Husky Handle Dumbbells

gerryg

No and my post was not of any help! You could get handles far cheaper from FatBastard barbells or the like. The Olympic Husky handles are $210 a pair. For that amount you could get several diferent sizes elsewhere. Remember the Huskies are made from tubing as are the cheaper variety.

I think a good idea would be to get in touch with a welder and get them to make you a pair up out of 2" thick bar - would work out much cheaper that way

• 2 weeks later...

gerry how you doing bro?? i have those exact db's. the 2 1/2" standard husky handels. there great and worth the cash. for over a year i used just 1 because i could only aford 1. i used it for everything. i even made it into a sludge. i used small hose clamps to hold the weight on the end and then moved the handle down to the opposite side. they are very durable and the knurling is great. i just bought the fatbastard 3" db's. i should get them next weak. theres nothing like thick bar training.

gerry a question for you or any one else who may answer it. when you are training on thick bars does the weight feel heavier to you????? it may just be me but the weight feels like it is heavier when i'm using thick db's or bars. does that make any sense?????? i have been wondering about this for a while. thanks :D

The wieght seem a lot heavier on a thick handle. I have a Turk from PDA. It's 3" handle and makes the weight feel real heavy.

-HH

using a 2.5 db for assistant work is very helpful. But IM's price is too much, maybe try to get them cheaper or build your own.

Take a piece of 1" round stock steel 20" or so long, buy 2 washers with a 1" hole, this should have a 2.5" OD, buy a piece of 2.5" OD steel tubeing as long as you want your handle to be (or go with 2 3/8" pipe) - weld the wahers on the ends of the steel tube, weld that onto the 1" bar - voila - a perfect 2.5" or 2 3/8" fat handle dumbbell for somewhere around $6 or $7 that will hold more weight than you want to lift and looks professional if you take the time to grind it down nice and put on a nice coat of paint. You can also make one for 2" hole Olympic plates the same way but you have to fabricate the washers to fit. Add a set of tight collars and you're ready to go. An "Inch" replica. Even paying a welder to do it will save you a pile of money.

PS If you want the handle to turn, just don't weld it to the bar and leave the collars loose.