What rep ranges do you use for grippers?

AdriaanRobert96

So this is a question specific to you, I am curious how others go about it so I’ll go first..

First 3 months looked like this: 

4 attempts on the heaviest gripper you can almost close, then 4 attempts on the heaviest gripper you can close.

(this worked for about 3 months and got me closing the #3 with CCS and No-Set within a month).

After those 3 months my workouts looked like this: 

1 set of 4-7 reps with a heavy #3 and a off set to a easy #3 for 4-7 reps.

I now honestly think about switching to multiple sets of moderate reps..

Something like 3+ sets of as many reps as possible, it seems to work on my left hand so I’ll maybe give it a try..

So how about you lads, how does your workout look?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 11:30 AM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So this is a question specific to you, I am curious how others go about it so I’ll go first..

First 3 months looked like this: 

4 attempts on the heaviest gripper you can almost close, then 4 attempts on the heaviest gripper you can close.

(this worked for about 3 months and got me closing the #3 with CCS and No-Set within a month).

After those 3 months my workouts looked like this: 

1 set of 4-7 reps with a heavy #3 and a off set to a easy #3 for 4-7 reps.

I now honestly think about switching to multiple sets of moderate reps..

Something like 3+ sets of as many reps as possible, it seems to work on my left hand so I’ll maybe give it a try..

So how about you lads, how does your workout look?

I have never shared my rep count or training methods because it is so high that everyone would surely have things to say about how I should lower it immediately. haha And I’m not really sure what would be the absolute best—I’ve just noticed that whenever I do low reps I feel like my progress isn’t all that great. I do drop sets starting at a heavy gripper, gradually going down until I finish a full 9 sets of 12 reps. I have always done this. It may not be perfect, but it got me from struggling with the light beginner grippers to now closing the toughest #2.5 I have. I am not super strong by any means, but I likely won’t make a major shift until I feel confident I am getting better gains another way. 

Any tips? I have a massive variety of grippers, so I also enjoy using as many as possible. It adds to the fun for me. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, IzzyGrasp said:

I have never shared my rep count or training methods because it is so high that everyone would surely have things to say about how I should lower it immediately. haha And I’m not really sure what would be the absolute best—I’ve just noticed that whenever I do low reps I feel like my progress isn’t all that great. I do drop sets starting at a heavy gripper, gradually going down until I finish a full 9 sets of 12 reps. I have always done this. It may not be perfect, but it got me from struggling with the light beginner grippers to now closing the toughest #2.5 I have. I am not super strong by any means, but I likely won’t make a major shift until I feel confident I am getting better gains another way. 

Any tips? I have a massive variety of grippers, so I also enjoy using as many as possible. It adds to the fun for me. 

Interesting stuff. I've never heard of anyone doing drop sets on grippers but hey if it works for you 👍

You have me curious, why 9 sets of 12 reps? Is there a particular reason for specifically that or do you just like that set and rep scheme? That's a lot of volume.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

If it works keep doing until it does not. Then change it up , there is no right or wrong way as long as you keep moving forward.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

If it works keep doing until it does not. Then change it up , there is no right or wrong way as long as you keep moving forward.

and if that doesnt work

do it wrong until you do it right

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Interesting stuff. I've never heard of anyone doing drop sets on grippers but hey if it works for you 👍

You have me curious, why 9 sets of 12 reps? Is there a particular reason for specifically that or do you just like that set and rep scheme? That's a lot of volume.

Considering I started doing it as a total noob with my first set of cheap hand grippers, I was likely aiming for 100 total or something like that. And depending on the exercise I am familiar with rep counts of 6 or 12 per set. 

The continual high volume might keep me from excelling on the high end frequently, but if I ever take a short break I can usually see some good results. I am curious to see where my wall will be with this training method though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. It’s hard to feel motivated to change things up when I am still moving up my row of grippers as it is. If I get caught on a particular gripper for well over a month I could see myself either resting, rethinking my strategy, or a bit of both. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IzzyGrasp said:

Considering I started doing it as a total noob with my first set of cheap hand grippers, I was likely aiming for 100 total or something like that. And depending on the exercise I am familiar with rep counts of 6 or 12 per set. 

The continual high volume might keep me from excelling on the high end frequently, but if I ever take a short break I can usually see some good results. I am curious to see where my wall will be with this training method though. 

I dont train grippers and havent since i started grip. Back then I had no idea what I was doing.

I am actually surprised how well I respond to sets of 3-5  of 1-3,  reps for my rolling handle, pinch, and levering..  Not exactly sure what the percentage near my max is. But if i had to guess 70-80%.  I went from only closing a #1 on a good day to being under a 1/4" of closing my COC #2 with no gripper training.  Even with holds 7 seconds go down its to challenging , if you can get 10 seconds  move up in weight.  When i do start training grippers i'll use the same approach. 

Keep doing what your doing if its working. There's no reason to stop. But lower volume might yield higher results.  After all we are training for strength gains. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, IzzyGrasp said:

Thanks. If it works keep it going, like the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't try too fix it" keep doing it until you hit that wall.

• Like 2