Can Coc #2 holds translate to an increase crushing power ?

alan_fra

Today I started a different routine of 1 rep Coc 2 holds. I hold it completely shut for as long as possible which is an average of 25 sec and then once it opens a mm or more keep it held for as long as I can which is so far 41 sec total. Will this translate into closing the Coc 2.5 easier or the Coc 3 ? Will it increase my general RGC pounds or kg on the dynamometer ? Time will tell but I'm doing the holds to exhaustion and right after I measured with the dynamometer and got 60 kg approximately and my record is 83 kg when fresh. Will I see strength improvements? It's a new way of doing things and it stimulates me a lot especially in the cardio way. I've done 5 sets so far today and its like really intense. I hope to see some progress soon

only up to a certain point. Then it becomes endurance.. If you are holding it shut for 25 seconds you gotta go up if you want to get stronger.

Your best off getting your grippers rated from Cannonpowerworks and go up in 3-5lbs increments until you reach your goal gripper.

• Like 3

Isometrics are one of the best ways to gain strength in a specific range, but typically if you can do it for 25 to 30 seconds then it is too easy for you. You should be altering the load such that you can only hold for 3 to 12 seconds, plus or minus whatever you feel like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

only up to a certain point. Then it becomes endurance.. If you are holding it shut for 25 seconds you gotta go up if you want to get stronger.

Your best off getting your grippers rated from Cannonpowerworks and go up in 3-5lbs increments until you reach your goal gripper.

Thanks for the reply !  I have the Barraban adjustable gripper that I recently closed on Monday at 132.5 RGC. The funny thing is that since then I haven't closed it again and just tried now and was 3 mm away. Has anyone experienced hitting a new PR RGC level and then struggled to close it again for days later ? I supposed I will try holding a stronger gripper that I recently closed like the Coc 2.5 for seconds to improve in strength some more like it was recommended. That will be harder

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

Thanks for the reply !  I have the Barraban adjustable gripper that I recently closed on Monday at 132.5 RGC. The funny thing is that since then I haven't closed it again and just tried now and was 3 mm away. Has anyone experienced hitting a new PR RGC level and then struggled to close it again for days later ? I supposed I will try holding a stronger gripper that I recently closed like the Coc 2.5 for seconds to improve in strength some more like it was recommended. That will be harder

Forgive me for I am on the new side to gripper training, however.

if you close a 1 rep Pr, you’re going to create quite a bit of fatigue, so for the next few to several days, you will need to recover before being fresh enough to close your max again. 

if your are able to close a certain RGC for 1 rep everyday, it’s probably not your true max

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruxGripman said:

Forgive me for I am on the new side to gripper training, however.

if you close a 1 rep Pr, you’re going to create quite a bit of fatigue, so for the next few to several days, you will need to recover before being fresh enough to close your max again. 

if your are able to close a certain RGC for 1 rep everyday, it’s probably not your true max

Yes. Thanks for the advice ! On April 12 I could rep the Baraban 130 2 times. Then on April 13 I switched up to 132.5 and finally on April 15 3 days later I closed it the first time and held it for 5 sec. It makes sense that there could be fatigue as a result of maxing out. I just tried again on the 132.5 and was 2 mm away. So it looks like I have to be at peak form to close it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

Yes. Thanks for the advice ! On April 12 I could rep the Baraban 130 2 times. Then on April 13 I switched up to 132.5 and finally on April 15 3 days later I closed it the first time and held it for 5 sec. It makes sense that there could be fatigue as a result of maxing out. I just tried again on the 132.5 and was 2 mm away. So it looks like I have to be at peak form to close it. 

Do you have any rest days? Sounds like you're training grippers daily and multiple times a day, which is probably not optimal. It wouldn't work for me anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alan_fra said:

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Do you have any rest days? Sounds like you're training grippers daily and multiple times a day, which is probably not optimal. It wouldn't work for me anyway.

Yes, there is definitely fatigue associated with maxing out on grippers, both muscle and CNS fatigue. Training daily can work early on, or can work with higher volume in certain instances of more trained individuals, but I don't know of an instance where people can get away daily low-volume/high-intensity work without degradation of results. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Yes, I technically have 3 days off a week.  Now its supposed to be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Then 4 days on. I actually do train grippers recently in max attempts to get a PR even in the early morning. It fatigues me so much that I even take hour long rests in between, sometimes more. For example 7 am , 8 , 9, 10 , 1 , 2 , 3 pm. Maybe 7 to 10 attempts in a day. 

11 hours ago, alan_fra said:

Yes, I technically have 3 days off a week.  Now its supposed to be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Then 4 days on. I actually do train grippers recently in max attempts to get a PR even in the early morning. It fatigues me so much that I even take hour long rests in between, sometimes more. For example 7 am , 8 , 9, 10 , 1 , 2 , 3 pm. Maybe 7 to 10 attempts in a day. 

I have experimented with this style of training in the past, though I was not doing closes anywhere near my max. More like 50-80%. It works great as a plateau buster with noticeable gains for 1 to 2 weeks, likely due to an adaptation to newly introduced stimuli - but that was the limit for me, after which there were diminishing returns or even a regression.

