Filed gripper training.

mcalpine1986

I've just bought a Filed gripper but have never trained with Filed grippers before, it should be arriving here soon.

Id imagine the sweep would be easier then really ramp up towards the end which could be more stressful on the hands and take a longer recovery time maybe.

Anyone who trains with filed grippers, is it best to train to them normally like you would with a normal unfilled gripper or is it best to reduce the volume? 

I suppose there is only one way for me to find out and try it but it would be nice to hear others thoughts on the matter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Id imagine the sweep would be easier then really ramp up towards the end

If you mean compared to an unfiled gripper from the same brand at the same rating, then yes.

I used filed grippers in my most successful training block. To be honest, I never liked them and probably never will, but it is a very useful tool. I think the main advantage is not even getting strong at the crush. It forces you to have a good set/position, otherwise it will be much, much harder to close the gripper. With unfiled grippers, you can still get away with a suboptimal set, handle sliding back, etc. But with filed grippers, if it slides back too much, you can get into a mechanically very disadvantageous position where it's almost impossible to close it.

could be more stressful on the hands and take a longer recovery time maybe.

I never felt like I needed a longer recovery time just because I used filed grippers. Volume and intensity are much bigger factors for me. 

Anyone who trains with filed grippers, is it best to train to them normally like you would with a normal unfilled gripper or is it best to reduce the volume? 

I think this will depend on the individual. But I recommend using filed grippers as an assistance to unfiled grippers. For example, after your main sets, you do 3x2 or 3x3 filed closes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, matek said:

If you mean compared to an unfiled gripper from the same brand at the same rating, then yes.

I used filed grippers in my most successful training block. To be honest, I never liked them and probably never will, but it is a very useful tool. I think the main advantage is not even getting strong at the crush. It forces you to have a good set/position, otherwise it will be much, much harder to close the gripper. With unfiled grippers, you can still get away with a suboptimal set, handle sliding back, etc. But with filed grippers, if it slides back too much, you can get into a mechanically very disadvantageous position where it's almost impossible to close it.

I never felt like I needed a longer recovery time just because I used filed grippers. Volume and intensity are much bigger factors for me. 

I think this will depend on the individual. But I recommend using filed grippers as an assistance to unfiled grippers. For example, after your main sets, you do 3x2 or 3x3 filed closes.

Thank you for the informative reply, some excellent points in there. I shall see how I fare with it when it arrives.

It is a COC 2 which was 103lbs before filing and according to most old threads it should go up about 7% roughly in RGC so it may be about 110lbs which should be optimal for my current strength level for some solid work sets.

Treating it as assistance work does make sense with what you have said.