Grippers created equal??

cmmoore628

I’m working to climb the COC gripper ladder in hopes of certifying the #3.  I have a growing number of grippers to fill any gaps in my training. I recently learned of GD Iron Grip adjustable grippers. It’s a different style gripper compared to the coiled spring style of traditional grippers.
Do you think adjustable grippers or the like create bad habits?  Should I stick with the traditional gripper for my training?  Thanks

If the goal is to certify on the #3, then I would stick to torsion spring grippers, especially wide grippers like CoC, GHP & Standard.

• Like 7

I've never used a gd iron before, I am certified on the #3 and I would say you only really need coc trainer, 1, 2, 2.5, and at least 1 3...having a few different pre-rated options is useful to get yourself comfortable with light, average and heavy ones, what a really wide heavy one feels like, what a narrower but really high mounted stiff one feels like. If you really want to fill any other gaps past that get a standard cobalt and a standard iron. I don't think you need a gd iron for anything, and because it's not torsion, the entire sweep would probably feel much different

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the goal is to close torsion spring grippers like the CoC, stick with using those style of grippers. Adjustable grippers have some carryover but not enough to be worth spending extra money when you are better off working on your set and crush with a normal torsion spring gripper like a Standard or CoC. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cmmoore628 said:

Do you think adjustable grippers or the like create bad habits?  

It depends. There is no doubt you can get some kind of valuable workout. But the gripper only closes to about parallel so carryover to TSGs specifically might be low because it wouldn’t really train that tighter crushing strength. It’s going to end up being more like support strength, which honestly might have more real world application than crushing strength. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It depends. There is no doubt you can get some kind of valuable workout. But the gripper only closes to about parallel so carryover to TSGs specifically might be low because it wouldn’t really train that tighter crushing strength. It’s going to end up being more like support strength, which honestly might have more real world application than crushing strength. 

I've heard of people filing off the part that blocks the ROM so the handles can touch on them. But it is still not torsion 

43 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I've heard of people filing off the part that blocks the ROM so the handles can touch on them. But it is still not torsion 

Yeah, agree. And as a compression spring, I believe this actually wouldn't even feel similar to other expansion spring adjustable grippers like the Vulcan, ISG or RB models. Between compression and not closing all the way, it's an odd duck. But all accounts seem to report it as very well made and easy to use. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. I’ll stick with torsion spring grippers. 

• Like 1

Good call

• Like 2

I agree with the others; if the goal is the CoC cert, stick with torsion spring grippers, preferably from IM, Standard, and GHP.

That being said, I used my GD IG90 a lot, and I really like it.

Pros:

- The six levels and three spread settings give you a lot of options. And if you attach the handle extension, you have even more options. I think any adult male could close Level 1, and Level 6 is honestly hard. 
- Changing the levels and the spread is super simple and fast. 
- I have the 2022 model and the knurling is acceptable (but I've heard that some earlier models have smoother knurling)
- Great production quality overall

Cons:

- Yes, the handles do not close fully. This would be a huge disadvantage, but filing the stoppers takes just a couple of minutes. After filing the stoppers, the handles of my 2022 model touch on all levels. I don't know how this affects the longevity, but so far, no problems (and I put quite a few reps in it). So honestly, this is not a big deal.
- How a compression spring behaves compared to a torsion spring is very different (for example, very easy to set it). Btw same with an extension spring gripper (like the ISG or the Vulcan). It's not like one is superior to the other, they're just different. And this is the reason why I don't recommend using it as a bridge gripper training for the CoC cert. 

I still use it as an initial warmup tool, and in my opinion, it's just perfect for that. I do Level 1-4 both hands before any grip-related workout. Also, my weakest torsion spring gripper is RGC 115, so if sometimes I want to do super high reps (increasing blood flow, etc.) I use the GD IG90. 
Oh and it's a great travel gripper!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, matek said:

I still use it as an initial warmup tool, and in my opinion, it's just perfect for that. I do Level 1-4 both hands before any grip-related workout. Also, my weakest torsion spring gripper is RGC 115, so if sometimes I want to do super high reps (increasing blood flow, etc.) I use the GD IG90. 
Oh and it's a great travel gripper!

Thanks @matek . I’ve wondered about these things. Using it as a warm-up, gap filler, or just a beater gripper to leave in my truck.  But I believe in training specificity and was concerned about creating bad habits using a different gripper type. 

This has all been great info. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmmoore628 said:

Thanks @matek . I’ve wondered about these things. Using it as a warm-up, gap filler, or just a beater gripper to leave in my truck.  But I believe in training specificity and was concerned about creating bad habits using a different gripper type. 

This has all been great info. Thanks again. 

I agree about the specifity, a CoC trainer, 1 and 2 covers all that rgc territory and with them cheaper being bought in multiples of 3, those are probably not much more expensive than 1 adjustable gd gripper

Edit: The GD is $75, 3 of any CoC from CPW is $65, so going with that option is actually better and cheaper

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I agree about the specifity, a CoC trainer, 1 and 2 covers all that rgc territory and with them cheaper being bought in multiples of 3, those are probably not much more expensive than 1 adjustable gd gripper

Edit: The GD is $75, 3 of any CoC from CPW is $65, so going with that option is actually better and cheaper

That’s a really good point. I forgot about that sale. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, matek said:

How a compression spring behaves compared to a torsion spring is very different (for example, very easy to set it). Btw same with an extension spring gripper (like the ISG or the Vulcan).

I would say this is one of the differences actually. Expansion springs are notoriously difficult to set and then kind of surrender at the close. Some people get a Vulcan or RB for the specific reason to train their set. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I would say this is one of the differences actually. Expansion springs are notoriously difficult to set and then kind of surrender at the close. Some people get a Vulcan or RB for the specific reason to train their set. 

Sorry, my English wasn't clear. I was referring to the fact that they are also very different, not to the setting difficulty. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2024/2/20 at AM12点53分, Cannon said:

我想说这实际上是差异之一。众所周知,膨胀弹簧很难设置,并且在关闭时会屈服。有些人出于特定原因购买 Vulcan 或 RB 来训练他们的装备。 

For what specific reason?

12 hours ago, ming said:

For what specific reason?

Sorry, it should have said for THAT specific reason. That expansion springs are especially hard to set.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

抱歉,它应该说的是具体原因。膨胀弹簧特别难以设置。  

Oh, I see. It's nice to learn so much about grip strength here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure that adjustable grippers arent at least somewhat worthwhile. I bought the Vatiz adjustable with expansion springs and I have started making progress towards the 3 again, felt like I was stuck at the same strength for a long while.

Saying that, I did also purchase a couple of the adjustable choked grippers, as one will train sweep strength and the other closing strength. Not necessarily worth it unless you are plateauing though

• Like 1

The Vulcan is a great tool. The RB feels weird to me…like the close isn’t as V shaped, almost parallel.

they do help with torsion gripper goals; just remember…if you’re trying to close a no.3, a chrome spring on notch 4, 4.5 will work nicely- but you’ll be working with a 3.5 or even a little more type of set. But, no mistake it’s the close strength you need.

• Like 2