Gripper math

LABZSTS

Idk if anyone cared enough to do the math on how much filing a gripper will effect the gripper, specifically how many pounds it adds to it. I always wondered what the actual number is and what it's range is. I will post the few bits of data in this topic

• Like 1

Depends how much you file of course but I think @Cannon says that his filing adds 5-7%

• Like 3

Recently, I bought a pre-rated C.O.C. 2.5 rated at 123. I was looking for a certain range for gripper, being 130-134, since I have a 134 and needed a bridge gripper. Filing this 123 rgc gripper altered its rating to now be 132 lbs. Making that a 9 pound change. More examples to follow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Depends how much you file of course but I think @Cannon says that his filing adds 5-7%

I do remember seeing that on the website. I just wanted to see if any of you guys saw any specific patterns of pre-rated grippers and their new rgc, if that makes any sense. It's a weird request. I also wanted the data because it's entirely possible that the brand, handle thickness, and spring could be other variables. 

Edited by LABZSTS
  • Like 1

As another set of examples, i got 2 different platinum gripper from Cannon, both the old version and the new pinned handles. Both were unfortunately unrated, but they both ended up being 123 lbs. The average ratings for platinum are 117 lbs, with 118 being the mode, so that's a 6 and 7 lb jump for both possibilities.

For gripper math remember changes are always percentages, never pounds. You don't need to know the spring constant, just that it exists and due to that any difficulty increase will be a proportion and not linear, that's why you always add a percentage. It's easy to see in the extreme example like if you filed a 1lb gripper you definitely wouldn't gain multiple pounds and have a several hundred percent increase 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EmilBB said:

Yes for our service that is correct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Filing this 123 rgc gripper altered its rating to now be 132 lbs. Making that a 9 pound change.

Aka 7% :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Both were unfortunately unrated, but they both ended up being 123 lbs. The average ratings for platinum are 117 lbs, with 118 being the mode, so that's a 6 and 7 lb jump for both possibilities.

Aka 5-6%.

Our jig for filing holds the gripper at a certain angle, but harder grippers have a thicker spring which moves the gripper ever-so-slightly farther out from the back wall. This means harder grippers get filed slightly more because the handle is slightly more in the blade. That’s the main reason the percentage varies between 5-7%.

The tipping point is around #2.5 level which bears out in your examples. 5% under that level and closer to 7% over that level. We have started adjusting for this with a shim so lately lighter grippers can be closer to 6-7%. But then there are other variables such as mount. It will always be a range with some variation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1