Searching the GripBoard

Cannon

This is kind of a PSA for newcomers and long-timers alike. 

Hello Grip Nerds! The GripBoard's search feature is kind of rough. Often, search results are too broad to be helpful. Like if you search for "rolling thunder" the board returns 2400+ results. Then it suggests "try searching for rolling AND thunder" assuming that will limit search results to instances which included both words. Nope... you get 44,000+ results because it also searches for the word AND. Then you get a comical recommendation to "try searching for rolling AND AND AND thunder." Oh brother. :pinch

I have found that clicking those recommendations produces some results and will further focus your current search. You cannot type those commands directly into the search from the start. In general, I have found the best use of the GripBoard's search feature is to find content posted by a certain member. You can either go to their profile and pull up all their content, or utilize Search by Author in your general search. 

Otherwise, I have found that you can get excellent results using Google's functionality to search a single website. Just type site:gripboard.com before any search in the Google search bar. Then you also have at your disposal the power of all Google's sorting and filtering functionality. 

Newcomers: This is a great way to find old topics and get up to speed.

Long-timers: Especially if you can remember participants or key words, this is an INCREDIBLY powerful recall tool to provide helpful links. 

Everyone: Enjoy the GripBoard!  :flowers:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Just an additional note, because this is probably what you wanted to achieve with the AND keyword: if you search literally using quotation marks, you will get only the posts that contain exactly that phrase (in that word order). For example,  ["rolling thunder"] gives around 1200 results. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, matek said:

Just an additional note, because this is probably what you wanted to achieve with the AND keyword: if you search literally using quotation marks, you will get only the posts that contain exactly that phrase (in that word order). For example,  ["rolling thunder"] gives around 1200 results. 

"I second this..."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's pretty much useless

15 hours ago, climber511 said:

It's pretty much useless

Unfortunately I agree. Google works like a charm though :sorcerer:

• Like 1