Battle For Grip Supremacy 2

Rick Walker

They can be sent via snail mail or attached to an email.

request one at: raw222@adelphia.net

If attached-print it off and send required fee to:

Rick Walker

53 Bowers Lane

Punxsutawney, PA 15767

Remember-contest is limited to 30 men and 10 women.

Thanks fellas-I look foward to it!

Rick Walker :rock

• 1 month later...

Well I won't be there but I'm looking forward to the great performances that are sure to be displayed.

Jim-

Pittsburgh PA is the closest. That is where the Vigeants fly into.

that is correct.

Not sure where that comment came from...but-you know I like to have at least one strength event in my contests. Last year was the farmers for time, this year the one handed deadlift.

How this compares to the bench press is beyond me. If my weak hands can pull 275-I suspect you and Money Paws will hammer some big weights.

Yeah our HANDS will but our BACKS i don't know? I thought this was a battle

for GRIP supremacy. Not how much you weigh and yes weight DOES have something to do with it. I know how good Tommy H did at last years timed hold but then again his HANDS aren't that good "4" holding.

Ironically, Tommy placed in the top 3 even though I whipped his time in the farmers hold.....

Its one event out of 6 Rob. I think you guys will do alright. How is it any different from David Horne's V-bar lift?

Rick the V-bar lift lets you support the weight with your free hand on your thigh.

Tommys hold last year was what 5 seconds. I think it was less than Tommy Wilkins?

I meant top 3 over all, even though he did poorly in one event.

Little Jonathan McMillan held on for a long time though-and he isnt a big lifter.

I will think it over and get back to you-

Rick its your contest. If thats what you wanna do fine. I just thought

there less chance of injury lifting 400 with one hand braced. :tongue

Holy schnikeys... I went downstairs to give the lift a try, and I failed miserably at considerably less than 1/2 of my max dead. Now I'll admit I'm no grip master or anything, but I think that someone would have to be pretty darn weak for their back/leg strength to be the limiting factor on this lift. My two cents.

A one hand deadlift with a revolving standard bar, even without bracing with the other hand, will not tax your back anywhere near the way the one hand lift with David Horne's non-rotating one inch handle does. In the latter case you will have to be able to pull at least 300 kg (660lbs) off the floor with one hand if you plan to compete successfully against David Horne. You guys better start working your back and, above all, traps if you plan to make a serious challenge at the best gripsters in Europe. I fully agree with Rick. What point is it having a strong grip if you cannot apply it to heavy objects? Many gripsters on this board would be able to defeat guys like David Horne in"soft" events like pinching and grippers, but most of us would be totally, and I do mean totally, outclassed in the brutal one hand lift.

I know how good Tommy H did at last years timed hold but then again his HANDS aren't that good "4" holding.

Actually, you can have a strong crush and pinch and at the same time have a mediocre grip for holding horizontal bars. I do, and I don't have a weak back. A good allrounder can do it all.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I think it's kind of cool to have 1 strength&grip event. You still have 8 months until the contest, i'm sure you could up your deadlift in that time if you felt low back strength was going to be holding you down.