How Hard

climber511

For Bender, Shrug, or anyone else

I just picked up some 5/16" x 6" carriage bolts and some 1/4" square CRS (I figure on trying 7"+ pieces first). How will these compare to IM nails, bolts, or Davids Challenge bars? I'll check them for strength as soon as I get some free time but thought I'd get your opinions also. I figure they both will be harder than anything I have done so far. Thanks

If the blue is 260 and 60D's are 240-310, a 6" piece of 1/4" square is around the 290-300+ mark.

The 5/16" bolt is "way up there", and the one I tested was harder than the RED. A better bender would have to answer that one.

Eric , Thanks for the quick response. Looks like maybe I got ahead of myself a little bit - or a lot. I'll try cutting the 1/4" sq to 7.5" and see what happens. The 5/16" x 6" is a carriage bolt with full threads, I figured it to be doable but real hard for me - sounds like I'm half right - real hard but not so doable. Oh well, they'll look nice hanging up with my Reds and 200K challenge bars in the "someday" case. I'll give them a go and let you know if I can even kink either of them. I'll still weigh them and let you know that also.

Thanks again.

The 5/16" x 6" is a carriage bolt with full threads

Full treads make it VERY easy. I'd say about a 230-250. Simple. I thought you were refering to a solid bolt with only the end threaded.

Eric

I just weighed the 5/16" x 6" carriage bolt - 265# to bend it about 1/2". Nice call - they now come out of my "someday" case and into the "next time" box.

David Horne tested 1/4" square CRS at various lengths and published the results in Iron Grip. Actually it is 6mm square, which is just a hair less than 1/4".

His findings (I hope he doesn't mind)

7" 170k

6 3/4" 180k

6 1/4" 200k

6" 210k

Mike M.

It looks like I might actually be able to use both of the items I bought. The carriage bolts should be hard but doable for me and the 1/4" Sq. CRS should be OK to start at about 7.5" and start shaving down gradually. Cold roll always gives me more trouble than Hot roll of equal strength - it just seems so much harder to get started but not much different after that. No "spring" or give to it like the Hot roll. Supersqueese - did David's article show strengths for 1/4" Sq. Hot Roll - Curious about the difference? Thanks

Edited by climber511

No it did not give any data for square HRS. I only have HRS and have not been able to find square CRS so I have been curious about the difference as well.

Mike M.

OK Curiousity got the best of me - I wasn' supposed to bend today but just had to know. The 5/16" x 6" carriage bolt was hard - started OK then got really tough in the middle and crushed OK.

I cut a piece of my 1/4" sq CRS 7" long and grabbed a hold - nothing - gave it another shot - twice as much nothing. Stepped back and physced up - still nothing. I got out my loading pin carabiner, etc and started piling on the weights - it finally bent about 1/4" with 340#. Whoa - tough stuff!! and way out of my league.