Wtf?

CMunger

No other possible explanation. I'm gonna pick up a couple others from different sources and see what's up. I can bend < 5" with two different sourced 1/4" steel, but the original 60d nail I picked up before I started bending is defying any and all attempts to bend it any farther than I have so far. I'm tempted to mail it off to someone who can teach the damn thing a lesson. :yikes I'll let you know what happens with the new ones.

No other possible explanation. I'm gonna pick up a couple others from different sources and see what's up. I can bend < 5" with two different sourced 1/4" steel, but the original 60d nail I picked up before I started bending is defying any and all attempts to bend it any farther than I have so far. I'm tempted to mail it off to someone who can teach the damn thing a lesson. :yikes I'll let you know what happens with the new ones.

Post a pic of the nail, maybe I can identify it. There are some hard ones out there for sure.

I had the same experience when after I had bent a 5" piece of 1/4" HRS from the Crown Bolt Co., I discovered I was unable to even kink an average 60D.

I have some of those beasts. They are very hard to bend (I can't). The only noticable difference from some others that are much easier to bend is the head. It is slightly larger and, as you noticed, slightly off center.

Mike M.

I'm sending a few to dave in the next day or so, so shoot me your address in a PM and I'll send a few your way as well. I can't rule out the "I'm a puss" explanation, but it just seems like I should be able to do more to this thing, ya know? Could it be because it's been bent slightly already? I haven't had any problems finishing other unfinished bends, though. I guess we'll find out because I'll have some more untouched ones to hack at myself, plus your opinions.

Having Pat or Steve Weiner test them out should answer your question. It would be pretty cool if you have found some 220Kg+ 60D's we can bend on the cheap.

Can you bend one with bracing?

I've never tried bracing. Not exactly sure how I'd do it. I'm so used to doing the strict form thing that I think it would feel very awkward to start trying to push with my knee. I'm gonna make a run a bit later today here to pick some up, then we should be able to find out the scoop within a few days. I think I'm gonna toss my started one in as well in case just that specific one is a mutant. It seriously feels about like a Grade 5 to me, in that I've never managed more than a slight warp. But Milfield's experience makes me wonder if it's more me than the nail. I'll be curious to see where they rank. I've got some different variety 60d's coming, so I'll be able to compare as well once my hand recovers from having that 2nd 4 5/8" trying to crucify me..

I completely agree that they feel like Grade 5 bolts; very stiff. I didn't want to say this last night because I have never fully bent a Grade 5 either so any such comparison by me is suspect. But since you said it too, I feel better. The strange thing is I bought a 50 lb box and it contains both regular, small headed 60s and the brutes in an approximately equal ratio. The box is unmarked, the guy had a huge bin of nails and was scooping out handfulls into the box until 50# was reached. They must get them from different suppliers and just dump them all together(?) I tried to bend one last night after I was totally warmed up and it barely has a kink in it (less than in your photo). I tried everything short of pliers and a vice to bend it (bracing, padded biking gloves, gut-splitting effort, etc.) and only a kink was achieved.

Mike M.

I spotted a couple of the small headed ones this morning when I went and bought more. I figured i would compare them and see how they fared after I rest up. There were also some interesting looking 40d that I picked up because they were in a smaller box on top of the bins. They actually look like abotu 45d if there was such a thing. Definitely different from the shiny 40d I've bent.

So, some of these 60d's are on their way to Terminator to check out, as well as Dave M. Priority mail this am, so expect them within a few days, guys.

Well, they are hard but not as hard as Grade 5 bolts. I got fully warmed up last night and got one down to the point of chest crushing it. It was a long and ugly battle but I feel they are easier than Grade 5s. Very hard for me but I got further than I do with Grade 5s. Pat and Dave will bend them.

Mike M.

I received the nails on Saturday, and tired one on Sunday amidst my other bending. I thought it was quite easy, maybe it was one of the easier ones mixed into the batch.

Chris, there is one in the batch that has a slight kink, is that the one you had tried? If so I'll give that one a go on video.

I honestly think I can bend two of these together and I will video it if I take a shot.

Thanks for the nails!

I got some 60d's from pexter and Dave that I think are a bit easier than these, because I've bent some of those now. After I've bent all of those, I'll go back to the offset head ones and see how it feels. The slightly bent one is the original one from the picture. That's the one I was fighting with, so show it what it was supposed to be doing when a person torques on it. :D When you do it, see if you can notice any "work hardening" difference, because I've heard different opinions on whether it exists in these metal types. I'd be curious as to whether I was maybe jsut experiencing that phenomena, or if I just plain wasn't ready for that particular nail yet when I was trying it. Although I had failed miserably as recent as about one week ago.