DIY Gripper idea

Scottex92

Has anyone ever unglued a spring from the handles to file a few mm off the spring so it seats deeper and results in higher RGC?

I am very tempted to try this on a cheap 18mm Aliexpress gripper

There are a few reports on reglueing a handle after it came lose. But that's from production errors.

I'm not sure how viable it is to remove a properly glued handle. That's probably the main effort. Filing and reglueing afterwards should work just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mental_Vortex said:

I'm not sure how viable it is to remove a properly glued handle. That's probably the main effort.

This is kind of hard. You basically have to use heat, and so much heat there is great risk of compromising the spring. Almost a guarantee it won’t be the same. And even then the handle doesn’t come off all nice and clean. It’s charred and so hot you have to grab it and pull with pliers or whatever which beats up the knurling. Maybe you could get good at this, but you could also just file the gripper or buy a Bumper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This is kind of hard. You basically have to use heat, and so much heat there is great risk of compromising the spring. Almost a guarantee it won’t be the same. And even then the handle doesn’t come off all nice and clean. It’s charred and so hot you have to grab it and pull with pliers or whatever which beats up the knurling. Maybe you could get good at this, but you could also just file the gripper or buy a Bumper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I like the bumper a lot and I have some filled grippers.I have managed to cover from 70RGC to 180RGC in <2RGC jumps with both. The thing is that I have some very similarly rated grippers that could use a jump to where some filled ones are.

I feel like filled grippers are way harder than their RGC and it could make my jumps way harder.

Also I've dealt with a couple of gripper handles come off while filling (maybe from the heat generated by friction or just by vibration) but those could be defective from factory. Maybe the removing of the handles is not so simple as it was in my mind haha.

• Like 1