Training the half penny tips required

Brigsy

Hi all, 

I’m a bit lost when it comes to how to train the half penny. Normal weight lifting I have a concept of training frequency and progressions/percentages etc but on this no idea. 

Should one try lifting most days? Twice a week?

what sort of rep range and how close to max etc 

maybe it’s different for everyone, but I can’t find a good method floundering around on my own. 

Any  tips welcomed. Ta.

• Like 1

I always felt like actually training these key pinch lifts was more about dialing in form, toughening up the skin, and building pain tolerance. In that respect I did them as often as possible leading up to a contest, stopping just short of fatigue that would allow a slip and rip.

Maybe others feel different, but I always thought strength increases came from other thumb exercises. I would train Flask, block weights and pony pinch to bring up thumb strength. 

• Like 2

Interesting. I don’t find I get sore fingers from training it. Once it gets beyond me the lift either doesn’t move or it slips out at some point. No torn skin…….yet 

Probably not heavy enough 

Edited by Brigsy

This tip that Adam Glass gave me has helped me on all key pinch lifts. There is a photo of what I mean a couple posts after. 

• Like 1

Brigsy, Cool that you have interest in Half Penny. 

I have been training on Half Penny and here is my routine. 2 x Weekly ( 1st day 5,4,3,2,1 all Singles -various weight and rest time) (2nd Day- higher than normal lifts-below video example- maybe 3-5 singles of high lifts and then 80-90% HOLDS sets usually 1-2)

I have always done singles, super high lifts to get explosiveness & HOLDS- 4-15 seconds. Sledgehammer Fingerwalks are freakin golden for me and do them heavy and 2-4x week. Even if you cant complete the FW, that pressure on thumb and index really tremendous carryover to Keypinch. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s very helpful thanks. 

as you go from 5 to 1 are you adding weight? 

Edited by Brigsy
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Brigsy said:

That’s very helpful thanks. 

as you go from 5 to 1 are you adding weight? 

Yes, on the lighter sets focus on speed and have same concentration level as you would for near max attempts, etc. One tip I forgot to mention that was given to me as I first started my KP journey- at the moment of truth, flex your liting lat as hard as possible. Cheers and best of strength

• Like 2

Just now, Brigsy said:

Anyone else got any thoughts please? 

Consider hitting up gripcraft.hpk on Instagram. He is VERY good at these key pinch lifts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brigsy said:

Aha! As it happens, I am going to see him on Sunday. 

Okay, in that case report back what you learn! :)