Slight forum reorganization in 2024

Cannon

Hello Grip Nerds! 

There will be a slight forum reorganization at the beginning of 2024. Some of the updates won't be that noticeable but a couple will. If you primarily use the unread content button to view the forum then you might not even notice these changes immediately. 

The two biggest changes:

1) The GripBoard itself will move to the top of the page. So instead of being one of the communities under Training, our actual main community that is literally "the GripBoard" will be a stand-alone destination right at the very top. If you're a new person arriving here, we want that main community to be the first thing you see. 

2) In order to make room at the top of the forum organization, the sponsor forums will move to the bottom. Another reason for this is that beginning in 2024, sponsorship will work differently and not include a sub-forum as part of the plan. More on that later. In the long run we will likely phase out these sub-forums, but there is a question of what to do with the content. For now, they will still be around, just featured less prominently. 

The smaller changes:

Some of these changes have already taken place and focus on removing obsolete sub-forums and regrouping a few for clarity in navigation and prominence based on traffic. One example is there was a Powerball sub-forum under Equipment. Really, all those Powerball posts should just be in the Equipment forum so they have been moved. They were all tagged with "Powerball" so you can easily find them all if you wish. 

Otherwise, a couple forums will jockey around and a couple will be renamed for clarity in what they are used for now. A big one is Community Records and Stats. None of the lists in that forum tracked records or stats. So it will be rebranded as Grip Feat Lists.

Won't this cause a huge mess? 

No, don't worry. The forum software is pretty brilliant and any forum, thread, or post is identified by a number that doesn't change no matter where that item is located or what it is called. So any links that exist within the forum or on Google will still work. Reorganizing forums on the back end is just a simple drag and drop. Easy peasy. Also, no content is being deleted. The GripBoard is a living history of this sport and we would hate to lose anything.  

Let's crush it in 2024!     

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...

While I didn’t know how the Gripboard would be improved apon, it has!  Great job Matt! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, Aroostook Barbell said:

While I didn’t know how the Gripboard would be improved apon, it has!  Great job Matt! 

The other night I was watching to The founder of Cannon Powerworks, Matt Cannon, Gripsport Latino #26 and around the 2:46:30 mark @Cannon and @pancho_grip_lift talked about the GripBoard site and kicked around some ideas.

Got me thinking that to make it a bit more visually appealing and user friendly, what if we used tiles so it looked more like my NetFlix home screen?

Stay with me for a minute...

Like instead of having to scroll down to Grip Feat Lists, click it, a new page opens up, and then I click again for what I want...it's just one row on the page and I swipe/slide to left/right and click the icon for what I want?

And maybe instead of "My List" there's people I follow and their respective icons are in a row for me to swipe/slide left/right to see what my friends are up to?

EVEN BETTER..on my phone, it would be awesome if I could just swipe/slide through icons without having to read a bunch of texts.  Would make it more like Instagram where I can scroll through like five photos in one post by simply moving left/right.

So yeah...I put together some sample icons* for the Grip Feat Lists just to try to give an idea of what I'm trying to explain.  Just a thought.

* These are just images I got from the internet with some text added via Microsoft PowerPoint and Paint.  Obviously the real artwork could be a whole lot better.

Tile 1.jpg

Tile 2.jpg

Tile 3.jpg

Tile 4.jpg

Tile 5.jpg

Tile 6.jpg

Tile 7.jpg

Tile 8.jpg

Tile 9.jpg

Tile 10.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

The other night I was watching to The founder of Cannon Powerworks, Matt Cannon, Gripsport Latino #26 and around the 2:46:30 mark @Cannon and @pancho_grip_lift talked about the GripBoard site and kicked around some ideas.

Got me thinking that to make it a bit more visually appealing and user friendly, what if we used tiles so it looked more like my NetFlix home screen?

Stay with me for a minute...

Like instead of having to scroll down to Grip Feat Lists, click it, a new page opens up, and then I click again for what I want...it's just one row on the page and I swipe/slide to left/right and click the icon for what I want?

And maybe instead of "My List" there's people I follow and their respective icons are in a row for me to swipe/slide left/right to see what my friends are up to?

EVEN BETTER..on my phone, it would be awesome if I could just swipe/slide through icons without having to read a bunch of texts.  Would make it more like Instagram where I can scroll through like five photos in one post by simply moving left/right.

So yeah...I put together some sample icons* for the Grip Feat Lists just to try to give an idea of what I'm trying to explain.  Just a thought.

* These are just images I got from the internet with some text added via Microsoft PowerPoint and Paint.  Obviously the real artwork could be a whole lot better.

Tile 1.jpg

Tile 2.jpg

Tile 3.jpg

Tile 4.jpg

Tile 5.jpg

Tile 6.jpg

Tile 7.jpg

Tile 8.jpg

Tile 9.jpg

Tile 10.jpg

I love it! It's super visual and easier to search 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

I love it! It's super visual and easier to search 

9 hours ago, steeve tremblay said:

ingenious, easier to visualize good idea

Thank you both so much!  As long as I'm sharing ideas, I was thinking this morning that there may be a way to track the last time a logged in user clicked an icon...and perhaps the website/app could put a "NEW" tag on the icon if there's been a post within that topic since the last time that user visited that page.

Something like these tags in the corners or something to draw my attention to areas with new information to explore:

New Tags.jpg

• Like 1