Chalk

SOCK BOY

Is there a’best’ make of chalk for using on grip tools ? 
Anybody have a favourite brand of chalk ? 

Need to order some chalk & thought I’d do a bit of research before I ordered. 
Cheers 

• Like 1

Similar question, is there a chalk that people would REALLY like to see CPW carry? 

• Like 4

Somewhere way back on the Gripboard I wrote up a sort of comparison of some of the various chalks if anyone can find it - not sure what all I tried for it.  Being a climber I have tried about everything.  I think there have been more Euro pinch Records set here in my garage than anywhere outside of David Horne's.  They were all set using my "Bucket" - which contains the left over chalks I used climbing.  Bits and pieces of several kinds.  The only one I didn't like at all for grip was the one I did like for Kettlebell - it was slippery and felt like talcum powder - wish I could remember what it was - Bison maybe?

• Like 1

Spider Chalk is the best, in my opinion.  I like the mega blocks, a lot.  They are super dense.  If you're hands are really sweaty, it can "harden" the block up and the chalk doesn't rub on as easily, but you can easily just scrape the hardened layer off or rub it with a rag and it is good as new.  To combat this, I use a combo of the powder as a base coat, then reapply with the block throughout my workout.  The powder is really fine and dry.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Somewhere way back on the Gripboard I wrote up a sort of comparison of some of the various chalks if anyone can find it - not sure what all I tried for it.  Being a climber I have tried about everything.  I think there have been more Euro pinch Records set here in my garage than anywhere outside of David Horne's.  They were all set using my "Bucket" - which contains the left over chalks I used climbing.  Bits and pieces of several kinds.  The only one I didn't like at all for grip was the one I did like for Kettlebell - it was slippery and felt like talcum powder - wish I could remember what it was - Bison maybe?

Thanks for that. 
I have a few different types & just wondered if there was a top dog chalk. 

just ordered some spider . Thanks 

Edited by SOCK BOY

1 hour ago, dubyagrip said:

Spider Chalk is the best, in my opinion.  I like the mega blocks, a lot.  They are super dense.  If you're hands are really sweaty, it can "harden" the block up and the chalk doesn't rub on as easily, but you can easily just scrape the hardened layer off or rub it with a rag and it is good as new.  To combat this, I use a combo of the powder as a base coat, then reapply with the block throughout my workout.  The powder is really fine and dry.

Have you tried any of their liquids? 

11 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Have you tried any of their liquids? 

I don't use liquid as it isn't really allowed in comps or certs.

9 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Yeah. It's so much easier to stock and ship though. My heart is in the wrong place. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Different people like different chalks - maybe it kind of depends on the oils/moisture in ones hands?  I have found I like different climbing chalk where it's very hot and humid compared to dry/less humid.  My Euro experiments say Liquid Chalk isn't as good as regular - I've spent way too much time playing the Euro Chalk/surface prep game. Tried different soaps etc. for prep - even tried overloading using "tacky" (it doesn't work - you can do more with chalk).  Tried "super cleaning" with brake cleaner - lacquer thinner - etc.  A light coating of chalk wins out every time (lighter than most think).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have God's of grip liquid chalk. Works fine. 

On 4/10/2024 at 2:04 PM, climber511 said:

I have a slippery chalk for kettlebell. Mueller I think. Blue and white round talc bottle shape.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:07 PM, dubyagrip said:

I have my gym set up in the basement and I got sick of the chalk dust floating out of my gym room and into the rec room, so a few years ago I switched to liquid chalk.  In all honesty, I still think I can lift more with regular block chalk than the liquid, but it definitely solved my dust problem!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

I have my gym set up in the basement and I got sick of the chalk dust floating out of my gym room and into the rec room, so a few years ago I switched to liquid chalk.  In all honesty, I still think I can lift more with regular block chalk than the liquid, but it definitely solved my dust problem!

That's a really good point.  My house looks like a scene from scarface.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

That's a really good point.  My house looks like a scene from scarface.

IMG_0374.jpeg.aeecff73ff6c603f54a5024f94020daf.jpeg

• Haha 3

Friction Labs and Sorinex Mighty Mitts.

There's a lot of validation for Friction Labs. 99 Boulders also found FL (Unicorn Dust) to be the best, and Jared (of defunct Mammoth Grip Tools and the guy that invented the Trilobite Handle) did a pretty well controlled experiment (video now private) and Friction Labs (Bam Bam) turned out the best.The chunkiness you choose shouldn't matter. 

I think most gripsters have settled on Mighty Mitts (Gripboard Talk). It feels identical to what @dubyagrip explains with Spyder Chalk (I have both). However, if I were to pick one, I'm gonna trust the brand of the man himself, @1stCoC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

Friction Labs and Sorinex Mighty Mitts.

There's a lot of validation for Friction Labs. 99 Boulders also found FL (Unicorn Dust) to be the best, and Jared (of defunct Mammoth Grip Tools and the guy that invented the Trilobite Handle) did a pretty well controlled experiment (video now private) and Friction Labs (Bam Bam) turned out the best.The chunkiness you choose shouldn't matter. 

I think most gripsters have settled on Mighty Mitts (Gripboard Talk). It feels identical to what @dubyagrip explains with Spyder Chalk (I have both). However, if I were to pick one, I'm gonna trust the brand of the man himself, @1stCoC.

I tried and liked Sorinex Mighty Mitts after @Jedd Johnson mentioned it in episode 15/31 in #31DaysOfQnA,"What's the Best Chalk for Grip Training? NAPALM's Favorite Chalk".

Previously I was using Primo which in comparison was very fine--almost dusty.  So far I'm finding the Sorinex works better for me because the Primo would sometimes feel slick as it filled in my fingerprints or the wee bits of texture on the implement.

• Like 2

I started using David Hornes about 15 months ago id say. Took a while getting used to, as its fine and when my hands got sweaty it would cake up... Found out I only need a little bit plus rubbing my hands together and clapping a few times.

Mighty Mitts for the same reasons @Douglas Carney and I like it but still haven't dialed my technique in with it.  I like having both around and they are both useful to me. I wish there was a source for Davids chalk in the states... I'm happy to support him but it financially doesn't make sense to buy chalk from him unless its a big order due to shipping.

Probably, it would be best to sell both blocks and loose if it financially makes sense to carry both.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 4:04 PM, climber511 said:

These might be the threads you're talking about

1 hour ago, lder said:

Sorinex Mighty Mitts is by far the best and most consistent chalk I have used. 

Just bloody expensive to get in the uk. 

I have tried every variation (not kidding) of chalk there is over 30+ years. In dry conditions, humid, ‘climber’s chalk’ ‘gym chalk’.  Spider chalk is the best. 

With that being said, @Cannon I would carry both Spider chalk as well as good old magnesium carbonate. Offer people a premium product, as well as a ‘budget’ product that works perfectly well for most people. Folks will buy both. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Aroostook Barbell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use Rage Fitness chalk (the only chalk I've ever used so far), because it's cheap, and it works just fine for grippers. Not sure how it would fare with other grip lifts though.

I'm interested in trying Spider Chalk and Mighty Mitts.

• Like 1

• Like 3

Above video was done about 4 months ago - chalk preference is Sorinex Mighty Mitts.