Old Beefbuilders Vs. New Beefbuilders

f1perez

I was reading some old post from 2001 and I kept reading how the bbmaster was rated somewhere from 2.5 to 2.8 by the coc standards. Now from the new posts I have been reading that the new bbsm is slightly harder than a filed coc#2, and just a notch harder than an rb210, and slightly easier than a pda 280. Does anyone own the old bbmaster and the new bbsm? If so, how do they compare to each other? Does tetting still sell the old beefbuilders that were available in six strengths beginner(100 pounds), advanced(140 pounds), master(195 pounds), elite(280 pounds), super elite(280 pounds), and world class(425 pounds). If he doesn't sell them anymore, does anyone know where I may be able to find them?

I will try to answer your question, as best as I can. I bought the original 6 from WLW, just to have something different to work with (I have the 5 from IM also). The WC I have was rated at 425 lbs. (everybody on the board KNOWS that these ratings do not mean much). I purchased these in the fall of 2002 , I felt that these grippers were where WLW said they should be, meaning my BBM felt close to a #2 for example. When the other five came out , I was happy (and pissed, because I didnt want to have to buy 11 grippers) so I bought them last Sept. Now I have measured them all with a micrometer , and they are all dead on, according to the wire size post in the FAQ section by Jeff P. (who I believe knows Warren T. personally). My point here is to THROW OUT THE POUNDAGE RATINGS, they mean nothing, I think a lot of the guys on this board will agree, wire size is a true indicator (there are other factors of course i.e. spring depth , width ect.). The "new" grippers really just filled in more gaps for us grip freaks, all of mine seem to be a step up from the previous one (Super Advanced is harder than Advanced for example). I dont know if this helps, but go to the FAQ section and type in wire size , there is a lot of useful info there. Good Luck with the training !Mike

Good post by Mike above. Also I think the old master was different then the new one. While looking at back posts the old master was stronger and is probably like todays supermaster but Im not sure. Warren changed the names and added some grippers but Im pretty sure the old master was different then todays. If you order one now it will be slightly easier then a 2 based on what a few have said. Good Luck and God Bless! Austin

Brain Carlton has an old Master that is between a 2 and a 3. I think it's a real nice gripper. Masters made a couple months ago were no where near the old master strength. However arren now builds his grippers with the handles 1/16 closer to the spring then he has been. So if you buy a master now it will be a little harder from now on but not clsoe to the old ones like Brian has.

Jeff, does that mean that the old master of two years ago is equivalent to the sm of today? Does tetting still sell some of his old grippers that he made in six strength levels? I know that now he has eleven strengths available, but I wanted to know if he still has some of the old grippers available. I am very interested in buying the old master and the new sm to see how they compare. Thank you.

The old master I tried was about the strength of the supermasters. Again it depends what SM you try. He does not have any of the old masters, I wish he did.

My old BBM also has fairly wide handles (3-3/16" to the edge of where the handles acually touch when closed).

BC.

Thanks everyone, I am going to have to settle with the new bbsm, since he isn't making the old bbm. It would've been nice to have both the old bbm along with the bbsm to have more in between grippers. I will also try to get both the pda 262 and pda 280, also the rb210 through 260. Thanks again.