Filed Joe Kinney Secret weapon as a "filed gripper substitute" for over crush training

William Scherr

Hey grip folk, I've been stuck at a ghp 7 for a few years. I do lots of volume work, negatives, static holds, heavy compound lifts, rolling handle, pinch work, thumb pad work, telegraph key etc... but can't close the 8.  Only thing I haven't done yet are filed down grippers and the J.K. secret Weapon. I have recently built and incorporated a J. Kinney secret weapon into my training to add a new stimulus. It's got a filed down top handle to replicate a filed down gripper. I really treasure my lighter grippers and don't want to file them down unless it's absolutely necessary. can my filed down secret weapon suffice over filed gripper training? Much Thanks for any input. God bless.

P1000312_000.jpg

P1000313_000.jpg

• Like 6

Reduce the the volume, up the intensity, and stop the thickbar/rolling handles with your gripper hand.  I bet you'll see rapid improvement towards closing the 8.

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I can't comment on the secret weapon (although I'm sure I'd be pretty good at injuring myself with it by putting on way more weight than I can handle 😅)

I might be wrong, but based on how you described your gripper training, sounds like you don't have (enough) grippers to bridge the gap between a #7 and a #8. Of course, it depends on the particular grippers, but the difference between them can be like ~40 RGC. I would get those grippers rated and buy a Standard Cobalt pre-rated around the RGC you need. Also I would buy a Bumper to have even more control over the difficulty. 

• Like 4

both dubya and matek are right in their comments, lowering volume can aid in recovery and reducing the jump between grippers can aid in smoother progression (also check out The Bumper by Cannonpowerworks)

also, have you tried bulking? weight moves weight 😛