Leather for wraps

devinhoo

I have probably processed around 20 or so hides from Tandy Leather at this point of various different types. Suede, veg tan, and chrome tan wraps in a bunch of different colors over the past few years. Here is what I think of them, and I would be grateful to know what you all think as well.

IMG_0683.thumb.jpeg.dc5aef08864c010ab054131eaecf6fcf.jpeg

Veg tan
This was the first leather I got that I used for my own wraps. I think of these as the original Eat Chalk Get Big wraps, and they're my personal favorite. This stuff is in the 2.0-2.4 range and starts out extremely stiff to the point where it has to be broken in first before you can get a tight wrap on some bars. 

Chrome tan
I just started using this leather in the past year, and it seems to be closer to FBBC's leather at 1.8-2.4 mm. I've found this kind of leather in a few different colors, each of which has a slightly different feel to it in terms of stiffness, going roughly from red as the softest, hazelnut/ebbtide somewhere in the middle, and saddle tan a little closer to veg tan.

Suede
I've found two different kinds of suede, one the same thickness as FBBC's suede at 1.4-1.8 mm. Most of the exciting colors of suede that I get are this thickness, although the availability of each color comes and goes. The other type of suede I get comes in brown or a greenish color, and are a little bit thicker at 1.8-2.2 mm. The thicker suede wraps are almost comparable to chrome tan wraps. 

• Like 4

I’m excited to buy some and compare, I’ve wanted to explore some different wraps. I’ll let you know. Tandy is close to me so lmk if you need something picked up in person or whatever. Not sure why you would but … you know, happy to help

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Love both leathers, veg and chrome.

But I esp love the suedes! I would gladly throw away any IMP’s for suedes lol

Feels good on the hands, tight wraps always, and doesn’t bunch up like annoying IMP’s.

The purp suedes were my very first, and it was pure love bending anything I could get my hands on.

Keep up the great work and products Devin!💪🏽🤘🏽 

• Thanks 1

Moose Killers are great.

Yet to try any of the ECGB or Horrido offerings.

Recently been using 2-3 oz veg tan that is around 1mm thick.  There is a bit of stretch so it wraps as tight as suede but with less compression.  Overall stiffer than imps or suede.  With thin leather you can build up wraps slowly, one full turn is about 2mm (~1/16) added to the diameter, which can be helpful...