Wanted to share a cool video of Slim the Hammer Man I found on youtube

Blacksmith513

Pretty cool to catch a glimpse of the quarry he worked at. I've always liked going to them any chance I get at work.  It still blows my mind that he could lever 56lbs like that. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

"He trains every night from 7 to 11". I wonder what four hours of training looked like for Slim.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

"He trains every night from 7 to 11". I wonder what four hours of training looked like for Slim.

I always wondered what his training regiment looked like. Does anyone have any insight? Or know someone who does? 

He was very sinewy and had crazy arms and forearms. Very genetically gifted. 

• Like 1

Sledgehammer levering is one of those things that you dont really appreciate until you try doing it, it's a shame it's not more common. Who knows what some of the strongest guys could do now

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Slipshod said:

Sledgehammer levering is one of those things that you dont really appreciate until you try doing it, it's a shame it's not more common. Who knows what some of the strongest guys could do now

I agree. I love levering, not sure I can ever reach Slims levels but I’m going to die trying.

Id love to see what Brian Shaw or other incredible strong people are capable of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slipshod said:

There was a man on this board named Joe Sullivan who had the potential to get close to Slim's face levering feats. He posted a double crucifix 20lb face lever. Or was it 16's? He became disenchanted with the grip community, took down all his videos and I haven't heard anything about him since.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

There was a man on this board named Joe Sullivan who had the potential to get close to Slim's face levering feats. He posted a double crucifix 20lb face lever. Or was it 16's? He became disenchanted with the grip community, took down all his videos and I haven't heard anything about him since.

I forget, but Joe was and still probably is a powerhouse... Too bad really, I had some great conversations with him.   I think someone kept stealing his videos and mocking him or something like that.  Maybe there's more to the story I dont know or can't recall.

12 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

That was a great clip man…

i train with slim in my room…

IMG_3260.thumb.jpeg.19113b111f139a1f3c6671460df1930a.jpeg

Thats amazing, I've thought about hanging that picture up on my walls too actually. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats amazing, I've thought about hanging that picture up on my walls too actually. 

haha thanks man well I tried to find a poster of it because I remember someone selling one many years ago so after I couldn’t- I just printed it out.

Also I remember this Joe guy- wasn’t he gripping for Jesus or something like this?

3 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

haha thanks man well I tried to find a poster of it because I remember someone selling one many years ago so after I couldn’t- I just printed it out.

Also I remember this Joe guy- wasn’t he gripping for Jesus or something like this?

Yes he is a man of faith

• Like 1

many years ago I watched a biopic of Slim—- and he talked about how he has special carpet(which I think you can even see in your clip) that he uses when he trains-  and when he steps on the carpet he enters a whole other realm.. it was a very special moment in the film and it has always stuck out to me whenever I’m reminded of him.  

This was a man who trained in ways that few others are willing to step into.. he spoke about breaking his wrists repeatedly and having blinding pains from bending bars over his FACE.  I admire this man very much.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

many years ago I watched a biopic of Slim—- and he talked about how he has special carpet(which I think you can even see in your clip) that he uses when he trains-  and when he steps on the carpet he enters a whole other realm.. it was a very special moment in the film and it has always stuck out to me whenever I’m reminded of him.  

This was a man who trained in ways that few others are willing to step into.. he spoke about breaking his wrists repeatedly and having blinding pains from bending bars over his FACE.  I admire this man very much.

Yup, I've got that DVD. My only complaint is it should be 5 hours long.  There is as much to be said for that mindset and getting in the zone as there is the feats he achieved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup, I've got that DVD. My only complaint is it should be 5 hours long.  There is as much to be said for that mindset and getting in the zone as there is the feats he achieved. 

Strongly agree.  Especially for grip— I’ve always needed to get into a set very intensely whether on grippers or bending- it’s a must.

• Like 1

This makes me want to dig out my copy of the Dennis Rogers Hammer Man DVD (that you guys mentioned above). What's most impressive to me is his longevity. Not only is levering hard as heck, but he continued to be able to do it even as he got much older. That's freaking admirable.

• Like 1

Great video. Had not seen that one before.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

This makes me want to dig out my copy of the Dennis Rogers Hammer Man DVD (that you guys mentioned above). What's most impressive to me is his longevity. Not only is levering hard as heck, but he continued to be able to do it even as he got much older. That's freaking admirable.

I know, its incredible. Its true...Its so admirable.  

5 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Great video. Had not seen that one before.

I was so excited when I found it.. Once in awhile I search his name on google or youtube to see if I can find any "new" things posted.  I wish there was more out there about him. 

• Like 2