Raw skin feeling

RC_ALPHABET

Hi. What do you guys do when your hands start feeling raw? Do you just go hard and tear the skin to build calluses or do you wear gloves to prevent skin tearing???

Screenshot_20240108-201108.thumb.png.da05ef37aee85f314b26fd9072839b2e.png

I sand the palm once a week with a natural pumice stone while in the shower more extreme cases may need to apply a razor blade, I have read in this forum that people use lotions to also hydrate but I feel like I do not need that (maybe you do).

Never let a callus rip open, that will expose the more soft layers of skin and make you build up your callus from the start.

• Like 2

Nail files, pumice stone, ponceuse/nail drill etc take it to the hand and get working.

You dont want to fully remove the callus, you just want to remove enough that it wont rip off your palm.

• Like 1

I personally just wait it out. The skin in my hands usually feel better a day and a half after heavy grip training. I highly advise not to wear gloves. Memes aside, your grip will develop a lot better and faster without them (in my opinion of course). The pain is the cost of doing business, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Buy hand cream. If you wash your hands with soap 10-20 times a day, you should use it anyways.

If you use chalk during workout, and not use any hand product, your hands will look like mummy soon.

• Like 1

Raw from grippers? 

I found it effective to tape hot spots on my fingers. I like this better than taping the gripper handle. You can use almost any kind of tape, but I found painters tape works well for me. There are good tips above for hand care. 

Also, I moved this thread to the GripBoard instead of in the training log area. :)

• Like 1

David Horne recommends wearing gloves especially in the beginning and even after to protect the skin. I've really never had an issue with my hands, except for a cut once on the webbing between my thumb and index finger from bending and a blister or two from bending. 

But just listen to your body if it hurts dont do it or make adjustments accordingly.  Jedd Johnson just went over this subject.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Raw from grippers? 

I found it effective to tape hot spots on my fingers. I like this better than taping the gripper handle. You can use almost any kind of tape, but I found painters tape works well for me. There are good tips above for hand care. 

Also, I moved this thread to the GripBoard instead of in the training log area. :)

I remember getting roughed up and ripping skin on my pinky and ring finger when I first moved from my CoC 2 closes to my GHP5.  I ended up taping the finger/non-dogleg side with athletic tape and it worked ok. Probably would have been easier to do finger taping. 

Don't mess around with palm rips though. The two times I've attempted RRBT, I've ended up with palm rips that ended the programs and put me out of commission for at least a week or two. Stay on top of those things with all the methods detailed above. 

• Like 1

It's a case by case basis. I have oily skin on my hands, so I train with no gloves and dont use moisturiser and have not had any issues, although I don't use chalk either. If you have dry skin or use chalk a lot, then it may be advisable to use a pumice stone to stop calluses becoming too large and liable to break.

I can go as raw as I want with grip work, pretty much only does the first layer of skin, maybe the second if it's a heavy day.

The exception would be bending which does cause blisters, but there isn't a solution for that other than toughening up

• Like 1

If my hands are getting raw, I will use rhinoskin to help toughen them up for a while. Then moisturizer at night for maintenance. I also keep a kit with razor, sandpaper, emery board, and clippers, and will razor down calluses and file them. On gobies and sores, I use chapstick or a rhinoskin wound stick and bandaids. Training with sores, I use black label mueller tape, sometimes called “euro tape.”

I’m stunned that Cannon used painters tape—idk what that’s about?!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

If my hands are getting raw, I will use rhinoskin to help toughen them up for a while. Then moisturizer at night for maintenance. I also keep a kit with razor, sandpaper, emery board, and clippers, and will razor down calluses and file them. On gobies and sores, I use chapstick or a rhinoskin wound stick and bandaids. Training with sores, I use black label mueller tape, sometimes called “euro tape.”

I’m stunned that Cannon used painters tape—idk what that’s about?!

