2024 U.S. Grip Sport National Championship, San Diego, CA - Michael Thomas

Kluv#0

First of all, I want to Thank Will Guiliani who put together this top-shelf contest and was a very strong dude. It is not easy to promote, organize, keep score and do what you do on the platform - all with skill and positive disposition! Will has the perfect people skills to continue to gather new and exciting talent- women and men.  His company West Coast Arm Sports will flourish for a long time. Bottomline, Will is the man.

My desire and hope were to meet Jedd Johnson someday and when the location for this contest was announced I knew I had to attend. I have a fear of flying that is crazy but some people have that fear. Step one was to get on the plane and arrive and step two was could my lower back withstand Event 1 - DO Ironmind Axle. I had put in about 6 weeks of intense plank work, back prehab, massages and it paid off as my lower back made it thru the Axle pulling a stress free 352 LB. 4 attempts- 4 good lifts.

Event 2 - 2" x 5" Saxon Bar - I had never tried this size Saxon before. I was conservative not only because of 6 events but not knowing exactly how this bar was with heavier weight. I ended with an easy 220 LB. with much more in tank. Happy that lower back was feeling good. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 3 - 2.5" FBBC Crusher- I had only trained this event with my left hand as I wanted to rest my right hand for the subsequent events. However, the competition was awesome, so I had to rely on my right and ended with 176 LB. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 4 - Ironmind LBH- I had not trained vertical since Kong '20 so my goal was 200 LB and ended with a low stress 198 LB. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 5 - Ironmind Silver Bullet - NOT EASY after 4 events but I was hopeful to hold the 3.5# (178#) and I did just that 3.26 Seconds. I purchased Jedd's Silver Bullet Program and it helped as I was training with 7.5 LB and CoC 3.5 (184#) 1 attempt - 1 good squeeze

Event 6- Canary Island Medley- This is what makes Grip Sport so freakin AWESOME! What a collection of items to lift and truly a disneyland feel for a gripster. My best moment of the entire 8 1/2-hour contest was a Dominating 32 KG (70 LB) Kettlebell Pronation Wrist Flip - which only one other person completed - Mike Gentile. It was nice to showcase that wrist talent and to have my wife tell me afterwards the audience positive reaction to it. 

At the awards ceremony, I spoke from my heart what I wished to share, and I will leave that forever with that group of incredible gripsters and supportive spectators. Grateful!

Finally, to meet the GOAT Jedd Johnson and to hang out, have dinner Friday night at Benihana and watch this man do what he can do on Saturday was EPIC! Jedd is not only fiercely talented, but he is a freakin grip SAVANT. I Thank You and big CONGRATS for flying the long distance and defending your championship belt. Jedd Johnson- the Gripsport GOAT!!!!!! To conclude this "Bucket List" of mine, I had dinner after the long but enjoyable contest with Jedd, John Machnik - who is the most underrated Gripster in the entire world- John finished overall 3rd Place and his wonderful wife. 

Congrats to all that put their skill on display and the spectators! What a collection of talent and more importantly classy individuals. Long live GRIPSPORT

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

First of all, I want to Thank Will Guiliani who put together this top-shelf contest and was a very strong dude. It is not easy to promote, organize, keep score and do what you do on the platform - all with skill and positive disposition! Will has the perfect people skills to continue to gather new and exciting talent- women and men.  His company West Coast Arm Sports will flourish for a long time. Bottomline, Will is the man.

My desire and hope were to meet Jedd Johnson someday and when the location for this contest was announced I knew I had to attend. I have a fear of flying that is crazy but some people have that fear. Step one was to get on the plane and arrive and step two was could my lower back withstand Event 1 - DO Ironmind Axle. I had put in about 6 weeks of intense plank work, back prehab, massages and it paid off as my lower back made it thru the Axle pulling a stress free 352 LB. 4 attempts- 4 good lifts.

Event 2 - 2" x 5" Saxon Bar - I had never tried this size Saxon before. I was conservative not only because of 6 events but not knowing exactly how this bar was with heavier weight. I ended with an easy 220 LB. with much more in tank. Happy that lower back was feeling good. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 3 - 2.5" FBBC Crusher- I had only trained this event with my left hand as I wanted to rest my right hand for the subsequent events. However, the competition was awesome, so I had to rely on my right and ended with 176 LB. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 4 - Ironmind LBH- I had not trained vertical since Kong '20 so my goal was 200 LB and ended with a low stress 198 LB. 4 attempts - 4 good lifts.

Event 5 - Ironmind Silver Bullet - NOT EASY after 4 events but I was hopeful to hold the 3.5# (178#) and I did just that 3.26 Seconds. I purchased Jedd's Silver Bullet Program and it helped as I was training with 7.5 LB and CoC 3.5 (184#) 1 attempt - 1 good squeeze

Event 6- Canary Island Medley- This is what makes Grip Sport so freakin AWESOME! What a collection of items to lift and truly a disneyland feel for a gripster. My best moment of the entire 8 1/2-hour contest was a Dominating 32 KG (70 LB) Kettlebell Pronation Wrist Flip - which only one other person completed - Mike Gentile. It was nice to showcase that wrist talent and to have my wife tell me afterwards the audience positive reaction to it. 

At the awards ceremony, I spoke from my heart what I wished to share, and I will leave that forever with that group of incredible gripsters and supportive spectators. Grateful!

Finally, to meet the GOAT Jedd Johnson and to hang out, have dinner Friday night at Benihana and watch this man do what he can do on Saturday was EPIC! Jedd is not only fiercely talented, but he is a freakin grip SAVANT. I Thank You and big CONGRATS for flying the long distance and defending your championship belt. Jedd Johnson- the Gripsport GOAT!!!!!! To conclude this "Bucket List" of mine, I had dinner after the long but enjoyable contest with Jedd, John Machnik - who is the most underrated Gripster in the entire world- John finished overall 3rd Place and his wonderful wife. 

Congrats to all that put their skill on display and the spectators! What a collection of talent and more importantly classy individuals. Long live GRIPSPORT

Great write up.  Everyone has their own fears man, and you overcame it. That’s a win alone right there. 

yes Jedd is the GOAT, no doubt about it

• Like 5

I REALLY wanted to go to that comp.  Just couldn't get out there this time.  Looks like it was great!  Great write up, man.

• Like 3

Great write-up, Michael.  It was my pleasure to spend all the time together that we did over the weekend, while we rode in Ubers, ate meals, shared stories and cheered each other on.  Thank you very much, as well, for running the camera on my attempts as well.  I am glad we got to compete together before you decided to retire.  I feel you have plenty more in the tank, and could go on for many more years, but totally understand your decision.  You competed fiercely, went out on a high note, made some awesome memories that nobody can take away from you, and touched everyone with your words during the awards ceremony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Great write-up, Michael.  It was my pleasure to spend all the time together that we did over the weekend, while we rode in Ubers, ate meals, shared stories and cheered each other on.  Thank you very much, as well, for running the camera on my attempts as well.  I am glad we got to compete together before you decided to retire.  I feel you have plenty more in the tank, and could go on for many more years, but totally understand your decision.  You competed fiercely, went out on a high note, made some awesome memories that nobody can take away from you, and touched everyone with your words during the awards ceremony.

🐐Jedd, you are so welcome and the experience will forever be with me 🙏🦁🙏

• Like 5