Catching the horseshoe bending bug again

David_wigren

Slowly working by way back into horseshoe bending again. Bent a Kerckhaert SSP #3 8x22mm. This used to be a very easy horseshoe for me back in the day. Hopefully with training it’ll get easy again. But it’ll take time to get back the strength and also toughen the legs and ribs in order to be able to handle the tougher shoes. 

The plan is to not rush it and settle for one session a week. Slowly moving to harder and harder shoes. I’m gonna try and climb Anton’s cert list of Kerckhaert shoes, one level at a time.

Apart from horseshoes I also plan to hit a 3/4” braced bend. Hopefully be able to bend one cut to 30”. I’ve got unfinished business with that particular bar!

• Like 8

I apologize for the poor sound quality. My phone is 8 years old by now and the mic gave up years ago.

nice work , incredible bend

• Like 1

Had an incredibly good session yeaterday.

After warming up with an SSP #3 22x8 I decided to go for a few heavier shoes. Last week I had used an SSP #0 22x8 as an iso-shoe for the kink. To my surprise I managed to kink it this time. Though I couldn’t get it much past 120 degrees. The legcrush was much tootough for my leg. I even suspect I managed to receive a minor injury as I stubbornly kept trying to finish the shoe. After this I went for a much harder shoe, the DF #4 25x10. And to an even bigger surprise, I managed to kink that shoe aswell. I had wrapped it and expected it to be an iso shoe. I did not expect to move it at all. After a bunch of attempts it ended up at about 80 degrees. I could not get it further as I couldn’t transition to the sweep and legcrush, because as I mentioned earlier, my leg couldn’t handle it.

I was insanely happy for this result. I truly did not expect to be moving shoes like these so soon after having started bending horseshoes again. I honestly suspected that I would never be able to bend shoes like these again. However, after my initial gleeful state, I began to worry that maybe I had gotten my hands on a particularly weak batch of this horseshoe. So I wrapped up an old SSP Extra #1 22x10, same as I certed on back in 2013. At this loint I was already pretty gassed. I made an effort to kink it and got about 20 degrees before i tore a callous in my palm. I took this as evidence that I had not come across a weak batch and that I really kinked one for real. 

Initially I told myself that I was only going to bend once a week. The success of yesterday’s session has me itching for more horseshoe bending. But I’m going to try and not overdo it and wait until next sunday before my next session. Like I said earlier, I think I might have gotten a minor injury on the too of my leg. Some rest would probably be good for letting that heal. 

I’m super excited for what I’ll be able to do over the next few months and for the rest of the year. The leg crush is probably what will hold me back initially, but after it catches up I’ll hopefully be bending the big shoes past 180 degrees. And maybe surpass my previous bast back in 2013.

• Like 3

No shoe is safe, the king has returned and he looks stronger than ever.

• Like 1