Building Up Tendon Strength Without Bending

Clay Edgin

Some thoughts for discussion among the members...

I think it's almost common knowledge that doing bench, squat, overhead, and deadlift lockouts are beneficial to the strengthening of the skeletal system, tendons, and ligaments because it places a large stress on your body. Bending is very much about having strong bones and even stronger tendons, at least from what I can tell. Granted, I've only been bending for a month or so, but I have taken note of the pain I get after bending. Not a bad pain, but that "worked to the bone" feeling that comes after the workout.

It's the same feeling I get whenever I do close grip bench press lockouts and overhead press lockouts (less than 6" range of motion). The tendons near the elbow are sore from the stress, and I think that maybe doing those lockouts in the gym could help strengthen your body for bending.

Given the combined experience of the veteran benders around here, I doubt this is a new idea. Just something I've been mulling over for a couple days and wanted to see if I'm on to something.

Thoughts? Accusations? Flaming bags of poo?

Tendon strength is key, but I'm not sure gym type lock-outs would be the best way to improve your bending tendon strength. Of course, it would never hurt and could indirectly help your bending. Generaly, I believe bending by itself provides all the tendon-stimulation you need, the only other half is recovery. Good thoughts though. I'll give it more of a think over, and see what happens...

When I try beding slim style I get sore for a few daysacross the tendons between the thumb and forefinger will this just toughen up the more I bend?

I feel as though I should rest a few days betweeen each bending day.