Monthly grip challenge- Gripper hold - January 2024

JHenze646

Hello Grip legion, Gripsters and Gripettes!

I would like to celebrate 2024 by posting monthly Grip training challenges here. There will be no prizes and you won’t win anything besides, perhaps, glory. I will be issuing the challenges to have fun and hopefully stimulate better training. Anyone wishing to participate can and will be under the honor system in regards to the integrity of your lifts. I am doing the challenges voluntarily and will probably make mistakes and need to make changes from time to time. Thank you in advance for your patience and consideration. I hope to issue these challenges for as long as there is interest and I am capable.

January 2024 - Gripper Hold

This challenge is in the spirit of the coin hold, Silver bullet hold, etc.

A gripper of the athletes choosing will be held in one hand and an object will be placed between the gripper handles. The gripper will then be closed with only the one hand and the object will be squeezed between the handles for the maximum time the athlete is capable of. All efforts should be made to keep the gripping arm and gripper level and away from the body as well as to only have the gripper handles to touch the held object throughout the timed portion of the attempt.

Both hands can be used to “set” the gripper.

Time will start after the object is placed between the handles and the off hand is removed. Time will end when the object falls from between the gripper handles.

There will be two classifications of  attempts “competitive” and “adventure”.

For Competitive Gripper holds:

The gripper must be RGC’d Torsion spring gripper

A video of the attempt must be posted

The object placed between the handles is to be the handle of another gripper of at least a 3/4 inch diameter.

Competitive scores will be calculated by multiplying the RGC x time in seconds. I ask that attempts be at least 10 seconds but not more than 55 seconds. If your attempt falls outside of the time parameters please adjust the RGC of the utilized gripper until it does.

For the Adventure gripper holds:

Any gripper or (crush-style)grip machine may be utilized as long as it can be held aloft with one hand.

The gripper doesn’t need to be RGC’d and the rating will not affect the scoring.

No video is required but video, photos, or the sworn eye witness testimony of your gym partner is preferred.

Any object can be placed between the gripper handles as long as it’s diameter is greater than 3/4 inches and can be held aloft.

Adventure scores will be entirely fabricated out of thin air.

The challenge ends at the end of the month. If any rules or details are unclear please ask and I will attempt to clarify.

Competitive leaderboard

1. 8140 - Dubyagrip

2. 5365 - Nuttgens

3.  5181 - Bearcat 74

4. 4665.5 - Oli Dilley

5. 4140 - Doctor of Crush

6. 1872 - Lennix

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Competitive scores will be calculated by multiplying the RGC x time in seconds. I ask that attempts be at least 10 seconds but not more than 55 seconds. If your attempt falls outside of the time parameters please adjust the RGC of the utilized gripper until it does.

This is interesting. 

At first I was thinking of going for 10 seconds with a COC 4, which I *might* be able to do with the one I am borrowing (RGC 204 - I've done 7 seconds on that with the 5-pound weight hanging, so 10 with just a gripper handle might work).  My thinking was that I am a pretty good gripper guy and doing such a high RGC would give me a leg up over many. 

But 204 x 10 (=2040) would actually not be a very competitive result.  I'd be much better off doing a COC 3 rated 150, which would be far easier, where even 15 seconds would earn a score of 2250, and I am sure I can do longer than 15. 

So it looks like the best strategy will be to find the highest RGC you can hold for the maximum time you are allowing (55 seconds), rather than the highest RGC you can hold for the minimum, which is how silver bullet is usually ranked.

This is not a complaint, but an observation.  And as yet I have no idea how I can do with what I've got.  My lowest RATED gripper is 132, and I have never done a hold with it so I don't know how close to 55 I can get on it.

We shall see!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

This is interesting. 

At first I was thinking of going for 10 seconds with a COC 4, which I *might* be able to do with the one I am borrowing (RGC 204 - I've done 7 seconds on that with the 5-pound weight hanging, so 10 with just a gripper handle might work).  My thinking was that I am a pretty good gripper guy and doing such a high RGC would give me a leg up over many. 

But 204 x 10 (=2040) would actually not be a very competitive result.  I'd be much better off doing a COC 3 rated 150, which would be far easier, where even 15 seconds would earn a score of 2250, and I am sure I can do longer than 15. 

