Does Pinch Training Help With Grippers?

DrBartlebee

Has anyone had noticeable carryover to grippers by training pinch, or vice versa? Personally I have noticed that as I have gotten stronger on grippers, my pinch has also gone up with almost no training. If they are somehow correlated in any meaningful way, I think I would be more motivated to train pinch to help my gripper progress.

• Like 2

I don't know if I've experienced carryover, but I know that I can train pinch and grippers as hard as I want together, and it doesn't affect my progress or recovery.  There's no reason to not train pinch, bro.  Get after it!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

From what I understand, the pinch can hypertrophy the thenar and hypothenar eminence (thumb pad and pinkie pad) which will make a solid base/bigger base for setting the gripper 

I have found some correlation; my pinch has gotten a little better as I've trained grippers, without training pinch.

If one is setting the gripper with the opposite hand that would be more or less a pinch movement, wouldn't it?  I would imagine that that gripper training would improve just from that.

From mainly training with the RGT and 2.5" crusher and NN 2x5" pinch I went from hardly closing a #1 COC to being within a 1/4" of closing a #2.. Thats without proper technique and not training grippers at all during that period.

So for me at least theres been carry over. Not sure if it was more pinch or thick bar. But its nice to know I''m that much closer to the #3 without touching them.

At the very least it cant hurt your gripper training. The only way that woulf happen is if you are already overtraining - so take a rest week.

It can be useful for getting over plateaus  and you should be able to train both without affecting the other much. Unless you have seriously strong thumbs, it is unlikely that your fingers after grippers/thick bar are going go be the limiting factor in pinch.

I've come to believe that strong is strong - so in theory at least everything should help everything.  But theory is just not the real world and people are so very different. What helps one person may not do much if anything for the next - it depends on what each persons weaknesses were and if what you are doing addresses that.  And developing size in ones hands can be a plus or a minus.  An example is thick hands hurt fat bar.  My belief is that technique plays such a huge role and almost no one takes advantage of that across the board.  I'm a prime example - I've honed my two hand pinch technique but ignored gripper technique completely - and my results make that very plain.  As dubyagrip said recovery is key - don't add any more than you can recover from.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I've come to believe that strong is strong - so in theory at least everything should help everything. 

Strength is never a weakness. Weakness is never a strength. 

• Like 2