Mash Monster progress update

Cannon

This is super exciting, Im really looking forward to this!

• Like 2

Will a GHP 7 still be considered a COC#3 equivalent, for the door-opener purpose?

38 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Will a GHP 7 still be considered a COC#3 equivalent, for the door-opener purpose?

Yes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One update is that I'm considering introducing the levels as I can. Just to get things going. It is proving to be a unique challenge to have reliable access to springs. 

Right now I have all 4 women's levels sourced. 110-120-130-140. 

For men's levels I have 160 and 200 sourced. But I believe I can also make some or all of 180, 190, 210 and 220 as soon as we have capacity to make handles at the shop. I got my order of Chromium springs and they were mostly wrong, which is indicative of some of the challenges getting springs. So I am not sure what I will actually be able to get out of those. (Don't worry, we have about four different spring troubleshooting irons in the fire.) I for sure need to order a small run of unique springs for 170. (Which I should say I did have on order, but probably need to find another source at this point).

This is a priority! And I want to get it as right as possible so it can continue for years to come. :)  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

It would probably be easier and less hassle to start letting people cert on what is ready, than do a grand opening where every single level will be mailed out at once. I'm not opposed to it at all, it will be cool to see other people cert while waiting for the levels I want

• Like 2

150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 210, 220.

Makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

Level #1 will be comparabe to old #1. Lever #2 will be comparable to old #2. 170 will make more sense as a #3 (old ladder had too big of a jump). 180 will be comparable to old #4. 190 to old #5 and the rest makes sense aswell if you look at the progression, new ladder will still be harder than previuous #8 but I think that's more OK since it will be much less people reaching that level anyways.

Also females could use the #1 as their "level #5". Otherwise they would have to jump 20 lbs, which I don't really see happening.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I understand MM was created to give Captains of Crush something else to do beyond the 3 cert. I think 150 is too low for level 1 but is a good area for the MM0 audition, which it already is. Just like the old MM1 there could be a lot of redundant certing and shipping because your MM0 cert gripper could have been heavier than the MM1 gripper. A 150 MMS isn't really elite. 150 is about an average 3. It makes sense that the actual levels start with just about the hardest 3 you could find (160), to indicate that you are well past the closing an average 3 point, and can close the hardest of 3's. By making it harder to reach entry level the certs will be more meaningful. You can claim your MM0 entry level or equivalent if you want to cert on something around 150. Otherwise if there was a 150 level 1, you'd pretty much be closing the same level for both MM0 and level 1. Also I believe the levels are called MM160 etc now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 210, 220.

Makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

Level #1 will be comparabe to old #1. Lever #2 will be comparable to old #2. 170 will make more sense as a #3 (old ladder had too big of a jump).

I appreciate the feedback, however I'm not going for that kind of comparison. The new levels based on ratings will have no intended comparisons to the old levels. There will not be a level 150 :) 

Largely for the reasons that @C8Myotome mentioned, he nailed it. I am meaning for it to stay as an elite feat and a #3 (average 150) is the door opener. Also, the original Mash Monsters were far less of a smooth gradient than people think. There were essentially 5 very "same" grippers in a row including two spots where the difficulty was clearly out of order. So I'm not trying to compare to that progression in any way. It was a great model that served us well. But I'm making something slightly different. 

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Also females could use the #1 as their "level #5". Otherwise they would have to jump 20 lbs, which I don't really see happening.

It took me a while to see what you meant here, but I get it now. What is the record gripper close for any woman ever? If I had to make a 150 to bridge women to the 160 then maybe that will be necessary. But it won't be an eligible cert for guys given that it's their door opener.  

More updates to come! 

• Like 5

Anything under 200 RGC is not elite for MMS close, so that's a really weak argument from your side guys. It makes no sense at all to not have 150 RGC in there if you have jumps from 110 to 220.

• Confused 5

57 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It took me a while to see what you meant here, but I get it now. What is the record gripper close for any woman ever? If I had to make a 150 to bridge women to the 160 then maybe that will be necessary. But it won't be an eligible cert for guys given that it's their door opener.  

More updates to come! 

Fair enough!

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Anything under 200 RGC is not elite for MMS close, so that's a really weak argument from your side guys. It makes no sense at all to not have 150 RGC in there if you have jumps from 110 to 220.

For men there is no 110..I think that was brought up once and it was decided it would water down the value of the list, so for men is starts at 160...there's no 120, 130, 140, so it doesn't really matter that there's not 150.

As for what is considered elite, elite grip society ig page posted a question the other day asking what closes are considered elite, Ivan Cuk responded saying he considers a 190 MMS elite (and 175 CCS). I think someone actually closing 200+ like Ivan would have a good idea of what is considered a black and white yes or no elite. 160 170 and 180 are strong too, but if MM went any less than 160 it would make it a little bit too easy. There a ton of people that can manage to mms a 3, but a lot less closing cobalts.

• Like 3

For the above logic lets just find a gripper that only 1% can close and start at that point. If the monster mash is in part aimed towards the grip board why not start at 150. Yes I did read that it might have its own website but the question of elite might be looked at differently by everyone plus with starting at different levels not having to run a ladder you can claim you are good at whatever level you can close. In the end the only person you are in competition with is yourself.

I like the idea of starting at 160.  The #3 motivates plenty of people already.  Many people stop when they realize how difficult the #3.5 is going to be, once they close the #3.  The Mash Monster Ladder gives people a place to go after the #3 or if they struggle with the credit card set due to anatomy.

This is another way it will set itself apart from other certifications, and I think in time it could end up being the most popular.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

160 avoids the overlap of audition grippers and first level and makes clear distinction between who closes light or average MM0 3's and who is closing 160, which brings more respect to the entry level, showing you can handle any coc 3.

For a list where people are going to be closing 200+ I would rather keep the whole thing elite and have less people on it overall, meaning you have to work to get there. With 150 you'd have hundreds and hundreds of people doing it and then quitting because 160 is too hard, really watering down the list with the amount of people that can already do that or will stop at that level anyways.

Instead of complaining you could just get 10 rgc stronger and claim a 160.

This is already so much better than the old model, I don't see how there is anything to complain about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:30 AM, Cannon said:

Chromium springs are being run! This is one of the major things that needed to happen. We went through a few samples runs to get these right. 

The actual Chromium gripper will run somewhere above 220 and up to 245 so that it doesn't overlap with the #4. But then I needed some with slightly different specs or it was going to be impossible to cover 210 and 220 for the Mash Monster grippers. I hope it works out. :online

Sounds perfect for chest crushing too! What a cool line up.

• Like 1