Under the Spotlight -- Grip Profile -- DEVIN HOOVER

Vinnie

It is pretty close to April 1, and no one wants to be featured on the Fool's Day anyway, so here we go with the April profilee: Devin Hoover!  Devin is an intellectual and an athlete, and I've had the pleasure of working out with him once or twice.  Good man!  He's way too into bending, but anyone into bending is way too into bending lol.  That's just my bias talking.  And here is what Devin says about Devin:

1. What are your stats?

GripBoard name: @devinhoo, instagram @doctor.grip
    Height: 6’2”
    Weight: 195
    Dominant hand, and hand size: right handed, 8.25”
    Country/City: Philadelphia PA
    Relationship Status: Long term partner
    Children: none

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I started grip training in high school when I was rock climbing every once in a while with my friends. I didn’t do a lot of grip specific workouts other than climbing and pull ups. Climbing was my main focus from around 2014-2017, primarily indoor bouldering where I managed to climb two separate V9 routes. I really got into grip specific training in 2018 after meeting up with Clay Edgin over the summer before starting med school. That’s when I started buying grip tools and grippers, devoting workouts to grip training itself. I got into steel bending in 2020 during lockdown, and have been slowly getting back to where I was with grip since gyms reopened.

3. What are you most proud of accomplishing in grip already, and what is/are your grip goal/goals?

I very briefly held a silver bullet with a CoC4. Since I got really into bending I have only done a few dedicated gripper workouts, but I at some point I would really like to get back to some longer holds with a CoC3.5. I even have a Hulk Gripper rated 200 lbs as a stepping stone between the CoC3.5 and the CoC4 when I get back to that level.

In bending I think the most impressive bends I have done are unbraced 80d and 100d nails. It is always exciting to bend 3/8” steel, and I got really into who all had done longer bends unbraced. I started researching and keeping track of other people that had bent similar nails, which eventually blossomed into starting a website with more information about steel bending.

My long term grip goal is to lift the Thomas Inch Dumbbell. I was absolutely hooked the first time I encountered one, even though I could barely budge it. I’ve pretty consistently been able to lift ~64 kg bells over the years, but at best I’ve been able to get one end off of the ground for a full 78 kg bell. At some point when I have the funds I plan on buying an Inch Dumbbell of my own, but I’m not quite there yet. 

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

My work schedule is pretty erratic, so at this point I am aiming just to train grip on a regular basis. On days that I can make it to the gym I usually pick a grip single tool to work with for the day. I try warm up and then aim for a weight I’m pretty sure I can comfortably rep out, and then do a 5x5 with it, sometimes followed by drop sets at a lighter weight for more reps to tire myself out. On other days I use my downtime between my main lifts for the day to rate steel with my hand and thigh lift setup. I try to mix grip in when I can with things like warming up on deadlifts double overhand and avoiding straps when I can help it.

5. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Reading, when I can. I grew up reading a lot of my dad’s high fantasy books, and they’re some of my favorite ways to escape to world for a bit. Lately I have been listening to audiobooks, but it isn’t quite the same. Someday I would love to have a reading nook surrounded by books.

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Take care of your hands. There’s nothing worse than training hard and then having to stop suddenly because a callus tore off. Smooth down rough spots and moisturize your hands. Even tough leather has to be conditioned and looked after to stay strong.

7. Whose Grip profile would you like to see next?

London Schuirmann or Chaz Strange

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 8