First time closing a IM 3.5 from a CCS

Hannes

Finally decided to try training CCS full force since I certed on the #3. Now it's just hoping I can get the #3.5 cert before the psoriatic arthritis claims my hands 🤞

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

Finally decided to try training CCS full force since I certed on the #3. Now it's just hoping I can get the #3.5 cert before the psoriatic arthritis claims my hands 🤞

Awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn that is impressive and no easy feat, well done.

• Like 2

Hell yeah man!!! Congrats! A huge step closer to the 3.5 cert.

• Like 3

Congrats on the new pr.  Way to go after your goal :mosher

• Like 2

Good stuff, great strength to hold it shut like that, however just be careful with the credit card, that would likely be declined for " insufficient evidence of starting width" in ironmind lingo. They want it inserted like a spark plug, I had certs and qualifying attempts declined a few times for similar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Good stuff, great strength to hold it shut like that, however just be careful with the credit card, that would likely be declined for " insufficient evidence of starting width" in ironmind lingo. They want it inserted like a spark plug, I had certs and qualifying attempts declined a few times for similar.

Thanks for the tip, Carl. I have been training the plug instead of the swipe, but it's a habit that is hard to break.

Here is a gif of a second attempt where I did more of a insert, but it looked like one of the corners got caught on the handle.

20240312_220130_1.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Carl do you mean insert it from the bottom, and not swipe from side to side?

The most important thing they look for as stated in their rules is a pause. Once inserted, stop moving and wait for at least a second or so, if not they will flag you for lacking a legal start position

In my #3 cert I just dangled the card between the handles as it didn't even touch the handles. But will be making sure I hold it there for a bit from now on.

8 hours ago, martincerven said:

Carl do you mean insert it from the bottom, and not swipe from side to side?

Yes. Swiping through the card can sit partly on top of a handle and they will decline it. Unless it's obviously much more open than the required width, but that's unrealistic once we're talking about the 3.5 or 4

Edited by Carl Myerscough
  • Like 2

You don't need to pause per say. The rules recommend not to rush, to clearly demonstrate, but an actual pause is not required although will likely happen anyway in trying. The language about inserting like a spark plug comes from direct messages with Randall after my failures. The hard part as I've mentioned before is once you need to show the card will fit between the handles by inserting that starting width rapidly becomes a few millimeters more.

• Like 2

The second video is much better but I would guess still 50/50 if they would accept, particularly at full speed. Your closing technique looks great by the way, setting it down slightly deeper and then controlling the open for the swipe/insert. Just how I recommend.

It's so much easier with the 3 to do a clear starting width, once your trying the 3.5 or 4 too much faffin about and the power just drains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Carl Myerscough said:

You don't need to pause per say. The rules recommend not to rush, to clearly demonstrate, but an actual pause is not required although will likely happen anyway in trying. The language about inserting like a spark plug comes from direct messages with Randall after my failures. The hard part as I've mentioned before is once you need to show the card will fit between the handles by inserting that starting width rapidly becomes a few millimeters more.

Rule 4 mentions pausing in it twice:

"4. The free hand may be used to position the gripper in the gripping hand, and the starting position can be no narrower than the width of a Captains of Crush card: the gripster must show the official that he has an acceptable starting position by using his non-gripping hand to demonstrate that the end of a Captains of Crush card fits between the ends of the handles, pausing in this position to prove the starting position is legal. Once this is done, the official will give the signal to remove the card and begin the attempt.

On video-based official attempts, the gripster must still demonstrate a legal starting position by clearly showing the card fits between the end of the handles and pausing—before removing the card and continuing with the attempt. Do not rush this demonstration and do not slide the card on top of the handles as this would be an automatic No lift."

https://ironmind.com/certification/captains-of-crush/rules-for-closing-certification/#rules

• Like 1

Yes, sorry you are right, those are the rules and then there are guidelines on the site where it's not mentioned. Either way, there's no rushing through it anymore, in order to show what they require there's a pause intentional or not.

Edited by Carl Myerscough
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Sorry this is incorrect, a pause is required.

• Like 3

Given some recent certs, seems like the pause is more important than absolute certainty that the handles touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2