First Go At The Challenge Bars

Mikael Siversson

After a month of bending weakish nails I had my first go at the challenge bars. Arne and I had a lot of fun. We were not quite as bad at it as we had feard. I bent the 140, 147.5, 170, 190 and the 200. After that my hands were so tired I could not even make a dent on the 212.5.

Mikael,

Well done. I didn't think you'd be crap at them. Did Arne ref you on your 200k bar? If so, tell me the details.

David

Yes I did and Mikael bend it exactly after the rules. He use the technic you and Pat recommend.

Edited by Arne

Mikael, Congratulations on and excellent first time bend!

Well done!

Thats powerful Mikael and Arne ... well done! :cool

Like dave said, i really didnt think youd be that bad at bending Mikael!!

200k is VERY good mate but be warned Arne, its very addictive! over christmas ive bent 20 nails this week! :blush

i need some more from dave and my hands are like pieces of raw meat :cry but its a fantastic eliment of the sport and i love it!

you'll find you will increase your strength quickly and be bending 20 to 30k more than now in the next month to 6 weeks then progression will be a lot slower (if me and jim are anything to go by)

keep us updated!

Cunny

i belive the key is lots of sub max bending in the early stages.

bend 5 to 8 bars 2 or three times a week at no more than 80% max (in your case bars from 120 to 140k) then do 1 or 2 max bends (say 150k then work up)

then once you have the technique sorted and tendons strengthened, you'll see a great improement.

donet give up mate, just think volume and enjoy :)

Excellent Mikael and Arne! very strong first bends!!

can't wait to try the challenge bars myself.

I agree Scott, I also do lots of easy bends (5days last week), but only very little hard bending (generally once a week or less)

david

Thank You all. I think it will be some problem for me to do a new try with the 212,5 kg this week because I'll have a new big tattoo on my left upperarm tomorrow. How long is recommended to wait with heavy arm and grip training after a tattoo? Last year I was waiting for nearly 10 days.

Edited by Arne

I dunno, they just always told me to keep it out of the sun, and to keep the A+D ointment on it.

"1. An hour and a half from now remove the gauze bandage! If it sticks to the tattoo use a little warm water, moisten the gauze and pull it off slowly.

2. Purchase a tube of 'A&D Ointment.' Apply a thin coat to the tattoo 3 to 5 times a day for the next 7 to 10 days. Do not use Neosporin, hand lotion, baby oil, creams or Vaseline! NOTE; Neosporin has been known to cause allergic reactions in a healing tattoo and petroleum jelly pulls the color from a tattoo.

3. Do not take a shower or bath today! Tomorrow when you shower or bathe, do not rub soap directly into your tattoo. When the tattoo gets wet pat it dry, do not rub it dry.

4. Do not use/soak in hot tubs, sit in steam rooms or swim in fresh, salt and chlorine water for 7 to 10 days.

5. Protect the tattoo from direct sunlight, sun lamps and tanning booths for 7 to 10 days. NOTE; The body perceives the new tattoo as a 2nd degree sunburn, if it is exposed to UV rays during the healing process you could receive a 3rd degree sun burn which may lead to skin cancer.

6. The new tattoo may form a light protective crust over the top of it, do not pick this layer, let it flake off on its own.

7. A healing tattoo may itch. Do not scratch it!

8. Do not wear tight clothing over your new tattoo while it is healing. NOTE; If you wear a bra and the tattoo is in a location where the bra may rub or press into it, either go without a bra during the healing process or keep it loose. Also, please do not wear panty hose for 7 to 10 days as the tattoo will bond with the nylon.

9. Of special note to those of you who spend a lot of time in the sun. Please wear a sun block over your tattoo to help preserve the color!

10. Infections are rare but in case you do not follow our care instructions and an infection occurs, pleaseconsult your physician immediately.

11. If you experience an allergic reaction to the ointment we recommend discontinued use of the ointment and call us immediately. Some natural alternatives for the healing of your tattoo are 'Bag Balm', pure aloe vera gel and 'Golden Salve'."

Thanks,

Had my second go at the challenge bars four days later (and this time in Australia). Got the 190 and then the 212.5 kg bar (new pr). Got the 225 to about 130 degrees.

Nice progress!

Indeed!

very good start on the nails Mikael.

does not look like a weak point as you predicted!

No it does not. This came as a surprise to me, since my very first attempts att weakish nails were anything but impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Very addictive stuff this bending. Set a new PR yesterday with 240k. Put a slight kink into a 247.5k. The 240k bend took around 20 sec. I tend to either bend bars fairly quickly or not at all it seems.

Most impressive Mikael! That is a fast bend!

It's great to see so many guys progressing so quickly with their bending.

Mikael,

Well done my friend!

It is very addictive, I now can bend everyday with no ill effects. I'm bending all sorts now, bars, bolts, 2 x 6" nails together. I'm doing a small show tonight, more of the same.

Bending will now go to new levels with Pat pushing the way, and a few of us following.

David