Gripper History - Why were some Tettings stamped "Thor" way before 2013?

Alex K

I just noticed something interesting - the first mentions of the "Thor" stamp appeared around 2006 on the GripBoard, and I had a few grippers that also had those "vintage" Thor stamps with the lightning in various forms. But since the Thor Strength Equipment website was only established around 2013, this got me thinking - what was the reason behing the Thor stamp with the lightning? 🤔

photo1699461180.thumb.jpeg.f87f93c5cead366c1eba3e7d5b238293.jpegphoto1699461180(1).thumb.jpeg.29fd1a51ba550bdfd75a87a3c8eb1e54.jpeg

• Like 7

I appreciate you posting a picture of this! I have seen that lightning stamp on ONE SINGLE GRIPPER. It was an Elite which had been made adjustable by @acorn. (Not the choker modification, but adjustable as in he knocked out the pins and then tapped the holes to accept tiny set screws which allowed the handles to be mounted at any depth). 

This GE in your picture is only the second one I have ever seen. Would love to know more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's wild...  Lightning literally struck twice.

No such luck in my collection.  Three for three are lightning-free.

Thor Grippers.jpg

• Like 4

The SG is the “Super Galaxy” which was later called just “Galaxy” and has an 11mm spring :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alex K said:

The SG is the “Super Galaxy” which was later called just “Galaxy” and has an 11mm spring :) 

That is wild. I've never seen that and it's crazy how similar that is to the Standard Gripper stamp. I guess we're accidentally paying homage to Warren's legacy in more ways than one. :) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

I appreciate you posting a picture of this! I have seen that lightning stamp on ONE SINGLE GRIPPER. It was an Elite which had been made adjustable by @acorn. (Not the choker modification, but adjustable as in he knocked out the pins and then tapped the holes to accept tiny set screws which allowed the handles to be mounted at any depth). 

This GE in your picture is only the second one I have ever seen. Would love to know more. 

I have a 164 Rated gripper with the Thor handle also. 

2 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I have a 164 Rated gripper with the Thor handle also. 

With the lightning bolt? 

Probably one of a kind SE with steel rods glued into handles, 191 rgc.

IMG_5279.jpegIMG_5280.thumb.jpeg.a3dce84f30c71c15d57f1fd11b12db9a.jpeg

The design is very human, easy to use (c)

I was not the one who did it to the poor gripper 🙂

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

I was not the one who did it to the poor gripper 🙂

Just wanted to say that this used to be an amazing vintage SE 😄🫠 

But that's very interesting, probably a great assist in setting grippers without having the second handle like on extends where you can't set grippers the regular way!

• Like 1

Just now, Alex K said:

But that's very interesting, probably a great assist in setting grippers without having the second handle like on extends where you can't set grippers the regular way!

You’re right. Setting that gripper is similar to closing CoC Sport with thin handles.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Thor stamps, a friend sent me this picture - a business card from Warren from Thor Strength Equipment.

Writing looks like an older logo. One theory that I have is that Thor Strength Equipment existed before the site was launched in 2013 - is there any evidence to back it up? This business card also doesn't seem to have any website link too. 🤔

image.thumb.png.81fae3671655695bb254e3f919b0ffb6.png

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 4

Right away some evidence to back this up, this is an extract from David Horne's site:

image.png.19c627f5f6bb7eb85830f9240ffcf2fe.png

It can be seen, that the second gripper is, for some reason, referred to as a "Thor strength equipment" product.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Evidence of the name in 2005 from this very site

This is an amazing finding! This also puts in an argument for the NutritionGeeks debate from earlier - apparently Warren first reached out to them back then with his Thor Strength Equipment powered lineup, and later switched to the T-Series in 2007!

Here's a snapshot of the site from 2005:

image.thumb.png.0fba7727d2159449e09941715fd4fb8b.png

Apparently, the brand existed long before the site came to be in 2013!

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 3