Which Rhino products do you think would be most helpful for gripsters? I bought Rhino Performance in 2019 in an effort to toughen the web skin between my thumb and index. It calloused the skin there in a few days and the first time I tried to pinch I got the deepest splits I'ver ever had. Also, the callous was super slick.

Ideally, the product would thicken the skin, but keep it supple. I was listening to a PowerCompany podcast and they mentioned a Rhino product that contained a mild acid used in facial exfoliation that seemed promising.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

Which Rhino products do you think would be most helpful for gripsters? I

I don’t honestly know. I don’t think it has a general application in grip. In my limited experience a lot of gripsters have very even callus and don’t face the punishingly rough textures climbers face. The web between thumb and forefinger seems especially tricky because it needs to be soooo supple. I would honestly use a heavy moisturizer on it, or a beeswax balm like Joshua Tree repair balm (probably no better than Vaseline tbh). Is that from super deep, wide pinches? Like the flask or Saxon bar? Would athletic tape help? You can super glue a single layer of athletic  tape over it, then take it off with nail polish remover and cotton balls. I’ve down that for sharp finger cracks, but it’s not casual.

I think rhinoskin performance is great for people with oily skin, who are coming off a break and need their callus back. To my mind, that’s the application. For you—with cracking, I think it’s wrong, because drying causes more cracks. When I’ve had really torn up hands with cracks, I’ve tried rhino repair, and Aquaphor. I like the rhino repair to keep away cracks, but I don’t think it’s special, I think Aquaphor works just as well, even though it’s super annoying.

Some climbers use this German hand toughening cream designed for dairy maids. Supposedly it turns your hands to leather. I think all those toughening agents will cause problems in the case you described, and they tend to decrease performance on slick implements like we use in grip.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

I would honestly use a heavy moisturizer on it, or a beeswax balm like Joshua Tree repair balm (probably no better than Vaseline tbh). Is that from super deep, wide pinches? Like the flask or Saxon bar? Would athletic tape help? You can super glue a single layer of athletic  tape over it, then take it off with nail polish remover and cotton balls. I’ve down that for sharp finger cracks, but it’s not casual.

I've tried JT repair balm and super moisturizers my wife brought home from the dermatologist. They over softened the web skin. Working Hands is an imperfect but decent solution. I just need to watch for the splits to start and be disciplined enough to stop before I open them up - I don't find this easy at all.

The Flask tears my web every time. The 2x5 Saxon rarely causes tears. The 3" Saxon will tear me when I do holds over 100kg or when I get near my max and it starts slipping a bit. Tape has never worked well for grip. I have super glued my skin for bouldering many times but never for grip.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

The Flask tears my web every time. The 2x5 Saxon rarely causes tears. The 3" Saxon will tear me when I do holds over 100kg or when I get near my max and it starts slipping a bit.

Incredibly tricky. Sounds like you’ve tried everything! I wish I knew a solve.

Is it friction with the bar that caused tears or is it just spanning your hands so wide?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

Incredibly tricky. Sounds like you’ve tried everything! I wish I knew a solve.

Is it friction with the bar that caused tears or is it just spanning your hands so wide?

I hope I haven't tried everything. When someone who is plugged into the hand skin obsessed climbing world wanders in to grip I always hope to learn what's new.

When I tear it is usually a combination of edge radius, pinch width, load and texture.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

When someone who is plugged into the hand skin obsessed climbing world wanders in to grip I always hope to learn what's new.

Hah! I climb mostly granite trad and sandstone towers. We’re the least skin obsessed climbers, unfortunately, because it’s so much jamming and so little crimping. You need a 19 year old comp kid or some pro who climbs limestone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

Hah! I climb mostly granite trad and sandstone towers. We’re the least skin obsessed climbers, unfortunately, because it’s so much jamming and so little crimping. You need a 19 year old comp kid or some pro who climbs limestone.

I've climbed a few desert towers and done quite a bit of granite cragging and some mountain routes. Yeah, we made tape gloves and suffered the rest.