Measuring Finished Bends Debate

acromegaman

Screenshot_20240219_065826_Gallery.thumb.jpg.247ef98775967789cb68995ef94de83c.jpgScreenshot_20240219_065724_Gallery.thumb.jpg.32949cac799d10b8db8a1920ee4088c4.jpgHi everyone! After coming off a big layoff from bending, I noticed that a lot has changed. I may be the only one thinking this because I have had brainfarts before, but is there a consistent accepted method to inspecting an off center bend? In the past, the bend was positioned with a perpendicular 

• Like 3

Just to be clear, I have my preference but either way it is up to the cert list overseer. I will respect their wishes 😊

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

After coming off a big layoff from bending, I noticed that a lot has changed. I may be the only one thinking this because I have had brainfarts before, but is there a consistent accepted method to inspecting an off center bend? In the past, the bend was positioned with a perpendicular 

Most cert rules read something like "legs are not more than 2" apart", and based on this, it needs to be measured at the ends. So the second picture is closer to the "correct" way (at least nowadays), but actually most leaderboards would still not accept it because both ends should touch the ruler. 

• Like 1

I’m coming back from a long layoff as well. I seem to remember off-center ends being measured like your first pic. Of course, I respect any current honored rules. 

• Like 1

Horrido certs are done by measuring from the base of the head of the bolt to the other end. So the second picture would be the correct way to measure. 

image.thumb.png.7c617cfc678f0d25aee6b02b237dbd14.png

I’m from the time when it was standard to measure off center bends as if it had been bent on center. Which in that case the first pic on top is the way I’d do it. But if the rules state you have to measure it in a certain way, then that’s obviously the way you have to do it. But with that said, I personally prefer the first method.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2024 at 7:13 AM, David_wigren said:

I’m from the time when it was standard to measure off center bends as if it had been bent on center. Which in that case the first pic on top is the way I’d do it. But if the rules state you have to measure it in a certain way, then that’s obviously the way you have to do it. But with that said, I personally prefer the first method.

I prefer the same technique David. I think the other method it is a way to cut out the subjectivity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 7:59 AM, acromegaman said:

Screenshot_20240219_065826_Gallery.thumb.jpg.247ef98775967789cb68995ef94de83c.jpgScreenshot_20240219_065724_Gallery.thumb.jpg.32949cac799d10b8db8a1920ee4088c4.jpgHi everyone! After coming off a big layoff from bending, I noticed that a lot has changed. I may be the only one thinking this because I have had brainfarts before, but is there a consistent accepted method to inspecting an off center bend? In the past, the bend was positioned with a perpendicular 

That bolt looks familiar 🤣!!! I’m too new for having much familiarity with the top way - Horrido rules and thus mine are the bottom way but with both ends touching the ruler as well. 

Separately from rules, I think I prefer the bottom way anyways as it serves to punish off center bends as they deserve to be punished 😂

• Like 2

Yeah, either way I'm good. I think I just needed to vent after missing this bolt 🤣 I'm obviously a fan of the first method. It's more of what I've become accustomed to. 

I always measured my off-center bends from the shortest leg and directly across - so pic 1 for me.

The logic I used was that the shorter leg was harder to get into it's position and therefore it made sense to measure the bend from there.

It kept my conscience keen and allowed me to sleep at night!

• Like 1