Eric Milfeld, 240k, Cert

Bill Piche

Thanks a bunch guys!

That was only the second time I bent a 240, so I was very pleased with how "quickly" it went. I'm stubborn and thick headed enough to stay with some bends for five minutes or more.

My only regret is not filming the bend from the side, which may have allowed the viewer to check more clearly for any possible leg contact.

The whole certification process was a bunch of good old fashioned painful fun!

well done Eric :). On to the 247.5 now then?

Thanks Jim, and Wanna.

I can cut down my 205s to get approximately a 247.5, but I'll probably wait until I can do the 260 before I certify again. I also want to get a grade 8, which I've never tried. And then on to the red.

Awesome bend :rock But doesnt rule #3 say you cant go below waist level?To me It looks like yer going below yer waist in the video.

Thanks Tommy, and Austin! To paraphrase, the rule states that every effort must be made to stay above waist level, but that since with more difficult bends going below the waist is the tendency for some, absolutely no leg contact is permissible.

David Horne has already covered this subject with me, and informed me the rule will be changed, probably today. I guess this is to prevent any bracing or incidental leg contact that may go unnoticed. FYI: I've never even grazed my leg during training bends, but agree with David and Pat about the need for a rule change. I'll just need to modify my technique, that's all.

Edited by EricMilfeld

At the risk of belaboring the subject, keep in mind that even with above the waist bends, incidental contact and bracing are possible. This could be very difficult to catch on video, hence the fact that the credible, watchful witness is the all important ingredient in certification.