Anyone remember this?

deadgrip

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

My forearms do not rotate completely so I came up with the Climber Curl with the |bent" grips to work better for "me".  Turned out a lot of people liked it.  It was pretty easy to make if you can weld (or know someone who does).  I made most (well all) of my equipment for my gym.  Wasn't "professional quality" but worked just fine.  I am a HUGE believer in the wrist curl and reverse wrist curl movements - this device had several advantages over using a barbell.  I have com to believe if more people did those and finger curls - especially in their beginning grip years - there would be a lot fewer injuries when the specialization started.

I’m beginning to love these movements as well. The reverse wrist curls started out of necessity for rehabbing when I started to have wicked tennis elbow after taking up pinching and rolling at the same time and also ramping up grippers. Now I do sets of regular and reverse at least once a week after grip work. 

I wish I could weld. I have made a lot of my own equipment over the years (cable system, TTK, my first anterior tub bar, weight racks), but welding would really expand the possibilities. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I wonder if Luke from Arm Assassin Strength Shop... would fabricate one for you and others. I know he makes custom off pieces.. Cant say enough good things about his operation... I'd be interested maybe also.

42 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

Gil make what looks like a close copy of the PDA version. I know a couple of guys that bought one. It seems like they became dust collectors pretty quickly.

As far as I know Gil still sells through his Barrel Strength Systems site.

20170805_173413.jpg

That is a Climber Curl that Gil made (after asking me for permission to copy and sell).  I had several "ideas" that I made in my garage that I sold that ended up being made and sold professionally.  Climber Curls - Tips Tester - Climber Pinch - the Wrist Thingy - the original Napalms Nightmare (Jedd had the idea and I carried it out for him at his request - then Luke came along and made it much better and expanded it into a product line with different grips.  I had PDA make up the first shot loaded adjustable "Blob".  Several of the things you see once in a while came out of my old brain.  A few became popular - most did not - I still think the Wrist Thingy is the device with the most value - but I think levering is vastly under rated in most peoples training.  I made the Wrist Thingy with different size round handles - pinch blocks etc.  I still use mine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

That is a Climber Curl that Gil made (after asking me for permission to copy and sell).  I had several "ideas" that I made in my garage that I sold that ended up being made and sold professionally.  Climber Curls - Tips Tester - Climber Pinch - the Wrist Thingy - the original Napalms Nightmare (Jedd had the idea and I carried it out for him at his request - then Luke came along and made it much better and expanded it into a product line with different grips.  I had PDA make up the first shot loaded adjustable "Blob".  Several of the things you see once in a while came out of my old brain.  A few became popular - most did not - I still think the Wrist Thingy is the device with the most value - but I think levering is vastly under rated in most peoples training.  I made the Wrist Thingy with different size round handles - pinch blocks etc.  I still use mine.

If there was a Mt. Rushmore of grip@climber511 would get my vote for a spot.  Could probably even climb it too.

• Like 1

I have a homemade wrist thingy and it's always been my favorite way to train pronation and supination. It's just such a good idea to focus on the rotation only and remove any transverse force from being applied to the wrist 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If there was a Mt. Rushmore of grip@climber511 would get my vote for a spot.  Could probably even climb it too.

No climbing is allowed on the Monument formation itself.  We have however climbed the formation behind it and many others in the Mt Rushmore and Needles area for many years.  In 2023 my wife and I did a 50th wedding Anniversary climb of Triconi Nail (a formation in the needles area that we climbed on our 27th and 42 anniversaries also).  Made for a few photos to compare on our 40th year of climbing together.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

I still use my formulator every week.  Probably the best wrist extensor trainer ever.  Sad they stopped making them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, after learning about these I decided I had to have one:

image.thumb.jpeg.70bd42e15591f2ca09b64122cb9bf7c6.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Welp, after learning about these I decided I had to have one:

image.thumb.jpeg.70bd42e15591f2ca09b64122cb9bf7c6.jpeg

haha niiiiice dude!  that’s the way!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had one back in the day - regret selling it.  Was awesome for extentions