How useful are Silver bullet hold's for gaining closing strength?

mcalpine1986

To anyone who trains Silver bullet hold's, do you think they are worth training? 

Do they have carryover to the end range of closing of a gripper? Maybe strap hold's will be better for that. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

No, it does not have any carryover to building up the strength at the end range. It can help to get you stronger at closing grippers because it trains your setting and you will get stronger in the sweep part of the close (same place as you hold the "bullet"). But you need to train it correctly and not cheat with the set if you want those benefits. Doing a silver bullet hold is not necessarily the same thing as trying to close a gripper. You can set it differently just so you can get a SB-hold. Not necessarily setting it the proper way you would do if you were trying to close a gripper.

For the end range, I think filed grippers are the best to train with. I think it's the most effective way of improving strength there.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

No, it does not have any carryover to building up the strength at the end range. It can help to get you stronger at closing grippers because it trains your setting and you will get stronger in the sweep part of the close (same place as you hold the "bullet"). But you need to train it correctly and not cheat with the set if you want those benefits. Doing a silver bullet hold is not necessarily the same thing as trying to close a gripper. You can set it differently just so you can get a SB-hold. Not necessarily setting it the proper way you would do if you were trying to close a gripper.

For the end range, I think filed grippers are the best to train with. I think it's the most effective way of improving strength there.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. 

I do enjoy Training them as it's fun to try and beat your time. I don't know if it's worth training them at all though when I could be spending my time and energy on other gripper work.

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. 

I do enjoy Training them as it's fun to try and beat your time. I don't know if it's worth training them at all though when I could be spending my time and energy on other gripper work.

If you think it's fun then it's worth it. I only do them for fun as well. Sometimes they are not that fun at the end 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm only training it because it is an event at the North American Championships, otherwise I'd never do it.  I don't cheat the set with my legs, so it will help me as I progress to setting and closing larger grippers down the road.  I did two sets of ten second holds with my 182 3.5 after my workout last week.  Trying my 191 Tungsten after my next workout in a couple of days.  I think cheating the set opens one up to a higher risk of injury, like doing heavy negatives.  My philosophy is not to mess with a gripper I can't set with my hands.  After the competition, I will likely never train it again because I will be strong enough to set a #4 to secure the bullet with my hands, and that is the pinnacle of performance for the event in competition.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you think it's fun then it's worth it. I only do them for fun as well. Sometimes they are not that fun at the end 🤣

Agree they can start to hurt after a while 🤣

Personally I think training should always be fun first most, I think most Gripsters are quite sadistic when it comes to training and like things that are difficult in a weird sort of way. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I think most Gripsters are quite sadistic when it comes to training and like things that are difficult in a weird sort of way. 

It was 5:30am in the morning i was laying on my back having the time of my life trying to snap a nail when i realized that nothing about this is normal.🤣

The only time i see people training for this usually is for comps.. But if it makes a great addition to your training and you enjoy it. Keep doing it. You wont get weaker.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I'm only training it because it is an event at the North American Championships, otherwise I'd never do it. 

41 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The only time i see people training for this usually is for comps.. But if it makes a great addition to your training and you enjoy it. Keep doing it. You wont get weaker.

I have to train it for Maryland's Strongest Hands in April, otherwise I'd never do it either.

But somebody out there must like them or they wouldn't keep coming up in contests.  🤔

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

I think its fun and brutal, especially at high RGC.  It just isn't an efficient way to build strength, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

It was 5:30am in the morning i was laying on my back having the time of my life trying to snap a nail when i realized that nothing about this is normal.🤣

I hear you man, like I train in an inpendant but mainstream gym. I get weird looks off people when I'm training grip all the time 🤣

Agreed they can't hurt at all.

19 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I think its fun and brutal, especially at high RGC.  It just isn't an efficient way to build strength, in my opinion.

I can imagine at your very high strength level they will be in particular brutal but yet it's probably best spending your energy in others ways. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1