Building the tendons for your goal lift through one lift a day?

Irish Grip

On 4/7/2024 at 2:19 PM, Irish Grip said:

Nice one. That weight would work. I will have a look now again and see. 

If you haven't bought anything yet...Fringe Sport just dropped .25lb fractional plate pairs (that look like throwing stars) for $12 shipped in the US.

image.thumb.png.84a5aad34bcc05080821c838ed0fa06f.png

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Irish Grip said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who came across the same info on the manual labour / grip training. You said up until recently? Did something happen?

10 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

I recently reached out to someone to help me with gripper programming, and it was suggested that I lower my grip training volume and frequency in favor of more recovery time. So I’ll be giving that a try for awhile and see if my overall strength improves or not

A lot of grippers train daily... David Horne, who's the King of grip, has compared training his hands to manual laborer... When they start out their hands are sore, but as time goes on the body adapts and you become more efficient at doing your job.. He's mentioned training grip everyday,  but not the same thing everyday... One day pinch, next day crush, ect ect.. As the hands recovery quick. If strength is the goal, you need to train hard. How hard are you training if you are curling something everyday... You should be a little sore after... Rest recover and push hard again x days later.

Masons or manual laborers don't program their work. Like Monday I'll lay 5 courses of 12" block, tomorrow I'll do 8 courses of 10", I'll stucco tomorrow for recovery.. They just work hard and happen to get stronger in the process, but ultimately wear their body out. 

I'd just hate to see someone get bad tendonitis by over doing it in the beginning, get discouraged and give up on this sport.  Because I got some very bad tendonitis myself by doing to much too soon.

I'm far from being  the strongest guy here or even work as hard as I used too. But I've done some pretty hard manual labor and I train hard. So yes the body adapts.. But I made mistakes early on, injured myself a few times. I have gotten some proper coaching and am able to do the two because I train properly.

I don't have those fraction plates @Douglas Carney listed.. But I highly recommend buying some.  

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

If you haven't bought anything yet...Fringe Sport just dropped .25lb fractional plate pairs (that look like throwing stars) for $12 shipped in the US.

image.thumb.png.84a5aad34bcc05080821c838ed0fa06f.png

I checked them out but they don't ship to Ireland. I had a good look around for fractional plates, they can get expensive for those little weights. And then the shipping on top. I just found a set today on amazon. So I will go with them. I'll let you know how they are.

• Like 1

IMO plate curls is something that takes alot of time to build. I’ve been doing them off and on for over 15 years and have just the past few years started to curl smaller 20kg plates. I’ve not yet plate crled a full sized 20 kg plate. Not while keeping a straight wrist at least. With a bent wrist sure, but never straight.

My personal experience is that if you do them to often you can easily strain your wrist, which will set you back. My advice would be to do them as a serious heavy lift once or twice a week. And make steady progress. Over time you’ll get stronger and stronger. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

A lot of grippers train daily... David Horne, who's the King of grip, has compared training his hands to manual laborer... When they start out their hands are sore, but as time goes on the body adapts and you become more efficient at doing your job.. He's mentioned training grip everyday,  but not the same thing everyday... One day pinch, next day crush, ect ect.. As the hands recovery quick. If strength is the goal, you need to train hard. How hard are you training if you are curling something everyday... You should be a little sore after... Rest recover and push hard again x days later.

Masons or manual laborers don't program their work. Like Monday I'll lay 5 courses of 12" block, tomorrow I'll do 8 courses of 10", I'll stucco tomorrow for recovery.. They just work hard and happen to get stronger in the process, but ultimately wear their body out. 

I'd just hate to see someone get bad tendonitis by over doing it in the beginning, get discouraged and give up on this sport.  Because I got some very bad tendonitis myself by doing to much too soon.

I'm far from being  the strongest guy here or even work as hard as I used too. But I've done some pretty hard manual labor and I train hard. So yes the body adapts.. But I made mistakes early on, injured myself a few times. I have gotten some proper coaching and am able to do the two because I train properly.

I don't have those fraction plates @Douglas Carney listed.. But I highly recommend buying some.  

Ahh yes David did compare it to manual labour alright. I will get the fractional plates. And try and train smart. Did your tendonitis go completely? If so how long did take. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish Grip said:

Ahh yes David did compare it to manual labour alright. I will get the fractional plates. And try and train smart. Did your tendonitis go completely? If so how long did take. 

Pretty sure I got my wrist developer in September 2021 and I know in December 2021 I still had it but went away soon after that. That’s how I got it from using that too much when I got it and bending way to many 60ds for a few days in a row.

yes it went away, and have had plenty of minor things since then. But nothing major.

We all get hurt, sometimes you gotta do it wrong until you do it right.  I really like the fractional plates. Sometimes that .25lbs is all the difference in the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Pretty sure I got my wrist developer in September 2021 and I know in December 2021 I still had it but went away soon after that. That’s how I got it from using that too much when I got it and bending way to many 60ds for a few days in a row.

yes it went away, and have had plenty of minor things since then. But nothing major.