So it looks like the best strategy will be to find the highest RGC you can hold for the maximum time you are allowing (55 seconds), rather than the highest RGC you can hold for the minimum, which is how silver bullet is usually ranked.

This is not a complaint, but an observation.  And as yet I have no idea how I can do with what I've got.  My lowest RATED gripper is 132, and I have never done a hold with it so I don't know how close to 55 I can get on it.

We shall see!

Just to confirm...I could potentially do an empty Silver Bullet hold (without the 2.5KG weight attached) with my CoC Sport (RGC 37) for 55 seconds and "beat" someone who holds a CoC #4 with a RGC < 203 for 10 seconds?!?

i.e., 55 X 37 = 2,035 and 203 X 10 = 2,030

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

This is interesting. 

We shall see!

So since no attempts have been submitted yet, I can change the scoring. How do you suggest I score?

Sorry for my poor calculations. I always think that an athlete would attempt the highest weight for the most possible time not that they would game the system. I was rushing to get this posted.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

So since no attempts have been submitted yet, I can change the scoring. How do you suggest I score?

Sorry for my poor calculations. I always think that an athlete would attempt the highest weight for the most possible time not that they would game the system. I was rushing to get this posted.

Personally I was planning on doing the heaviest gripper I could with a 9lb weight because I need to practice Silver Bullet for a comp in April.  But I thought @Vinnie asked a good question about scoring.

• Like 1

148 RGC x 55 Seconds

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 11

42 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with being able to game it a bit. That's just competition. It basically becomes find the highest RGC that you can hit 55 seconds with. If you want people using bigger grippers, you can just lower the upper limit (e.g. 30 sec). People will then just use the maximum RGC they can to hit the full time as well. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

Set the minimum time to 20 seconds (or whatever period you set). Holds over 20 seconds would be accepted, but would get no more points than a 20 second hold with a given gripper. Any hold less than 20 seconds is not counted.

For example, I start with a 120 RGC and I am able to hold it for a minimum of 20 seconds, so I get 120 points. On my next submission I am able to hold a 145 for 25 seconds, I succeeded and I get 145 points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it it’s for fun leave it as is it’ll be more of a competition to see how heavy of gripper someone can hold for a minute basically. 

• Like 3

Oh I don't really care how you score it, this is not for money and I was just noticing the possibilities.  Also Dubya already won anyway lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Had to get in on this! :D

Do not try this at home xD cold and havent trained grippers in forever. 

Is helping with the legs ok as it is with SB holds in Ironmind comps? 

• Like 12

Just attempted a Standard Cu 108rgc and got 23 seconds, better than I thought I'd do. 2,484 points. I'm not really messing with grippers right now in favor of other things so I just warm up for a single attempt. I'll try again next week with something different and post a video of an attempt later in the month.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mitch Jones said:

Just attempted a Standard Cu 108rgc and got 23 seconds, better than I thought I'd do. 2,484 points. I'm not really messing with grippers right now in favor of other things so I just warm up for a single attempt. I'll try again next week with something different and post a video of an attempt later in the month.

Saw you are in Lakeland.  My dad lives there, and I was just down there for Christmas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Saw you are in Lakeland.  My dad lives there, and I was just down there for Christmas.

Yeah, I'm in south Lakeland on Shepherd road close to South Florida ave. Small world!

• Like 1

I’ve never tried a hold at this width, it’s an odd spot. 

My plug was .822”, gripper was a GHP7 @ 157lbs - 32-33secs.  I was hoping for 40sec but I ran out of gas, lol.  

Very unclear video loaded now

• Like 7

Hi guys, I've attached the link for my attempt at the January Challenge.

The video didn't focus until the end but this was a pb for me so thought it was worth a share haha. 

It's a COC4 Rated by Gods of Grip at 215 and I held the COC1.5 for approximately 22 seconds. 

Hopefully I can get a better time by the end of the month 🤞🏻!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/m5Bv0xq3wTw?feature=shared

• Like 6

First attempt ever using an SB, but here is my first submission: RGC 115 x 36 = 4,140 pts. 

I did this after attempting 121 and getting 32 sec, so I'll take another fresh crack next week. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

145 rgc coc 3 I counted 38 seconds. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to @dubyagrip for taking the first spot in the first monthly challenge. After putting forth a super strong effort right from the beginning he was able to hold the top spot all month long. Thanks to everyone who participated. There were many impressive attempt.

• Thanks 1