Thomas Inch Dumbbell Clean and Press

Ben Helms

Been told to share this as a main thread instead of on my training log. My first press attempt was 6 months ago and was nowhere close to a lockout. Now that I’ve finally achieved it, I can reflect and only improve more! It’s been a tough 6 months but it paid off!

• Like 28

World class and lightest to do it! Well done Ben!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, stranger said:

This

So incredible.  The amount of hard work and discipline this takes is unbelievable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stranger said:

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This

So incredible.  The amount of hard work and discipline this takes is unbelievable. 

I can't even wrap my head around the strength, coordination, and training; as well as discipline, drive, and determination; required to accomplish this momentous achievement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Ben Helms agreed to answer questions about this monumental feat! 

I'll kick it off by saying I heard through the grapevine that you're going to train for a snatch next. How the heck do you plan to navigate those uncharted waters? 

• Like 4

@Cannon the same way i trained for my inch clean! Using lighter inch bells and recording my attempts. Ill break down my weak points and focus on strengthening those. So far, I am able to partially snatch my 70kg bell well over my head but cannot lock out my elbow. Ill be critiquing my postures, working on my back and shoulder mobility, and strengthening my triceps and shoulders. I like to use body building exercises to target my weak spots. For my lockout issues I had with the press portion of the inch clean and press, I used bodybuilding workouts to target my triceps and wrist because those were my weak spots for strength, while also focusing on my jerk form by getting underneath the bell better and getting my hips more flexible to dip underneath better. 

• Like 10

No questions from me. I am just glad @Ben Helms is getting some of the recognition he deserves for this incredible feat of strength.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @Ben Helms on this incredible feat!
I know it requires a completely different technique, etc., but have you ever thought about a double inch clean and press? Maybe not with the 172lb bell, but still. 

• Like 2

@matek if i had a second 70kg bell id totally go for that! I have two 45kg bells that I can double clean and press but i plan on doing a double snatch with them very soon.

• Like 3

That was fun to watch!  I watched a bunch of your near successes in person, one after the other after a comp, and it is cool to see the product of your continued efforts.  Nicely done, congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing feat, watching your progress I knew it was coming but didn't think we'd see it this soon, nice work

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lifesnotfair said:

Wearing crocs too!!! Awesome display of strength!!!

Croc power

rock out with your croc out. That’s what I say

• Haha 2

Way cool lift .(croc power)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very well done congratulations! Laine Snook who is by far one of the best grippers ever said something to the extent of "anyone who can clean and press the Inch is definitely one of the very very strong men to walk this earth". I agree with him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing feat of strength!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thats amazing feat ! 

Does anyone have a complete list of all people who have succesfully cleaned and pressed inch ?

• Like 1

Amazing feat brother!! You are clearly a very rare specimen to be able to pull something like that off!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1