Inch Dumbbell Difference That Affect Difficulty

Jedd Johnson

I made this video because some lifters may not realize that Inch Dumbbells vary based on several factors. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Very interesting direct comparison between Inch Bells. I'd love to know what you think of the Holle Inch and the Strength Shop Inch as well.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Very interesting direct comparison between Inch Bells. I'd love to know what you think of the Holle Inch and the Strength Shop Inch as well.

Yes it is.. very interesting. 

I dont think the Strength shop circus dumbbell should even come into the equation though. It has a flat spot on the globes with impacts the rotation. Still nothing wrong with them, id even consider owning some. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes it is.. very interesting. 

I dont think the Strength shop circus dumbbell should even come into the equation though. It has a flat spot on the globes with impacts the rotation. Still nothing wrong with them, id even consider owning some. 

That's not even a problem. Just lift them with the round side on the thumb side.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's not even a problem. Just lift them with the round side on the thumb side.

They honestly don't count for the David Horne list, brother.  This is what Joe is pointing out, I think.  And he's saying he would still invest in them as a trainer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

The handles are also much longer, and oval/oblong shaped.  Great training tool, but not an inch replica.

My SSCB handle video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb9l8xDhgqA

• Like 3

When I get to the point of feeling ready for an Inch Replica, I like the idea (assuming he's still doing it - this video is from 2021) of ordering one through @Jedd Johnson, picking it up at his gym, and combining it with a training consultation.  Seems like a lot of wins there for knowing I'm on a good path.

• Like 4

Inch Relicas. I believe that the first series of them began to be sold in late 1999 by two sources: IronMind and Sorinex. Both of these were manufactured by Staver Foundry.

IronMind’s 1999-2000 catalogue did NOT have Inch Dumbbell Replicas for sale. I believe there was a supplement to the catalogue  selling them after that. My brother purchased an IronMind Staver-produced Replica in March of 2000. 

Staver closed in 2006, bankruptcy. The last IronMind catalogue to feature the Replica was their 2007 catalogue, probably published in 2006.

Mark Henry’s June 2002 Clean and Jerk at the AOBS banquet was on a Staver-produced Replica provided personally by Richard Sorin.

I am 99% certain that the only Replicas provided by IronMind were from the first place to be producing Replicas on anything other than a very limited or one shot basis. So Jedd’s research and results make complete sense to me. I don’t know where Sorinex was getting its Replicas after Staver shut down.

One of the reasons for this post is to say in advance that Mark Henry’s AOBS Inch feat was the STAVER Dumbbell, the same as IronMind’s only venture in the Inch Replica business. Just in case someone claims “their’ Inch  Clean is more impressive than Mark Henry’s: I don’t think so.

And maybe this thread has now caused all “IronMind” Replicas to be the most valuable of the bunch…😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Douglas Carney said:

When I get to the point of feeling ready for an Inch Replica, I like the idea (assuming he's still doing it - this video is from 2021) of ordering one through @Jedd Johnson, picking it up at his gym, and combining it with a training consultation.  Seems like a lot of wins there for knowing I'm on a good path.

Dont even think about it, just go for it. Jedd has been my coach for a while now, ive learned so much.. Not only that but i had a chance to train with him for just one hour a couple months back and I learned so much regarding technique. The more refined your technique is the quicker the gains will come. And theres no one better to learn from.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Dont even think about it, just go for it. Jedd has been my coach for a while now, ive learned so much.. Not only that but i had a chance to train with him for just one hour a couple months back and I learned so much regarding technique. The more refined your technique is the quicker the gains will come. And theres no one better to learn from.

Yeah... that's exactly what I'd be looking for and why I'd consider picking up in PA vs shipping to my house in MD.  Appreciate the feedback, Joe!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Take note, they're produced in Rhode Island, so it will have to be shipped here to pick it up, but I'm fine with that. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I am 99% certain that the only Replicas provided by IronMind were from the first place to be producing Replicas on anything other than a very limited or one shot basis. So Jedd’s research and results make complete sense to me. I don’t know where Sorinex was getting its Replicas after Staver shut down.

One of the reasons for this post is to say in advance that Mark Henry’s AOBS Inch feat was the STAVER Dumbbell, the same as IronMind’s only venture in the Inch Replica business. Just in case someone claims “their’ Inch  Clean is more impressive than Mark Henry’s: I don’t think so.

After listening more closely to Jedd’s video, I am beginning to think that like grippers, “Replicas vary”, even when the manufacturers are the same. Both Sorinex and IronMind’s replicas, in the early 2000’s, were the same: Staver. Jedd mentioned that he purchased his Sorinex bell around 2004, and I presume Sorinex was still using Staver. IronMind always used Staver, yet the dumbbells felt very different. There was a lengthy discussion on the IronMind forum 2011 or 2012 where both Strossen and Sorin were explaining that it took a while for Staver to get the bugs out, with some early replicas weighing less than 170 pounds. 
On this subject, I suppose  we are all CPAs, which in this case means “Can’t Prove Anything”🙁.