I'd recommend only training in this manner a few times a year, for a couple of weeks at a time, if you insist on training in this way. Otherwise, there are more efficient and better ways to get stronger, in my personal experience.

But feel free to find what works for you. Experimenting is part of the fun. I'm experimenting with some extremely low volume mid-week training currently (opposite my normal Saturday gripper session), after being firm on only ever touching grippers 1 day per week for a long time (which is still my position on gripper training generally speaking).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

I have experimented with this style of training in the past, though I was not doing closes anywhere near my max. More like 50-80%. It works great as a plateau buster with noticeable gains for 1 to 2 weeks, likely due to an adaptation to newly introduced stimuli - but that was the limit for me, after which there were diminishing returns or even a regression.

I'd recommend only training in this manner a few times a year, for a couple of weeks at a time, if you insist on training in this way. Otherwise, there are more efficient and better ways to get stronger, in my personal experience.

But feel free to find what works for you. Experimenting is part of the fun. I'm experimenting with some extremely low volume mid-week training currently (opposite my normal Saturday gripper session), after being firm on only ever touching grippers 1 day per week for a long time (which is still my position on gripper training generally speaking).

Thank you for the advice! Yeah , I plan to do these maximum attempt training to the point where I keep getting gains but if I reach a plateau then I plan to switch to a different method of training.

...Otherwise, there are more efficient and better ways to get stronger, in my personal experience..... What do you recommend for more efficient and better ways to get stronger ?

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 4:50 AM, alan_fra said:

Today I started a different routine of 1 rep Coc 2 holds. I hold it completely shut for as long as possible which is an average of 25 sec and then once it opens a mm or more keep it held for as long as I can which is so far 41 sec total. Will this translate into closing the Coc 2.5 easier or the Coc 3 ? Will it increase my general RGC pounds or kg on the dynamometer ? Time will tell but I'm doing the holds to exhaustion and right after I measured with the dynamometer and got 60 kg approximately and my record is 83 kg when fresh. Will I see strength improvements? It's a new way of doing things and it stimulates me a lot especially in the cardio way. I've done 5 sets so far today and its like really intense. I hope to see some progress soon

Do you have a  heavier gripper than a Coc #2?  If not, what set are using to close the #2?  Let's say you're using a parallel set, than open up the gripper wider for closes in the mean time until you get a heavier gripper than that to close for holds.   Use what you have to increase the difficulty for now.   

Stay strong :rock

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forever said:

Do you have a  heavier gripper than a Coc #2?  If not, what set are using to close the #2?  Let's say you're using a parallel set, than open up the gripper wider for closes in the mean time until you get a heavier gripper than that to close for holds.   Use what you have to increase the difficulty for now.   

Stay strong :rock

Hi. Yes, I have a Coc 2.5 , Coc 3 , GOG 5 , GOG 6 , and RB a. The big challenge right now is closing the RB a 132.5 again. I did it Monday for the first time but since then I have not closed it again. I just tried 5 min ago and was like 9 mm off. This is tricky. I had 2 days of rest also so it looks like I need to reevaluate my training methods sooner then I thought. 

On 4/19/2024 at 1:16 PM, Jared P said:

Is training grippers once a week a heavily common thing amongst gripsters?

are there any super high level guys training more then once a week?

somehow once a week doesn’t seem like enough, I’m still very new, but at the start I was doing high volume and training 4 days a week, the fatigue would build up fast (about 3 weeks) then I’d take a week off and next session would be PR city

Now I’m down to training twice a week with less volume and I’m seem to be plateauing.

so at this stage my personal instincts are telling me to train an extra day and add volume, but commonality amongst other gripsters only training once a week is persuading me otherwise 

8 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

Is training grippers once a week a heavily common thing amongst gripsters?

are there any super high level guys training more then once a week?

somehow once a week doesn’t seem like enough, I’m still very new, but at the start I was doing high volume and training 4 days a week, the fatigue would build up fast (about 3 weeks) then I’d take a week off and next session would be PR city

Now I’m down to training twice a week with less volume and I’m seem to be plateauing.

so at this stage my personal instincts are telling me to train an extra day and add volume, but commonality amongst other gripsters only training once a week is persuading me otherwise 

I think it is fairly common, yes. Carl, Ivan, Dubya, Derek and many other high-level gripper athletes only train 1 day per week, or once every 4-7 days, I believe.

Your mileage may vary, and I did not mean to claim that one day per week is the only or best training strategy to implement. Many other athletes have taken a training approach that was more frequent.

I do not believe grippers are an exact science, nor is there a one-size-fits-all program that works for every person. I think it differs for everyone, and even differs over time for each individual. I've changed my training a bunch over the past 2-3 years. Every person has to find what works for them and what doesn't work for them, and change and adapt as needed.

The most important elements to consider seem to be: Intensity, Volume, Consistency, Rest, Recovery. The challenge and journey is figuring out how to best calibrate these to consistently make progress, and overcome any plateaus.

From what I've heard, what worked with the lower RGCs may not work with the heavier RGCs.

• Thanks 1