chrisof4

I am new to the world of bending (I started Jan. 1, 2004). This seems like a very supportive place, and I want to briefly introduce myself.

My father-in-law has been bending bright 60d common nails for as long as my wife can remember. Here in Kansas City, most people know him by his nickname, Nailbender. He is now 63 and can still bend several nails a day.

He also hauls the equipment for the NFL teams from the airport to the stadium and then back to the airport after the games. Nailbending is a part of his business because he routinely bends nails for anyone in the league who asks him. He takes great pride in the fact that no NFL player has ever bent one of his nails.

This last year I began helping him, and it is possible I will take over all or part of his business at some time in the future. I think it would be great to continue with the bending aspect, because it acts as a great ice-breaker, and it also helps people remember you from year-to-year. It is also a lot of fun.

I started bending 3/16" HRS on January 1 of this year. I started with 7" and gradually worked down to 5". Since I have never bended before, I am going relatively slow so I can find out where my current limits are without injuring myself. Once I could do 3 of these in succession, I switched over to 3/16" CRS which I found more difficult. I gradually worked down to 5" with the CRS, but can still only bend one at a time.

Last night I managed to bend a 40d 5" polebarn nail, which I found much more difficult than the 3/16" CRS. I also tried a 60d 5", but was only able to kink it. I guess my short term goal is to be able to bend bright 60d common nails as well as my father-in-law before next football season.

Anyway, thank you for providing this forum. I have learned an awful lot from reading everyone elses posts and the FAQ's. It is also encouraging to read about everyone elses successes. Everytime I read about how well others are doing, I have to perform a bend after I log off. I guess I am hooked!

Chris

This is one of the coolest posts I read in a while!

Welcome to the Board! and good luck with your goals.

What technique does your father-in-law use, and how did he get into bending nails?

-HH

He mostly bends using a double overhand grip (slim style?).

I don't know how he got into this. If I know him, someone once bet him it couldn't be done, so he proved them wrong. BTW - Don't ever bet against him. ;)

The next time we are together, I will ask him how he got started. It is such a part of who he is, that I never thought to ask. He has always been Nailbender to me and my wife. Someone hand carved a sign for his little house at the lake that says "Nailbender's Place". Someone else hand painted a sign for his dock that says "Nailbender's Dock". Needless to say, no one ever tries to steal anything from either place.

Chris

Welcome Chris! I really enjoyed reading your father-in-law's story. You've come to the right place for all the grip info you'll ever need!

Welcome aboard Chris.

Finally a fellow bender in the KC area.

I can help you get that 60D in no time.

Are you also into the COC Grippers ?

Hi, tmmicklabs. It is good to know there is another gripper here in KC.

I have not used the COC grippers yet, but I have been thinking about getting a set. I have been at this for less than a week so far, so my training equipment is still pretty limited. Most of my work so far involves 4lb and 8lb sledgehammers, and a variety of nails I picked up at the hardware stores.

Chris

You gotta get some Grippers.

They are soo addicting it is not even funny.

I guess my short term goal is to be able to bend bright 60d common nails as well as my father-in-law

Chris, Welcome to your new home. By the way, I don't recommend bending your father in law.

ROFL :laugh I had to read that twice before I got it. I didn't realize it could be read that way. I believe I will take your advice, as my father-in-law would certainly bend me if I tried. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Chris

I was with my father-in-law today (Nailbender), and I casually asked him how he got into bending nails in the first place. He said, when he was about 25 years old, he was unloading a semi full of heavy equipment. The person he was unloading it for told Nailbender he was "pretty strong for his size". He then proceeded to tell Nailbender how he used to bend 60 common nails until he broke both his wrists in an accident.

Nailbender then asked if he had one of those nails. The man told him there was no way he could bend one. < < That amounts to throwing a gauntlet for Nailbender, and he now demands to be given one of those nails. :angry: The man scrounges one up and gives it to 'ol Nailbender, who manages to bend it on the first try. :ohmy

Well, now that Nailbender knows it is possible, and realizes that there are very few people who can perform such a feat, he simply continues performing the trick until it becomes a part of his life.

Keep in mind that was 38 years ago, and he still bends them to this day. :bow

I was hoping he would bend one today, and I could get it on video. I will keep trying.

Also, he was telling about a news segment in which he was featured during Chief's training camp in River Falls, WI. He has a copy on VHS, and if I can find a way to digitize it, I will try to upload it. I haven't seen it myself yet, so let me make sure it is worth the effort.

Chris

That's a great story about your father-in-law's initiation into my new favorite pastime. I'd love to see that news spot of him. Copy it onto another VHS tape and send it in to Wannagrip, and he can post it on the Gripboard. By the way, I wonder if he has any idea how many crazed bending enthusiasts inhabit this board. Tell him after a tough 60D comes the grade 5 bolt (1/4"X6").

Cyberpump

PO Box 804

Marion, IA 52302-0804

PS- You may want to get Wannagrip's approval prior to mailing off the video.