Has anyone seen this

John Knowlton

This looks interesting has anyone seen or tried one 

IMG_1670.png

• Like 4

I've used it before

The maximum tension felt similar to coc 3.5.

There was no significant difference compared to the robert baraban adjustable1703341394463.thumb.jpg.e388436c7a1d19c59f43a0f2b861bab3.jpg

Edited by Seoyoon
  • Like 5

I found this one on Amazon for $208.00 

You have one , what do think . Is it worth spending the money 

It does look cool. I struggle with these as TSG replacements, but I acknowledge not everything is about TSGs. Expansion spring grippers can really build setting and sweep strength but they do kind of "give up" at the end. The cost is hard for me to swallow. At $208 you can buy THREE IronMind Sets of 3 and get 9 TSGs for $198. The $10 left over pretty much covers shipping. I know an adjustable gripper has more than 9 settings, but for the average person who has one of these, I wonder if they use more than 2 or 3 settings. 

This one is a cool design and looks well-made. Interesting to hear there is no discernable difference when compared to the RB Adjustable. 

• Like 2

$208.00 is a lot of money. But it looks cool. 

• Like 1

I don't have the one at the top of the page, but I do have David Horne's Vulcan and I use more than two or three settings. Admittedly, I don't use his heavier springs, but I can work up from high reps to barely closing it with both the lighter spring and a somewhat heavier spring. I also have an Ivanko Supergripper - it is the old model, so no knurled handles and only two springs. Even with that, I am capable of more than three settings. When I first got it I was fitter, stronger and of course, younger and I had a wider range than I do now. So, assuming the springs on that monster gripper aren't too strong on the lowest setting, it should be useable.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Hayes1 said:

I also have an Ivanko Supergripper - it is the old model, so no knurled handles and only two springs.

This is an interesting comment. I believe the ISG has never changed and has always been no knurled handles and two springs. There are number of knock-offs and similar products. I saw one the other day which came with like 6 springs but was not an ISG. I know the PDA Devil's Advocate had the knurled handles. And there was another one from a company called Vice Gripper I think. 

Ultimately this is kind of a question I'm posing: Does anyone know if a true Ivanko Super Gripper ever had any alternate versions? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This is an interesting comment. I believe the ISG has never changed and has always been no knurled handles and two springs. There are number of knock-offs and similar products. I saw one the other day which came with like 6 springs but was not an ISG. I know the PDA Devil's Advocate had the knurled handles. And there was another one from a company called Vice Gripper I think. 

Ultimately this is kind of a question I'm posing: Does anyone know if a true Ivanko Super Gripper ever had any alternate versions? 

I got mine in ‘92. With the harder springs than the previous ones. According to Randall …the earliest springs were easier; 4 springs were as strong as 2 of the springs we know today. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slazbob said:

According to Randall …the earliest springs were easier; 4 springs were as strong as 2 of the springs we know today. 

Like Randall Strossen? Just like as a matter of history he knew this answer? 

I guess my question is whether the ISG ever shipped in any form except 2 springs and no knurled handles. 

7 minutes ago, slazbob said:

yes, Randall had an old one in his garage. Said the springs were easier in the beginning.

Good to know, although possibly unrelated to whether the ISG shipped in any format except 2 springs and no knurled handles. I don't think it ever has. :) 

I have one I got around 94

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Good to know, although possibly unrelated to whether the ISG shipped in any format except 2 springs and no knurled handles. I don't think it ever has. :) 

On this site: title, First Super Gripper. has the beginnings from Mighty Joe. Said it was originally Black

Edited by slazbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The knurled handles were added to the Ivanko's as a mod by Piedmont Design back in the day. Here is a picture. I thought it was a really good modification.  

image.jpeg.380257bef0069b7fa663be29336683d1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2023 at 1:07 AM, John Knowlton said:

You have one , what do think . Is it worth spending the money 

I bought it used for $45, and it wasn't bad. But if it's $208, I don't think I'll buy it. 😅

yes $208 is way too much for me. but $45. that was a good hit for you.

Hi, Sorry to all for the confusion. I should have been clearer. My gripper is an original Ivanko SG. No knurling. Most of the ones I have seen with the knurled handles were copies/knock-offs, but the first knurled version I saw was an original Ivanko SG modified by Piedemont Design Associates. In writing my comment I short-circuited all of the above to save time. 

I have never tried to add extra springs. I am not sure I feel confident about getting them on and off without injury. (My existing springs are very secure.)

• Like 1

I think the first one with handles was called iron woody.  The PDA version I have has 4 springs and 2 spacers plus a bar to help load the springs. Comes in a canvas bag.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 9:04 PM, Busa said:

I think the first one with handles was called iron woody.  The PDA version I have has 4 springs and 2 spacers plus a bar to help load the springs. Comes in a canvas bag.

Thanks, that helps