Return to peak grip strength?

anwnate

Question.  After an extended break (like 5 years) from grip training, how long would you guess (or even anecdotal evidence) it would take to reclaim your peak performance?

Obviously a myriad of factors go into this. Discounting large medical issues etc etc...just looking for some general off the cuff thoughts.

About ten days ago, I attempted grippers and found my max mms was about 55lbs shy of my best. After 3 sessions, Ive managed +14lbs gain (regain). I'm not optimistic enough to believe things will continue at this pace. Thoughts?

• Like 5

Depends on your health. If you're doing well I would guess one year for most stuff. Depends on how serious you train also of course.

• Like 2

I stepped away from grip from 2013 ish and I could close a #3 and hub 45's with some added weight. 

When I came back in 2020 I could still close a #3. I even CCS'd it the same day. It did however end up being g a very light #3  after I got it rated (138 rgc) 

During the time in-between I worked with my hands so I believe that definitely helped.  

With that being said I never lost the ability to rip a deck of cards or a phone book in half. 

So I believe it's hard to lose but will come back quickly.

• Like 1

I would stay optimistic...you already have the know how and experience of how you originally got that strong so you will likely return to it faster than it took you to originally reach that level, since you don't need to spend the time figuring out what worked for you anymore

• Like 2

Just keep training and you will eventually answer your question.

😁

I've taken lengthy breaks between weight training, and it only seemed like it took a month or two to get back in shape.  Be nice to yourself and don't rush it though.

Good luck.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, anwnate said:

Question.  After an extended break (like 5 years) from grip training, how long would you guess (or even anecdotal evidence) it would take to reclaim your peak performance?

Obviously a myriad of factors go into this. Discounting large medical issues etc etc...just looking for some general off the cuff thoughts.

About ten days ago, I attempted grippers and found my max mms was about 55lbs shy of my best. After 3 sessions, Ive managed +14lbs gain (regain). I'm not optimistic enough to believe things will continue at this pace. Thoughts?

I believe in 3 month, max 6 month.

• Like 1

Lots of factors of course but don't discount your age and general health - plus the "drive" to put in the same amount of work you did in the past may or may not be there.  Good luck!  Generally speaking I come back to a "new max" fairly quickly even now at my age.  Don't mistake your "today max" with your best ever PR kind of max from the past.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not nearly as long of a break as you've had but in june of 2021 i got injured and spent until early september recovering from it, Finally did grippers and a couple weeks later was already where i was before, Judging by the length of time you've been gone honestly it couldn't be more than a couple of months, Especially if you've maintained the muscle mass in your forearms to a good level

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1