2024 monthly challenges

JHenze646

Would anyone be interested in doing monthly training challenges? There wouldn’t be winners or prizes or anything like that(aside from Glory) but more like a fun lift every month that the community here would participate in.

what say you?

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Would anyone be interested in doing monthly training challenges? There wouldn’t be winners or prizes or anything like that(aside from Glory) but more like a fun lift every month that the community here would participate in.

what say you?

Yeah I like that I would do it.

• Like 1

Sounds fun. I'd participate if I have the equipment. I think I have all or most the basic stuff.

Way cool I will give it a try

• Like 1

Sorry, I haven’t introduced myself yet. But I’d also be keen on this. The griptraining Reddit used to do this and I’ve been looking at the archived challenges for inspiration. I’d be the weakest guy for sure but I’ve been wanting to try new stuff.

• Like 2

Welcome Gabriel, 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am trying to come up with lifts that will be universal. Some, like axle, require the right equipment and the space to perform them.

any lift suggestions?

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I am trying to come up with lifts that will be universal. Some, like axle, require the right equipment and the space to perform them.

any lift suggestions?

I think the most common implements would be rolling handles, blocks, and hubs. That would be a good place to start.

As a simple monthly challenge with no official result or prizes, a rolling handle, block, or hub of any type with a similar measurement would probably work. That would keep people from being left out not wanting to buy a specific brand of equipment. There are a lot of 2 3/8" options in rolling handles like RT, RGT, One hand Nightmare etc. Blocks are mostly 3" i think and most brands similar enough for a challenge. Hubs pretty much the same too.

• Like 1

I see no way around the equipment problem. You can try your best, and maybe it’ll be the incentive some of us need to branch out, or to meet other gripsters in our area. If you do an axle lift, you should definitely do a 10s, 20mm hangboard hang for time.

Inch pinch deadlift can be done DIY. Sledge Chokes are cheap. 1arm hang for time. Towel hangs for time. Gymnastic ring pushups. Vertical pipe deadhang or hilt lift is pretty cheap. Dirty Dozen Egg Break for time (got this from Reddit). Coin Lift and  Barbell Finger Curl are accessible to many folks.  One arm finger walk a sledge hammer for time. Bend 10 60ds for time. Strap holds on a gripper.

It’s hand size dependent, but cleaning kettlebells. Maybe you could do a hilt lift with a 60d nail, tying a rope around the head? That’s cheap and novel. 

I’m a noob so not sure if any of those are good ideas.

Will you do novice and beef cake divisions or is everyone just mixed in?

thanks for working on this!!!

• Like 3

That'd be fun, definitely nice to have motivation to use some implements that may be collecting a little dust 

• Like 1

Hey @Gabriel Tallent what did you mean by "If you do an axle lift, you should definitely do a 10s, 20mm hangboard hang for time."?

I like the sledge finger walk and barbell finger curl ideas.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

Hey @Gabriel Tallent what did you mean by "If you do an axle lift, you should definitely do a 10s, 20mm hangboard hang for time."?

I meant it only very lightly. My thinking is that there are people in grip who hangboard a lot and may not have an axle, and people who do a lot of axle lifts but have probably never done hangboard. Including both as fun monthly challenges encourages both camps (the lifters and the climbers) to do something fun and new. 

This shows my inexperience, but I think of the axle as very familiar, and very particular too the people with strongman experience. Personally I’ve never tried but would love an excuse to learn.

Edit: I see now that I messed it up. I meant "a 10s, 20mm hang board hang for weight" not time. A hang board hang, on a 20mm deep edge, with weight added. Total weight= bodyweight + weight added. So it's fair across body types, is what I was thinking.

Edited by Gabriel Tallent
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

I meant it only very lightly. My thinking is that there are people in grip who hangboard a lot and may not have an axle, and people who do a lot of axle lifts but have probably never done hangboard. Including both as fun monthly challenges encourages both camps (the lifters and the climbers) to do something fun and new. 

This shows my inexperience, but I think of the axle as very familiar, and very particular too the people with strongman experience. Personally I’ve never tried but would love an excuse to learn.

I think an axle hold for time using World of Grip increments is a good idea. Pulley sprains seem likely with hangboard challenges, especially for the big guys.

Do you have a grip community in SLC?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

I think an axle hold for time using World of Grip increments is a good idea. Pulley sprains seem likely with hangboard challenges, especially for the big guys.

Do you have a grip community in SLC?

That makes sense! I didn't think of the risk of injury.

I haven't found a grip community here. I bet there is one––I just haven't found it. There are strong guys doing nail bending, and strong guys doing stone lifts. But we just went through a complicated pregnancy and birth and now I have very small twins plus a toddler. That's kept working out in my basement, which is the reason I'm online, rather than sending towers in Canyonlands, my more usual hangout.

• Like 1

Alright, I have a few ideas. That should be enough to get started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1