Training suggestions

maidenfan

I’ve been fascinated with arm wrestling for many years now, and am really interested in trying it out for the first time now that I’m 53 😂. I’ve been a member here for a few years and always include “grip work” in my training.

What I’ve been doing that might help:

Hundreds of pegboard and 45 degree pull-ups per week for several years.  I’ve generally stayed about 290-300lbs and can’t do more that 7-8 real pull-ups at once, so I just do intervals of 2-5 reps with my BikeErg for 45 mins to 90 mins.  I’ve been averaging 200-500 pull-ups per week for a few years now

Lots of grip work included in those pull-ups with oversized pegs for the pegboard: regular pegs up to 3” and round ones

I also just started doing belt curls (not really sure what these are called) a few months ago.  The best curl exercise I’ve ever done. 

Any others I can include in my routine?  I don’t have a weight stack, but have a full set of bands, a loading pin, and a ton of “thick grip” pulling implements

Any good books or YouTube channels on “solid” basics for beginners?

Here’s some pics of what I look like and the equipment I have  

Thanks,

Morgan

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

94FB1EF4-2077-4E66-BF7E-B8D18045E53E.jpeg

Edited by maidenfan
  • Like 2

I'm pretty new to the sport, so I'm not the best person to answer, but Chris Drummond has some good beginner videos. Also, Devon Larratt's and Milo's Larratt's channels feature some recent training overviews - at least for the way they train. Otherwise, you can find examples and explanations for training styles by watching most armwrestlers' YouTube channels - Devon Larratt, Levan Saginashvili, Ermes Gasparini, Voice of Armwrestling (Coach Ray), Todd Hutchings, Michael Todd, etc.

I've been training in the Devon style with a martial arts/judo belt tied through a weight stack. Rising and pronating mostly. Wrist flexion at the gym with dumbbells. Table time with a club/practice group.

• Like 2

Ryan Bowen has a series on Insta and Tik Tok on beginner armwrestling. Coach Ray has about 3 months of free workouts. Michael Todd has a good series about the physics and the "why" on certain techniques on youtube. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

if you write mazurenko on youtube and do a video search then there are great champions and Russian and old-fashioned exercises

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 2:39 AM, steeve tremblay said:

if you write mazurenko on youtube and do a video search then there are great champions and Russian and old-fashioned exercises

Thanks, Steeve 

• Like 1