*Resolved* Feedback needed | International customers

Cannon

Just an update with the exchange rate at the lowest $29.13 = £24.00 (standard gripper cost) today $29.38 = £24.00 so a swing of 25 cents so for every 4 grippers someone is getting an extra dollar.

Edited by Busa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 12:45 PM, Busa said:

Just an update with the exchange rate at the lowest $29.13 = £24.00 (standard gripper cost) today $29.38 = £24.00 so a swing of 25 cents so for every 4 grippers someone is getting an extra dollar.

I figured this out. There is a setting to have it round or not. The rounding was in the merchant's favor but only in certain brackets and was different based on the currency. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't think we can continue with this change because of Paypal. Letting customers shop in their local currency works great if they also pay with their foreign bank account or credit card. If they pay with Paypal, then it all falls apart. Everyone loses.  

I'm still working on this. I would like for people to be able to shop in their local currency but Paypal does not play nice in this scenario.  

• Like 2

Hopefully it can continue, personally i don't use PayPal for anything so hopefully you can keep to shopping in local currency 🤞

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal but it would be nice. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Hopefully it can continue, personally i don't use PayPal for anything so hopefully you can keep to shopping in local currency 🤞

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal but it would be nice. 

I hear you. I am currently seeing what is possible on the PayPal side. I am hoping the solution will be that all customers can shop in their local currency, but in the specific case that they want to pay with Paypal you would have to have a USD balance in your paypal account. Otherwise, if you wanted to pay directly in your own currency, you just cannot choose Paypal and can pay normally with any other card or account you like. 

The crazy thing is that we have no way to interface with this. Like I cannot mock up international transactions to see what my customers are seeing. That's why I've been so grateful for the feedback here in trying to figure this out. :flowers:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cannon said:

I hear you. I am currently seeing what is possible on the PayPal side. I am hoping the solution will be that all customers can shop in their local currency, but in the specific case that they want to pay with Paypal you would have to have a USD balance in your paypal account. Otherwise, if you wanted to pay directly in your own currency, you just cannot choose Paypal and can pay normally with any other card or account you like. 

The crazy thing is that we have no way to interface with this. Like I cannot mock up international transactions to see what my customers are seeing. That's why I've been so grateful for the feedback here in trying to figure this out. :flowers:

Let's see what happens and hopefully it can continue as it's so much better now as this time around I knew exactly what it was costing for the grippers and shipping etc.

Ethier way keep us all updated in this thread please 👍

Edited by mcalpine1986

First before the wall of text. I do really appreciate you trying to offer your customers the best deal you can.

I have for years purchased items from the USA and can in my head workout if an item is worth buying or not.

The sweet spot for shipping to the UK I have worked out as 4 grippers getting the best value postage per gripper with customs not interested so long as they are not high value and going over the £135.

I know that any gripper I'm after will be priced in US$ so can straight away know if its a price I want to pay or not. For me its harder, as I then have to look at how much in $ the price is, this is more for pre rated grippers / rare secondhand grippers. For a casual or new purchaser of grippers from overseas I guess it would be easier. The exchange rate is what it is as is. The shipping, well its something neither of us can change.

As for the rounding of the cost, on 4 standard grippers when applied it comes out I'm paying $4.28 more at today's exchange, ironmind $6.64 more, unsure if the postage was also rounded and do not know if with that rounding applied its cheaper or the same as paying in dollars and paying the exchange myself. (I did check before with the rounding applied and it appears to make no real difference $5 swing either way based on the current exchange rate but my evidence to this is at best vague)

The rounding is a double edged sword as I don't want to pay more for a gripper (unit cost) due to my location, neither do I want to subsidize others who purchase via paypal from overseas. I am however willing to pay extra per unit if the overall total cost is the same (you get a larger percent and not the banks) or preferably cheaper (we both get extra money) due to it being set in my local currency.

Sorry no real answer to the dilemma.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Busa said:

The rounding is a double edged sword as I don't want to pay more for a gripper (unit cost) due to my location, neither do I want to subsidize others who purchase via paypal from overseas.

We did fix both of these concerns. We now have it set to not round. I’m not totally sure what the point behind that was but I finally found the setting to fix that. I think it was supposed to be like “currency fluctuation protection” 

Then for paypal, it’s not currently possible for Intl customers to choose Paypal. That was the compromise at this point. Paypal is a little too greedy in these transactions. And it requires me to be something of an amateur foreign currency speculator. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Liking the change of currency now. Kind of like a mini stock exchange seeing how low things will go.

Just waiting on a restock did you mention some ratings changes for the Standards and of course the "special grippers"

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:56 PM, Cannon said:

The online store platform provider for Cannon PowerWorks has made a change to how international customers shop. By default, they want prices to appear in local currency for international customers. The benefits they highlight are that pricing will be more familiar to buyers and that overall currency conversion fees will be lower. I believe they build the conversion into the prices and can offer lower rates because they aggregate all the transactions and convert it all at once at the top of the house. 

We do not have a good perspective if our customers even want this change. So that is the question: International customers, would you prefer to be shopping in your own currency? Or, leave things like they were with all shopping in USD? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

I do not use their local currency and do the international invoicing manually because Ive found on larger packages and combining orders the pricing that shopify does through UPS/USPS is inaccurate and either the customer overpays or underpays by 20-25%. It is more work for me and the customer has to contact me about the pricing but I prefer it versus the incorrect pricing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the difference in sizes of your items it does make sense to do it per order. I purchased a large order from you last year and it went through perfectly.  With grippers it is kind of standardized with dimensions and weight so would think slightly easier.

9 minutes ago, Busa said:

With the difference in sizes of your items it does make sense to do it per order. I purchased a large order from you last year and it went through perfectly.  With grippers it is kind of standardized with dimensions and weight so would think slightly easier.

Was going to say this. We have spent considerable time and research custom tweaking shipping brackets in addition to the carrier-calculated rates to make sure the rates are as low as possible and also accurate. We are not trying to make money on shipping/handling and rates only just cover the label and packing materials. This would be 100% store specific, though. It’s an interesting task to balance, but for CPW it is an unrelated issue that is out of scope for the question of “Would international customers prefer to shop in their own currency?” And, in general, we got to the bottom of that one. 

• 2 months later...

This is how I got this:
1. Add item to cart
2. Go to check out
3. Go back to cart.

The weird thing is that sometimes I can reproduce this, sometimes I can't. Maybe just one of my extensions.
But I just wanted to let you know @Cannon, maybe others experienced this as well. Btw at check out, everything is displayed properly (in my case, JPY). 

(and I finally got a Nickel in the range I wanted yeee)

image_2024-02-09_122205854.png

• Like 1

What am I looking at here? :online I didn’t follow. 

13 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It's showing that for example a Nickel will be five thousand dollars. 

Edited by matek

16 minutes ago, Cannon said:

These would be both correct, but what I posted above the amount and currency symbol is mixed

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

Okay nevermind, I think I know what happened.
My browser blocks websites (if it can) from getting my location. So that's why originally it was showing in dollars. Then at the checkout, it changed to yen, because I gave it my address. Then I went back from here and that's what caused the phenomenon.

So not really an issue. Matt you can remove these posts if you want, because it's very isolated case, not caused by the website. 

Edited by matek

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently bought from you (I live in UK) and found the international check out really simple to understand. Couldn’t believe how quickly the shipment arrived (chocked CoC2), really impressive and will be ordering more.

• Thanks 1