Portable Grip Training Options

smaikelzas

3 months from now, in May, I will be start my 9 month journey in the military and I was wondering, what are my best bets on improving grip strength? I have grippers so I will definitely be bringing them with me, are there any other portable devices/tools you guys know about that I could buy to bring with me? Not too worried about losing strength but I would like to improve my grip during this time if possible.

• Like 1

My last tour I took an adjustable gripper, fat grips and a loading sling figured I could make something up for lifts. It depends on how much you can take plus where you are going.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Busa said:

My last tour I took an adjustable gripper, fat grips and a loading sling figured I could make something up for lifts. It depends on how much you can take plus where you are going.

Yeah, I think the how much you can take is going to be the main thing 😅 

Bring a towel, you can hang it on something and do all sorts of pulling exercises folding it in different ways to make it thicker and thinner then use one or two hands or grip it iniltiple directions, lots of variety possible. Even if you don't have something to hang it on you can tie it in a loop, hold one end with your foot and do isometric pulling

• Thanks 1

Maybe RB adjustable with pinch kit to cover crush and pinch, and a gripedo, you can use it in sand for wrist or use it as a forearm roller on a barbell to do wrist stuff, you can train pinch on it too 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

Maybe RB adjustable with pinch kit to cover crush and pinch, and a gripedo, you can use it in sand for wrist or use it as a forearm roller on a barbell to do wrist stuff, you can train pinch on it too 

This... I highly recommend the Sidewinder T6, thick rubber bands for micro-progression on the gripper... The Gripedo looks very interesting as well.. I'm tempted. 

Maybe a Wrist Developer 2? And i really like my chest expander.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This... I highly recommend the Sidewinder T6, thick rubber bands for micro-progression on the gripper... The Gripedo looks very interesting as well.. I'm tempted. 

Maybe a Wrist Developer 2? And i really like my chest expander.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, smaikelzas said:

3 months from now, in May, I will be start my 9 month journey in the military and I was wondering, what are my best bets on improving grip strength? I have grippers so I will definitely be bringing them with me, are there any other portable devices/tools you guys know about that I could buy to bring with me? Not too worried about losing strength but I would like to improve my grip during this time if possible.

Another 80kg gripster here. I highly recommend hanging type of training. You can hang from rolling handles, fat gripz, vertical bars and even pinchblocks or actually anything you have strength to hang from. I assume you can visit home time to time so just schedule your training to few month periods so you dont have to take everything with you. Im pretty sure that also keeps you more motivated because you will be so tired that it would be exhausting to start doing griptraining with 10 tools. Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and strength. It might be tough 9 months but feels good when its over 👊

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, smaikelzas said:

Another thing is Naplams Nightmare with a few handles. This is something i've put a lot of thought into in the past... 

A couple years back I was dealing with a Navy recruiter and i was real serious about enlisting but I couldn't get the Seabees rate. Told him the recruiter id like to look at other services, he started calling me with different phone numbers and it really just turned me off from the whole thing. Wish i wasn't so stubborn and just asked for another recruiter..

The Mass National Guard still contacts me all the time including yesterday, they must be desperate 

Good luck with your training!  Worse comes to worse theres always a place to do pull ups and that works your grip pretty good alone right there.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all the input, I do have the WD2, Sidewinder and Grippers but I won't fit all of them, so I think out of these grippers make the most sense, maybe wd2 for most bang for your buck. Some weekends will go home so probably will have some sick 4 hour workouts once a week when possible 😁. Let's hope there are pull up bars nearby 

Edited by smaikelzas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, smaikelzas said:

Thanks guys for all the input, I do have the WD2, Sidewinder and Grippers but I won't fit all of them, so I think out of these grippers make the most sense, maybe wd2 for most bang for your buck. Some weekends will go home so probably will have some sick 4 hour workouts once a week when possible 😁. Let's hope there are pull up bars nearby 

I think grippers and wd2 sounds perfect. If you can get thumb screws I’d buy those. Crush pinch and wrist coveted!

What branch are you joining in your country?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think grippers and wd2 sounds perfect. If you can get thumb screws I’d buy those. Crush pinch and wrist coveted!

What branch are you joining in your country?

Ground forces, engineering batallion, pretty much building structures/barbed wire/digging trenches and such

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smaikelzas said:

Ground forces, engineering batallion, pretty much building structures/barbed wire/digging trenches and such

Engineering is really cool.   You're going to get a pretty good grip with all that manual labor I bet.

• Like 1

You can do a bunch with resistance bands a carabinier and your RGT.

Deadlifts, Rows...  ... attach your rubber bands to a lamb post...

Endless possibilities 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...