From The Vault | Gazza 4" Fantastic Shiny

tkovach724

It’s too bad I can’t believe anything I see from Gary. He sure makes it look real but some of his feats were so beyond human ability and everyone else that it’s kind of obvious he cheated, not to mention the not bending the hard stuff in person part. Even if some of the feats were real I can’t separate the real from the cheating.

I believe Gazza was a really strong bender. Probably one of the strongest during 2007-2009. He did in fact do a few bends in front of another Gripboard member at the time, Maxwell (not sure what his Gripboard name was). I’m pretty sure Gazza bent 7” shiny’s (maybe also shinys cut shorter) together with Maxwell. And the FBBC shinys from back then was alot harder than most batches of today. They would average around 540 lbs at 7” on the Krahling/Milfeld scale. Which is not so far from an Edgin in strength. I myself bent my first shiny and Edgin at roughly the same time. So Gazza was strong for sure. 

However, at some point I think he started cheating his bends. At this point I think he no longer trained with Maxwell. That’s when the claims started to get insane. It was to the point of ridiculousness. I mean, the 4” shiny was nothing compared to what he eventually started bending. He got down to a 3”x5/16 shiny in small wraps. I mean, that’s just insane to imagine. I remember him doing a medley going from 7” x 3/8” all the way down to a 5” x 3/8” shiny in losely wrapped ironmind pads, one after the other. I mean, who today is even close to that? I mean, maybe Derek or Klimovich can bend a 7” x 3/8” shiny using thick and optimized leather wraps. In imps they would have absolutely no chance, unless maybe it was very weak stainless. And Gazza did a 5” one, of hard stainless, after a long medley.

The fact is, if Gazza was legit. And you take some of the best steel benders of today and have them do an allround unbraced competition using multiple styles against Gazza. Where they get to use ironmind pads and Gazza has to go pure barehand, with his hand sprayed with WD40. Gazza would win. And that’s just simply to far fetched IMO.

And that’s not even mentioning the 6” x 5/8 rail road spike he claimed to have partially bent with a tissue rag. There was never any video of that claim. But he did post pictures of it. And it’s even crazier than any of the other claims.

What eventually sealed it for me was in 2010 when Ironmind put out the gold nail. At the time Gazza was talking BIG and challenging Pat Povilaitis to a bend off in person where they would bend each others steel and see who finishes on top. Since Pat’s from America and Gazza’s from the UK. That was likely never going to happen. But then suddenly Ironmind puts out the gold nail. A bunch of us from the old Steel benders Battlefield forum suggested Gazza would be the first to cert the gold nail. And the offer was for Gazza to bend the gold in front of an impartial witness. Gazza refused. To be fair, Gazza had a grudge against Ironmind so that could be a large part of why he didn’t want to do it. But given how vocal he had been against Pat. It was the perfect opportunity for him and Pat to both attempt the gold nail and for Gazza to truly beat Pat once and for all. But instead Gazza backed off completely and went silent. After some time, in the spring of 2011, Gazza posted a video saying he was forever out of the steel bending scene. Asking never to be mentioned again. 

Back then I considered Gazza as a friend. And I still do. So I respected his wish for many years. But the truth is that I consider him to be a fraud. And I don’t believe any of his most advanced claims. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

What eventually sealed it for me was in 2010 when Ironmind put out the gold nail. At the time Gazza was talking BIG and challenging Pat Povilaitis to a bend off in person where they would bend each others steel and see who finishes on top. Since Pat’s from America and Gazza’s from the UK. That was likely never going to happen. But then suddenly Ironmind puts out the gold nail. A bunch of us from the old Steel benders Battlefield forum suggested Gazza would be the first to cert the gold nail. And the offer was for Gazza to bend the gold in front of an impartial witness. Gazza refused. To be fair, Gazza had a grudge against Ironmind so that could be a large part of why he didn’t want to do it. But given how vocal he had been against Pat. It was the perfect opportunity for him and Pat to both attempt the gold nail and for Gazza to truly beat Pat once and for all. But instead Gazza backed off completely and went silent. After some time, in the spring of 2011, Gazza posted a video saying he was forever out of the steel bending scene. Asking never to be mentioned again. 

