Crushed to dust challenge

povmaciulis ARMLIFTING

Let's talk about CTD.

For those, who do not know, it is a challenge by Ironmind in which you have to complete 3 tasks: close a CoC 2 with CCS; lift 20 kg with hub and lift 90 kg with Rolling thunder.

In my opinion, the rolling thunder part is much harder than the other 2 (and hub the easiest) and it is the main li.iting factor if you can do CTD.

What are your opinions on CTD, do you think it is balanced; or rolling thunder part is much harder than the rest; or any other part is the hardest?

• Like 2

I think it's the general consensus that it is not a balanced certification. In fact, it is often referred to as the "Rolling Thunder Cert." 

In terms of difficulty, I think it goes gripper < hub < < RT.

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I think it's the general consensus that it is not a balanced certification. In fact, it is often referred to as the "Rolling Thunder Cert." 

In terms of difficulty, I think it goes gripper < hub < < RT.

Ahh I see i think hub is easier i lifted 20 kg hub less than half a year after hubbing for first time when i hubbed 11.8 kg. And I still cant close a 2 a year later even from deep set lol

Nice topic. I'm training for CTD myself and find the rolling thunder to be significantly more difficult than the other two. I can pull only around 154lbs on RT, while the 45lb pinch hub is somewhat easy with plenty of chalk. The COC 2 CCS was a slight challenge for me up until a couple months ago. Now I can almost CCS a 2.5. 

My personal goal is to certify in both hands at the same time. I think it would be wise to be able to lift several pounds more than the challenge requires so there's no doubt about passing the first time. So for RT I'll wait until I can comfortably do 210lbs in each hand before attempting the CTD cert.

Question for you guys: what is a reasonable time frame for moving up every 5-10lbs on the RT? I know there's a ton of factors and variables, but say best case scenario with the most efficient training. Also, exactly how do you train with it? Other than max attempts and 20 second holds with less weight, what other methods are people successfully using? Thx! 🙏🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, degradated said:

Nice topic. I'm training for CTD myself and find the rolling thunder to be significantly more difficult than the other two. I can pull only around 154lbs on RT, while the 45lb pinch hub is somewhat easy with plenty of chalk. The COC 2 CCS was a slight challenge for me up until a couple months ago. Now I can almost CCS a 2.5. 

My personal goal is to certify in both hands at the same time. I think it would be wise to be able to lift several pounds more than the challenge requires so there's no doubt about passing the first time. So for RT I'll wait until I can comfortably do 210lbs in each hand before attempting the CTD cert.

Question for you guys: what is a reasonable time frame for moving up every 5-10lbs on the RT? I know there's a ton of factors and variables, but say best case scenario with the most efficient training. Also, exactly how do you train with it? Other than max attempts and 20 second holds with less weight, what other methods are people successfully using? Thx! 🙏🏻

Do not lift until failure if u feel u may not do next rep, dont do it.

Also how you wrote these goals and achievemnts under ur  profile?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, povmaciulis ARMLIFTING said:

Click on your profile --> Account Settings --> Signature

• Like 1

1 hour ago, povmaciulis ARMLIFTING said:

Do not lift until failure if u feel u may not do next rep, dont do it.

Cool, thanks!

What @Jared P said to make a signature is correct... I'm using a strike through text generator and pasting into the signature field.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, degradated said:

I train crusher twice a week 1-3 rep range...  You are training purely for strength.

Rule of thumb is 7-10s seconds for holds... under 7 too heavy, over 10 too light....

It's hard to say, I'd really have to go check my notes. But I'm going to say every 3 months 10-15lbs my routine is pretty grip and wrist dominated, surely it would move faster if I focused just on rolling handle.... 

Now in that 3 month block I will surpass 10-15lbs, but varies a little week to week. After three months, I think it's safe to say I can lift 10-15lbs more on any given training session, barring injury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be a fan of IronMind rehashing CTD and offering a variety of further challenges that incorporate more of their grip/pinch/wrist products. For example:

Crushed to Dust 1 Bronze/Silver/Gold: CoC, Hub, Hammer (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

Crushed to Dust 2 Bronze/Silver/Gold: RT, Block, Stacker (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

Crushed to Dust 3 Bronze/Silver/Gold: LBH, TT, Wicked (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

God of Grip award: complete all gold levels above

It'd take a bit of research to get the weights scaled appropriately. But it would be fun trying climb the ranks. There would be something for everybody, even the elites, because of how diverse it is. And it'd be good for business!

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Gripperer said:

I would be a fan of IronMind rehashing CTD and offering a variety of further challenges that incorporate more of their grip/pinch/wrist products. For example:

Crushed to Dust 1 Bronze/Silver/Gold: CoC, Hub, Hammer (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

Crushed to Dust 2 Bronze/Silver/Gold: RT, Block, Stacker (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

Crushed to Dust 3 Bronze/Silver/Gold: LBH, TT, Wicked (three levels of difficulty from CoC #2 equivalent to #3 equivalent)

God of Grip award: complete all gold levels above

It'd take a bit of research to get the weights scaled appropriately. But it would be fun trying climb the ranks. There would be something for everybody, even the elites, because of how diverse it is. And it'd be good for business!

I like this idea eh, I’m pretty new to training grip strength but the current crush to dust feels very attainable 

• Like 1