We all get hurt, sometimes you gotta do it wrong until you do it right.  I really like the fractional plates. Sometimes that .25lbs is all the 

Yes when I first started I'm buying all the stuff, and they are being delivered and you can't help but train with the new grip tool a bit even though I might have trained the previous day. I have a bit of tennis elbow in my left arm for over 6 months now. Never had a problem with the elbow before. I did a lift on the inch dumbbell training handle that was still loaded from a previous work out, I was just walking past my gym room and said why not. I couldn't get it with regular grip so I did thumbless, and when I lifted it I felt a sting in my forearm and that was it, still doing rehabing for it 6 months later. It was a stupid mistake. But maybe it was a good lesson before something worse could happen. So I learned the hard way now. But really regret it. Hopefully it will fully go away soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Irish Grip said:

Yes when I first started I'm buying all the stuff, and they are being delivered and you can't help but train with the new grip tool a bit even though I might have trained the previous day. I have a bit of tennis elbow in my left arm for over 6 months now. Never had a problem with the elbow before. I did a lift on the inch dumbbell training handle that was still loaded from a previous work out, I was just walking past my gym room and said why not. I couldn't get it with regular grip so I did thumbless, and when I lifted it I felt a sting in my forearm and that was it, still doing rehabing for it 6 months later. It was a stupid mistake. But maybe it was a good lesson before something worse could happen. So I learned the hard way now. But really regret it. Hopefully it will fully go away soon.

That will do it, sometimes that's all it takes.. I forgot I did have a bad bending injury last year too, sounds similar to what you described...and haven't wanted to try bending again. But I will at some point. It's the crush part of the bend when i hurt it, even using my chest krusher to this day if I go to hard I can feel it. But thumbless bothered me for a while also.

Maybe its your bicep tendon, .. I have a sidewinder and perform lots of thumbless movements on it and that seemed to help, pronation and supination..  lots of massaging  And bicep curls, even with a band seemed to help also. 

6 months is a long time. Has it gotten better at all?

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That will do it, sometimes that's all it takes.. I forgot I did have a bad bending injury last year too, sounds similar to what you described...and haven't wanted to try bending again. But I will at some point. It's the crush part of the bend when i hurt it, even using my chest krusher to this day if I go to hard I can feel it. But thumbless bothered me for a while also.

Maybe its your bicep tendon, .. I have a sidewinder and perform lots of thumbless movements on it and that seemed to help, pronation and supination..  lots of massaging  And bicep curls, even with a band seemed to help also. 

6 months is a long time. Has it gotten better at all?

Man that's sucks, so for the first 4 months I could feel a type of hot stinging in the outside elbow joint while doing anything, even just sitting. For the first 2 months I just thought it will go away on it's own and I didn't train it. Then I went to  physio and after 2 months of physio rehab exercises. It's only in the last month that it's gotten a good bit better. But I haven't trained grip with it, only the exercises I was given. I don't feel it now doing my daily stuff anymore. It will need more rehab. Heat helps a lot for circulation. But just moving things around my gym with bother hands I can feel it's not ready to go back and train fully. I will just crumple sheets of newspaper with it and maybe and extension band for now. Maybe very light gripper. So you will be a months off bending since last year? Did you seek help with it? Elbow area too?

5 minutes ago, Irish Grip said:

Man that's sucks, so for the first 4 months I could feel a type of hot stinging in the outside elbow joint while doing anything, even just sitting. For the first 2 months I just thought it will go away on it's own and I didn't train it. Then I went to  physio and after 2 months of physio rehab exercises. It's only in the last month that it's gotten a good bit better. But I haven't trained grip with it, only the exercises I was given. I don't feel it now doing my daily stuff anymore. It will need more rehab. Heat helps a lot for circulation. But just moving things around my gym with bother hands I can feel it's not ready to go back and train fully. I will just crumple sheets of newspaper with it and maybe and extension band for now. Maybe very light gripper. So you will be a months off bending since last year? Did you seek help with it? Elbow area too?

That’s exactly what I felt a hot stinging sensation. Not even pain, two points, forearm and bicep.  But my elbow was fine.

i continued training and luckily not much of anything bothered it. Just when my arm was bent less than 90 degrees. No treatment from professionals.  

I will bend again but not until I left the inch bell. 

So no pain. That's good.  What are you using to train for the inch. I am also training for it. I have a handle from Nathan Holle. The offset one. Arm assassin has their own version of it. It is challenging. 

11 minutes ago, Irish Grip said:

So no pain. That's good.  What are you using to train for the inch. I am also training for it. I have a handle from Nathan Holle. The offset one. Arm assassin has their own version of it. It is challenging. 

An actual inch, baby inch, 2.5” crusher handle, FBBC pro dumbbell and arm assassins Olympic plate Loadable inch handle.. but most importantly an awesome grip coach. 

don’t know much about Hollles handle but I’m sure it’s good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 7:25 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Good luck!  Hope it works out ok.

These should do the job!

On 4/11/2024 at 6:51 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

20240422_190950.thumb.jpg.22467cf6d17e328500ca53ccf3ac57a0.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Irish Grip said:

These should do the job!

20240422_190950.thumb.jpg.22467cf6d17e328500ca53ccf3ac57a0.jpg

Nice man. Not a session goes by I don’t use them. 

• Like 1