Seems like theres a formula for cheaters.

1. No credible witnesses

2. Insane claims that border on impossible

3. When pressed and challenged they back off with some excuse

4. Quit

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Seems like theres a formula for cheaters.

1. No credible witnesses

2. Insane claims that border on impossible

3. When pressed and challenged they back off with some excuse

4. Quit

5. Ask everyone to never talk about them again

• Like 6

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

I believe Gazza was a really strong bender. Probably one of the strongest during 2007-2009. He did in fact do a few bends in front of another Gripboard member at the time, Maxwell (not sure what his Gripboard name was). I’m pretty sure Gazza bent 7” shiny’s (maybe also shinys cut shorter) together with Maxwell. And the FBBC shinys from back then was alot harder than most batches of today. They would average around 540 lbs at 7” on the Krahling/Milfeld scale. Which is not so far from an Edgin in strength. I myself bent my first shiny and Edgin at roughly the same time. So Gazza was strong for sure. 

However, at some point I think he started cheating his bends. At this point I think he no longer trained with Maxwell. That’s when the claims started to get insane. It was to the point of ridiculousness. I mean, the 4” shiny was nothing compared to what he eventually started bending. He got down to a 3”x5/16 shiny in small wraps. I mean, that’s just insane to imagine. I remember him doing a medley going from 7” x 3/8” all the way down to a 5” x 3/8” shiny in losely wrapped ironmind pads, one after the other. I mean, who today is even close to that? I mean, maybe Derek or Klimovich can bend a 7” x 3/8” shiny using thick and optimized leather wraps. In imps they would have absolutely no chance, unless maybe it was very weak stainless. And Gazza did a 5” one, of hard stainless, after a long medley.

The fact is, if Gazza was legit. And you take some of the best steel benders of today and have them do an allround unbraced competition using multiple styles against Gazza. Where they get to use ironmind pads and Gazza has to go pure barehand, with his hand sprayed with WD40. Gazza would win. And that’s just simply to far fetched IMO.

And that’s not even mentioning the 6” x 5/8 rail road spike he claimed to have partially bent with a tissue rag. There was never any video of that claim. But he did post pictures of it. And it’s even crazier than any of the other claims.

Back then I considered Gazza as a friend. And I still do. So I respected his wish for many years. But the truth is that I consider him to be a fraud. And I don’t believe any of his most advanced claims. 

So true. Gazza's best witnessed bend was a 6.5 shiny (old FBBC stock 5/16 inch grade 303 round stainless steel thickness into 6.5") in front of a credible witness. His friend was Maxwell Thompson (account was/is @maximus1 ). Just like Joe Kinney best gripper close in front of a credible witness (Heath Sexton) was a IM CoC #2 close. Gazza (Gary Hunt) was bending crazy steel on video with no witnesses. He once warmed up on a old FBBC 5"X 3/8 shiny (those stocks were very hard) behind his back in IM pads. He also bent a 7" (or was it 6.5"?) FBBC shiny with a broken hand in a cast...He also claimed a 1/2"6" SS grade 303 bend. He claimed a lot of BS...

Me too I considered him a friend. Oh well, we know he faked it all for some online list... (at least he bent a 6.5 shiny with a credible witness and that was a strong bend which he struggled).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

5. Ask everyone to never talk about them again

6. Double-down on the elaborate hoax by getting a permanent tattoo on your arm

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just can't comprehend what people have to gain lying to more or less bunch of strangers on the internet. Like you only get one name, why do you want to ruin it? Even in real life I don't get it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jared P said:

6. Double-down on the elaborate hoax by getting a permanent tattoo on your arm

7. Make a new hoax on if it was a kid sticker tattoo from a gumball machine or not

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I look at his videos like WWE videos. 

I believe the term they use is "performance art"