to tell you more about the carry over. I went to a AW practice with zero technical background, but was told that I was surprisingly solid which I definitely attribute to steel bending.

7 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

@Londonjoseph Might be able to tell you more about the carry over. I went to a AW practice with zero technical background, but was told that I was surprisingly solid which I definitely attribute to steel bending.

Arm wrestling, not surprised you found that your strength transferred. This guy was talking about submission wrestling though, so a bit less carry over.

Oops, my bad. Didn't read clearly enough 

25 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I did grappling for 5 years, so I still think I can have some say in the matter! Though, I started bending steel long after I stopped. 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:20 PM, hudsonnoah said:

hello guys Im wondering is there any worthwhile carryover from steel bending to submission wrestling?

Braced steel bending can help a lot in my own opinion, when it comes to submission grappling and/or jujitsu. Bending steel makes you strong in very strange positions. Braced bending in general gives you full body strength. However, I haven't practiced any grappling in years. 

A good person who still actively grapples and bends steel is @Donc101. Don is very strong and smart all around. He can elaborate further as to why it helps a lot, way better than I ever could! 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 4:35 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

look up the Raspberry Ape who just wrote a book on the matter.. Even Beyond the Bend has some podcasts with some grapplers..there are many benefits to steel bending, it builds a lot of strength and i'm sure the stronger wrists would help some.

But dont bend to get better at submission wrestling, bend because you want to. Do wrestling because you want to.

Overall, I think Joe says it best. 

Specificity is king. Bend steel if you want to be better at bending steel, or if you find it to be fun! To get better at grappling, good conditioning and (most importantly) mat time is best. 

Although, I think there's good healthy transfer between grappling and braced steel bending. 

• Like 2

Will say, best move braced steel bending transfers to is the WALLS OF JERICHO also known as THE BOSTON CRAB!!!!

jericho_walls_2062012cm_0975b_crop_exact.jpg

https___prod.static9.net.au___media_2017_10_02_12_58_jericho1000y.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2024 at 8:23 PM, Londonjoseph said:

I did grappling for 5 years, so I still think I can have some say in the matter! Though, I started bending steel long after I stopped. 

Braced steel bending can help a lot in my own opinion, when it comes to submission grappling and/or jujitsu. Bending steel makes you strong in very strange positions. Braced bending in general gives you full body strength. However, I haven't practiced any grappling in years. 

A good person who still actively grapples and bends steel is @Donc101. Don is very strong and smart all around. He can elaborate further as to why it helps a lot, way better than I ever could! 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:20 PM, hudsonnoah said:

I believe steel bending can be a very beneficial addition to your strength and conditioning training for wrestling/ grappling.  Here are a few thoughts:

·       Braced bending, especially long and mid-length bars, are a phenomenal developer of core strength that carries over very well to grappling.

·       Hand and wrist strength are essential to grappling and can be developed with steel bending.

·       Steel bending teaches you to create tension and force.

·       Steel bending builds isometric strength. Isometric strength is used a lot in grappling/ wrestling.

·       Steel snapping is a great conditioning drill that will help with your grappling conditioning.

·       Steel scrolling is sort of like wrestling a long bar and builds very useful strength for grappling.

The strength I have developed with bending is very useful when I am on the mat.