Training hub without a hub.

BottledCitrus

You can try gripping dumbbells by the top kinda imitating the hub, but if I wanted to increase my hub I would just work on my pinch lifts with pinch blocks/saxon or just plate pinching or even hubbing the plates if no implements, not ideal but I believe it would have carryover

Edited by smaikelzas
Added stuff

3 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Just curious if one could train for hub, without using a hub. If so. What would those ways be?

Try to find some circular object with roughly the same diameter and lift it. 

I once drilled a large eyebolt through a hockey puck. 

• Like 2

There's an old (2009) article, "Home Made Grip Devices" at https://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/dieselHMGD.pdf with suggestions and instructions.  It includes photos to give you an idea of the end product.

Hubs with hockey pucks is in there...

12 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Just curious if one could train for hub, without using a hub. If so. What would those ways be?

There is nothing quite like training with a hub!  That being said, you have great timing.  I have been meaning to put a bombproof Clint Moneymaker hub up for trade on the board for a few weeks.  I see it every time I go out to the garage.  And I haven't used it in quite a while.  Because, frankly, I don't like pinch work, lol.  I'm going on lunch in an hour.  If you want me to put up a picture of it, let me know.  

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Hubs with hockey pucks is in there...

Oh nice! Great minds….

• Like 1

I do feel like Ben is right though. Hub is one of the most economically priced tools. The one from Arm Assassin is $25 and comes in 2 depths.

• Like 2