Seeking advice on training methods for the IronMind Hub

MRGRIGSBY1055

Greetings all,

I am new to grip training, and I am seeking advice on how I should train for the IronMind Hub. My ultimate goal is to complete the Crushed to Dust Certification. I am currently following Edgin Clay's Program Rolling Thunder Program, as such I am seeking any advice and/or recommended training method to be successful with the hub. Thank you all.

• Like 1

My brother gave me an IronMind Hub for my birthday in 1999, along with Brookfield’s “Mastery of Hand Strength” book. That was five years before I had ever met a Grip Guy, and more than five years before I joined the Gripboard. Brookfield made no mention of the Hub, and that being said, about the only place over the next five years that I saw ANYTHING on it was Wade Gillingham’s website around 2002 where he said he had the unofficial World Record on the Hub with 70 pounds. Despite what Dr. Strossen said at the time, there really was not much interest in it. When I saw Gillingham’s number, at the time I could do 65 lbs. for two reps, excluding the weight of the IM small pin and clip.

I was 100% self-trained, never read, spoke, or listened to anyone about it, zip.

For a beginner, I say START SLOW. Why? Most of us are very determined, and we are going to try, and pinch those fingers as hard as we can. Personally, I don’t think the lower part of our index, middle, and ring fingers were made to handle the stress of the pressure the mind is willing to subject them to. More than once, I have blown out “something” on the lower part of my middle finger. It takes months to recover.

I say start with wimpy weights for reps (6-8), for several sets, then add 5-7 1/2 lbs. tor a set. Twice a week. You need to condition those fingers for the later stress…Up it as you go, in two months your hub number max may be 50-60% more than a starting weight of 35ish lbs.

Chalk on your fingers and hands is your friend. I was never much of a hub Chalker, which is probably why I never hit 80 lbs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

My brother gave me an IronMind Hub for my birthday in 1999, along with Brookfield’s “Mastery of Hand Strength” book. That was five years before I had ever met a Grip Guy, and more than five years before I joined the Gripboard. Brookfield made no mention of the Hub, and that being said, about the only place over the next five years that I saw ANYTHING on it was Wade Gillingham’s website around 2002 where he said he had the unofficial World Record on the Hub with 70 pounds. Despite what Dr. Strossen said at the time, there really was not much interest in it. When I saw Gillingham’s number, at the time I could do 65 lbs. for two reps, excluding the weight of the IM small pin and clip.

I was 100% self-trained, never read, spoke, or listened to anyone about it, zip.

For a beginner, I say START SLOW. Why? Most of us are very determined, and we are going to try, and pinch those fingers as hard as we can. Personally, I don’t think the lower part of our index, middle, and ring fingers were made to handle the stress of the pressure the mind is willing to subject them to. More than once, I have blown out “something” on the lower part of my middle finger. It takes months to recover.

I say start with wimpy weights for reps (6-8), for several sets, then add 5-7 1/2 lbs. tor a set. Twice a week. You need to condition those fingers for the later stress…Up it as you go, in two months your hub number max may be 50-60% more than a starting weight of 35ish lbs.

Chalk on your fingers and hands is your friend. I was never much of a hub Chalker, which is probably why I never hit 80 lbs.

Thank you sir for your input

Here's some technique advice :) 

Easy weight lots of reps, say 10x10 everyday on no weight for 2 weeks and then keep the volume but increase the weights and lower the reps :) 

• Like 5

On 11/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, Lennix said:

Here's some technique advice :) 

Easy weight lots of reps, say 10x10 everyday on no weight for 2 weeks and then keep the volume but increase the weights and lower the reps :) 

86r5iw.jpg

• Haha 2