Does the diameter of a gripper handle make much difference to its perceived difficulty

Fradders

So I was wondering if different manufacturers have different handle diameters and if it affects how difficult they are. Did any manufacturers make varying diameter handles for their grippers

38 minutes ago, Fradders said:

So I was wondering if different manufacturers have different handle diameters and if it affects how difficult they are. Did any manufacturers make varying diameter handles for their grippers

To answer your first question, yes. Quite a few manufacturers stick to 19mm handles. Notable larger handles (20mm) came from Robert Baraban. A few different companies have 18mm, such as Grip Genie. 

How it affects difficulty is a different beast. Technically, the ROM changes by 2mm for every one mm you change the diameter, and increasing the ROM should make it more difficult. The confounding part is that many of the 18mm handle grippers have narrower starting spreads, which can make it feel easier. On the other end of the spectrum, 20mm handles have a shorter ROM and should be easier, but sometimes these can feel awkward to set and therefore feel more difficult, at least they did to me when I first tried them. Not so much anymore. 

Other examples of different handle sizes include ‘hybrid’ grippers which would feature one smaller handle, sometimes 5/8”, again with the idea of increasing the ROM. Silvis (and maybe others?) had some 1” handles for there adjustables as well (the gripper of doom). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:52 PM, Fradders said:

It's plays a role, like everything do. But the handle spread is more important in my opinion, especially when it's really hard grippers. 19 mm or 20 mm diameter is not that big of a difference but let's say 70 mm vs 80 mm handle spread will make a really huge difference in difficulty.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:40 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

How it affects difficulty is a different beast. Technically, the ROM changes by 2mm for every one mm you change the diameter, and increasing the ROM should make it more difficult.

The ROM increases by 1mm for every 1mm added to diameter since diameter applies it to both sides, which means 0.5mm per handle, assuming the same spring width and handle set of course. 1mm on the radius means 2mm on the ROM but also 2mm on the handle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slipshod said:

The ROM increases by 1mm for every 1mm added to diameter since diameter applies it to both sides, which means 0.5mm per handle, assuming the same spring width and handle set of course. 1mm on the radius means 2mm on the ROM but also 2mm on the handle

Yes, you’re correct. I was thinking of this incorrectly. Like if you were to file said 1 mm off of each handle, which is the incorrect way to conceptualize the change. Thanks! 

I have actually figured out the mechanics past what has ever been discussed on this website of what actually creates the difficulty differences regarding handle diameter differences, but this website is notorious for mocking any sort of techincal terms so I'll just keep it to myself

:)

11 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

На самом деле я разобрался в механике того, что когда-либо обсуждалось на этом веб-сайте, и в том, что на самом деле создает различия в сложности, связанные с различиями в диаметрах рукояток, но этот веб-сайт известен тем, что высмеивает любые технические термины, поэтому я просто оставлю это при себе.

:)

I would like to hear your opinion on this matter

3 minutes ago, Zeferin said:

I would like to hear your opinion on this matter

Ya i know. I've had one of the website moderaters here curse me out for saying the word medial. So, not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

@C8Myotome Yeah man, withholding information that could help someone because you are bitter and would rather whine about the past is a great way to improve your interactions with people on this forum.

Nailed it!

Let's get back on topic here.

• Like 1

This isn't as complicated as people are trying to make it. Smaller handle makes a gripper harder both because you have to make a tighter fist and because you are moving the spring more which gets harder the farther it is bent. So even if you took a a single gripper and swapped the handles for smaller ones, this will increase the difficulty and the RGC without changing the spring at all, and the spread will increase by twice the diameter of the handle increase. The more closed your hand is the weaker you are, muscles are weaker at the fully lengthened state and at the fully flexed state.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Это не так сложно, как люди пытаются это сделать. Меньшая ручка делает захват более трудным как потому, что вам приходится сжимать кулак сильнее, так и потому, что вы сильнее перемещаете пружину, которая становится тяжелее, чем дальше она согнута. Так что даже если вы взяли одинарный захват и поменяли рукоятки на меньшие, это увеличит сложность и РГК вообще не меняя пружину, а разброс увеличится в два раза, увеличится диаметр рукоятки. Чем более сомкнута ваша рука, тем вы слабее, мышцы слабее как в полностью вытянутом состоянии, так и в полностью согнутом.

thanks for the answer