Legit or just for show?

AdriaanRobert96

So I’ve been scrambling through my thoughts and my usual research for physical improvements and came across this: 

IMG_2936.jpeg.96b685d7580500223477b4b4aa29eca8.jpeg

So I am sure a lot of you’ve seen this before, it’s an isometric thumb hold.

Now my question is wether this is something that could yield massive thumb/ hand and wrist strength or is it just for show?

For reference I tried this on a wall and leaning towards a doorways edge and it sure is difficult..

Any thoughts?

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 1

There are way more safer, practical and faster ways to build thumb and wrist strength.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

There are way more safer, practical and faster ways to build thumb and wrist strength.

Yeah well that’s definitely facts but I was wondering about this exercise specifically😅

Looks like a good way to get hurt, definitely an ego move/lift

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Looks like a good way to get hurt, definitely an ego move/lift

Definitely dangerous, especially if heavier I’d say😅

17 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yeah well that’s definitely facts but I was wondering about this exercise specifically😅

No I don’t think it’s beneficial at all for strong thumbs or wrist. 

• Thanks 1

All tendon conditioning.

Def impressive, as someone that tried to do single finger feats for a while, it's a lot of pain for not a lot of gains.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Apneaa said:

All tendon conditioning.

Def impressive, as someone that tried to do single finger feats for a while, it's a lot of pain for not a lot of gains.

I respect anyone that has the discipline to train and build to this. But exactly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apneaa said:

All tendon conditioning.

Appreciate it!

It's something that most couldn't and shouldn't try to do. It's extremely stressful on the thumb joints and connective tissues. 

Bruce Lee in the last year if his life when this pic was taken weighed only about 125lb/56kg. Not many adult males are as light as that. Being very light in BW would make this more achievable.

He was massively into grip and forearm training doing all sorts of fingertips pushup variations and holds for years. It would have taken him a long time to get to this level. That said It's more of a party trick than anything that others shouldn't try and replicate.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It's something that most couldn't and shouldn't try to do. It's extremely stressful on the thumb joints and connective tissues. 

Bruce Lee in the last year if his life when this pic was taken weighed only about 125lb/56kg. Not many adult males are as light as that. Being very light in BW would make this more achievable.

He was massively into grip and forearm training doing all sorts of fingertips pushup variations and holds for years. It would have taken him a long time to get to this level. That said It's more of a party trick than anything that others shouldn't try and replicate.

Yup, dude was a beast. Lotta respect for Bruce Lee. 

But the amount of time it would take a heavier individual to do it. You could put that time into many other endeavors. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup, dude was a beast. Lotta respect for Bruce Lee. 

But the amount of time it would take a heavier individual to do it. You could put that time into many other endeavors. 

Oh yeah, same here man.

Agreed, It just wouldn't be worse pursuing trying to replicate him doing this unless you want thumb injuries down the line.

If you like Bruce lee, I really recommend his book "The art of expressing the human body" it goes into detail about how  he trained and how he ate, he was obsessed with training.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2